iPhone XR Apple lying about battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowboarder, May 11, 2019.

1. snowboarder macrumors 6502

2. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Different ways of testing the battery results in different outcomes. Apple is not going to lie on it's website. So, no, Apple isn't lying.

Forbes is a clickbait website lately. The article starts off about the iphone 11 "taking flak". What does that mean? One person trashed the rumors of the leak? Two people, ten people, 100 people. Doesn't state the other side.

3. snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

50% less talk time? What magic "method" do you need to match Apple's claims?
    BTW Apple is very shady about their methods, UK Consumer reports are very clear what they do.

4. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

If apple is "lying" the ftc will come down on them. In the meantime, guilty until proven innocent? What's amazing to me is the timing. The phones have been out essentially for many months and now a puff piece is being written on this?

5. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Seems peculiar.....I haven’t read a iPhone review myself for years, but doesn’t every reputable review site test out every new iPhone and report back whether the battery usage time match Apple’s reported specs?? I haven’t heard about any other test claiming such a poor battery usage result.

6. JTBing macrumors regular

I don't know what tests they used, but their results are bogus. Countless battery life tests have been done on these phones by outside reviewers. Apple isn't just lying.

7. MultiMan, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019

MultiMan macrumors regular

MultiMan

You mean like FAA came down on Boeing for MCAS? Or not...

8. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Sure, exactly along those lines. A major aircraft safety issue and a battery longevity test. Yes, exactly an equivalent scenario.

9. MultiMan macrumors regular

MultiMan

All I ever see is playing videos until it dies. Can you link to a test just making phone calls, like this one?

10. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Exactly. Want additional verification rather than accepting this as a universal truth. Now if there are dozens of tests and this is repeatable, apple has some explaining. But right now, this is anecdotal. However, I'm sure apple can replicate it's own test results.

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You sound upset.

Perhaps taking a company at it's word when it exists solely for the profit of it's shareholders and not the benefit of the customer is a taxing process?

If you learn to take what any company says with a large grain of salt, do your own research and only buy with the knowledge that you may get screwed anyway things in your life will go much easier.

For instance, you won't be posting angry threads about lying companies anymore - because you'll already know they lie. They will have met your expectations so it won't be necessary.

And this is that Apple is better than most.

Another company lied. Yawn, what else is new?

12. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I definitely recall this for iPad reviews, but since I don’t usually read iPhone reviews I just quickly scanned some to see if this was also the case. It seems most don’t just play a video, but use some form of “mixed use” testing to simulate a day in the life of an iPhone user.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The author of the article and "Which?" don't seem to understand that the phrase "up to" does not mean guaranteed to get x amount each and every time.

The article is a waste of time. The author should find a new job.

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My iPhone XS MAX - according to Apple.com (https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/):

Internet use:
    Up to 13 hours

My iPhone XS MAX lasts easily 3-4 days with my usage (15+ hours of internet use). Screen time PROVES that Apple is LYING (because I get a lot more). Obviously Apple is lying.

"And of course their arrogant response is all they have left." Totally. The fact that they're selling millions upon millions of devices every quarter is definitely proof that their arrogant response is all they have left. Apple is done for sure now. Tim Cook should resign! (/sarcasm).

Sigh. I really need to find something else to do rather than respond to these posts.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Ahhh! But shoving the feeding pole down their throats so they gag and writhe in pain is such a rewarding feeling!

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

lol thanks for brightening my day, made me laugh. Indeed. I think they get a lot of satisfaction from the attention too.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just get rid of the POS and go to Android!

My MAX battery lasts way more than I need for a day, about twice as much as needed. Could not ask for more.

If you camp on your phone with brightness 100% playing games . . . . You will need to top off.

18. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

Many/most sites live by clickbait. I'm surprised so many people fall for the regurgitated garbage that seems to permeate so many news sites, even ones that once were reliable. The monetization of news has its consequences.

19. LeeW macrumors 6502a

LeeW

People use an iPhone to talk? Well, there is an interesting use I had never considered.

20. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

All companies fudge on facts, be it gas mileage or battery life or whatever.
    Which? Is an "advocacy" group, not a testing lab. Advocacy groups only have agendas, not real facts.
    IKD, I only charge my Max every 1.5 to 2 days.

I would like more than the corporate line from Apple, though.

21. eyoungren, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

It's laziness.

People don't want to do their own critical thinking or research. It's a certain form of work and simply believing everything they are told or shown is easier. It justifies their outrage (in their own minds) and makes their display of that outrage righteous.

Ignoring or dismissing facts that point out the fallibility of their outrage are common because a response opens them up to their own culpability.

22. Aydy macrumors 6502

Aydy

Doesn’t come across upset to me. Why is it when anybody posts anything resembling some truth (there is some truth in the article) and an interesting read for others they are automatically dismissed as upset, angry or plain wrong?

Manufacturers like to throw around “tested in a controlled environment” like its a real life scenario in which we are all likely to obtain the same results. We don’t live in controlled environments..far from it, we live in the real world where everybody’s results will differ. Temperature fluctuations, signal drops, poor location locking, network congestion etc. No matter how Apple or any other manufacturer test with these scenarios in mind it will only ever result in a rough estimate (used loosely) of what real world results may achieve.

My nearly new Xs Max is testament to the outlandish battery life claims made by Apple and have never come close to achieving the results they presumed I would from their controlled environment whilst in my own daily controlled environment (real world)

23. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

It's clickbait because "Apple lied" and this one anecdotal observation has yet to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt or dis-proven. My own max lasts two days between charges vs the barely one day of my old 6s with a new battery. Whether I get 10 hours of internet browsing, 9.5 hours or 11.5 hours on a given charge is irrelevant. And we all know that manufacturers test their products in ideal conditions. So it boils down to how the information is presented, which makes it click bait, but that can be a far cry from "lying".

24. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

So can someone post a screenshot of "screen time" showing the phone app running for 25 hrs?

25. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I don’t know about all this stuff but My bottom line is that my iPhone X battery is good enough. I don’t really have any problems And I am satisfied. And I’m not about to switch to android just because somebody said something.