Apple Mac Pro 2010 - What would you like to see changed?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ag55, Jul 26, 2009.

1. ag55 macrumors regular

Similar thread in the iMac section, just wondering what people think will be included in the next Mac Pro, and what they would like to see.

Im not even sure if there will be a new one (im new to the :apple: game :)
    But if there was, i would be happy with:

* Blu-Ray drive built in
    * eSata
    * USB 3.0

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Single Core i7 CPU for the cheapest option, not a server version, I know this would require a new motherboard built, but seriously, it would be damn nice to have a cheaper Mac Pro.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I'm up in the air if I want a revision to the case. It just looks perfect how it is now. However they could use more ram slots for the quad core.

E-sata would be nice, but I need more USB ports. 3 on the back is kind of low.

Mic on the front as well.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It'll probably be late '10, if that.

But, I'd want to see a cheaper Mac Pro.
    Stock Options as these:

Quad 2.93:

6GB RAM
    720GB Hard Drive
    $2200

Octad 2.66:
    8GB RAM
    1TB HD
    $2800

Octad 2.93:
    10GB RAM
    1TB HD
    $3800

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

This, plus Firewire 3200. And, of course, newer, better (more extensive?) graphics cards options.

Oh, and possibly more HDD bays. Maybe some 2.5" bays for SSDs? All else I could really ask for is built in RAID card functionality, but that's never going to happen.

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

cheaper, powered mic inputs, not usb, and blu-ray support :p

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

esata is a must, so many external drives have that as an option, sometimes without fw800. Comparing to my 2008 MP there is not a huge amount I would change except for cheaper and faster lol. Blueray would be useful for backing up but I dont know if it is still too expensive overall.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Core i7s work in the current Mac Pro. There is NO price difference between Core i7 and the Xeon 3500s Apple are using. Using Core i7 would mean offering both ECC and non ECC memory and Apple having to deal with both types. There would be no cost savings for the consumer.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Mic Inputs? No USB? What? :confused:

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Its unclear if the Xeon 3600/5600 series will replace the current Xeon 3500/5500 series used in the Mac Pros. If they do then I think we can expect 6 and 12 core systems and not 4 and 8.

I want to see 12 memory slots, but at the very least they need to move to 9 so you get full bandwidth on all slots rather than this crippled version.

12. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

proper powered mic inputs, i've got a G5 and i needed a usb audio input device to record, on a PC normal audio jacks are powered :p

13. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

I love my '09, but a few things I'd want to see done on a new model (some to fix current deficiencies, some just because of new tech coming out):

1) 4 PCI-E graphics card power plugs to support 2 high power cards (Open CL / multiple monitor high performance support without having to HACK it.)

2) USB 3.0

3) eSata

4) SATA3 (6G)

5) normal 5.1 sound outputs so you can use NORMAL 5.1 computer speaker setups

6) Blue Ray disk

Wouldn't mind seeing the new 6 core chips... More graphics card choices wouldn't be bad either!

14. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Come to think of it a mic would be handy. And i can see a need for more USB ports too, any new device just takes one up and i dont like USB hubs, make setups look untidy.

Built in wi-fi card, if the iMac has got it then the pro should too.

15. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

dont the mac pro support airport extreme cards then?

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

IR for using the remote.

I would like it, as I use it to stream to my stereos and it would be nice to be able to remotely manage it without having a MBP or iphone to control it.

17. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Agree with that first one, but isn't the sound outputs thing really the realm of PCIe sound card makers? Or alternatively, software revision to make surround sound in OS X work better with the toslink jack? I was hoping, a while back, that it might make it into 10.6, but I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Surround sound through AAC is still broken, too, annoyingly enough.

18. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Do people really need 12 cores?

19. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

if final cut will utilize all 12 then yes.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Exactly. As long as applications have improved performance with additional cores, there will always be a need for additional cores.

21. ventro macrumors 6502a

New case design with dust filter
    Support for PC video cards
    Front facing bootable SD Card slot
    SSD Bays in addition to standard drive bays (kill the second drive bay, nobody uses it)
    Quieter fans
    Black keyed, backlit keyboard
    Aluminum mighty mouse

22. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Currently holding out on 12 cores, TYVM. Oh, by the way, yes, that's the main thing I want in a new MacPro. Nothing like a heater in the winter and your own personal render farm!:):D

With twelve cores I would imagine would be additional heat that would have to be exchanged; maybe the "cheese grater" could have an algorithm run through it to keep its structure similar but maximise airflow if it hasn't been done already (which I bet it has).

Oh, and an on-board Intel NIC - the current Realtek one works, but... Realtek... ((I COULD be wrong on this, but I was sure it was Realtek)) Maybe even a built-in 10 Gb/s connection :D Solve all my potential data-transfer problems!

And the demise of MiniDisplayPort and the Apple RAID card, since I'm dreaming.

What else... a pony?:p

EDIT - ONE LAST IMPORTANT THING!
    More PCIe lanes. Make 'em x16, x16, x8, x4, at the very LEAST.

23. miiles macrumors regular

24. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They are moving to a 32nm process, there won't be huge TDPs on these processors. The Mac Pro has handled 150W in the past.

25. Eithanius macrumors 65816

And from my experience, Mac Pro with two 150W TDP processors like the Clovertown ain't that environmentally friendly.

The upcoming 5600-series Gulftown has a TDP rating of 130W, so most likely Apple will list this as a CTO option on top of the present Gainestown at reduced price, or probably Intel's unannounced lower Gulftown series.