Apple lying to its customers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 007bond, Apr 3, 2009.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

i just contacted apple on their chat about something that was bugging me. the non inclusion of the apple remote on the new iMacs. i contacted a rep an they said that there were never apple remotes in the iMac boxes. then another rep said none for the last five years. the last rep said two generations. i swear the last gen iMacs had remotes in them. try asking them and see what happens. i don't know why they lied and im sorry for going on like this. im just a little pissed off.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My parents bought one in November and it came with a remote. It is likely not that they are lying, but they are misinformed.

TEG

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If Apple was purposefully lying to their customers, surely their answers would be more uniform in nature.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

And how is what used to be included relevant?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um did you even read the op?

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...and the keyboards never came with number pads...:p... go get a previous gen iMac then...:D

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Why does that bug you? It's what $15, and only a few people ever use it. I have never seen anyone use an Apple remote. It's just waste for the majority of people.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Congratulations on totally missing the point. The thread is about Apple customer service reps giving out false information. Whether it's due to misinformation or just plain lying remains to be seen.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Yes they used to come with iMacs and i got one with my macbook too.

10. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

they come with macbooks now?!? o_O i want one! since when did they do that? i never got any with my macbook :/

11. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Sorry i meant to type blackbook. I got one with my 2.16 blackbook

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

They used to. Unfortunately they don't anymore.

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Apple's been cutting back. They also don't include any DP to DVI/VGA adaptors on the new macbook airs where as the first generation did include both adaptors.

They'll do anything to cut costs and keep those margins higher.

I would say its kind of silent price increase. Yeah the prices stay the same on the website, but now you have to spend more to get the same set up you got before.

I do agree, most people don't use remotes, but I happen to use it all the time. It especially comes in handy for doing Keynote presentations which I do often enough.

I wonder what they'll strip out on their next round of cost cutting. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped providing restore CDs + printed manuals and instead did the whole built-in partition + program to make your own thing that most PC manufacturers have been doing for years (with a PDF manual on the computer). After all, $2 to make a restore CD kit + printed manual and inserting it into every computer would save them a million dollars every time they shipped 500,000 units.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The past isn't going to be changed just because you find out whether or not someone lied.

This just doesn't even MATTER anymore, as they don't ship with them.

This would be an issue if they DID still come with one, you didn't get one, and when you called Apple about it, they said that remotes never came with Macs, but this isn't the case.

15. ZunePod macrumors regular

+1. This happens all the time in big companies.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've seen reps on the floor of my local apple store telling people that 'the screens on the new macbooks are exactly the same as on the pros, only smaller.

-1, either for honesty or competence

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As the owner of the last gen iMac (April 2008), I can confirm that they DID come with a remote.

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

One I use the remote. So the argument that no one uses them is just wrong. Two misleading people is just wrong. I can live with the getting rid of the remote, but don't try and hide that your doing that.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

But who gives a damn about what has been included in exactly which previous versions of a Mac? The customer service reps should know exactly and tell you exactly what is contained in a currently shipping computer. There is no need for them to know what previous versions contained, and exactly when this changed. If you find that interesting, write a wikipedia article.

Now the original poster claims that "Apple is lying". Lying means deliberately saying what you know is not the truth. There is no evidence at all this is the case. Even if what the original poster posted was the truth. I would, however, have my suspicions that what he posted is not literally what these people said. Quite likely what was actually said is "I don't know if the remotes where ever included, but I ask my colleague" and the next one said "I think it was five years ago, but I'll ask someone else", and the third one said "I think they were removed two versions ago, but I'm not sure". The OP also claims "I swear the last gen iMacs had remotes in them". If that turns out to be false, should we call that "lying under oath"?

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You expect a customer service rep to know about past products? They have enough problems understanding current products.

Thread fail.

21. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Every sales person lies to customers at some point - what else is new. Apple is not much different from everyone else in this case, so I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

22. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

When I bought my plastic iMac in 2006 it had a remote included.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Exactly. Remotes were included up through the first aluminum iMac, and then they were removed. Remotes were included up through the Early 2008 MacBook family, and then removed there.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Before, many models came with the Apple Remote. It was included.

Things change over time and people become confused.

Just took a look at the Apple Store. The Apple Remote is a $19 option for the MB, MBA, MBP, Mac Mini and the iMac.

25. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I wonder how many of these remotes are just sitting is drawers, doing nothing. That's what the one I got with the family iMac is doing.................