Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
BTW, I want SAS ports. At the Mac Pro's price, that's what their SATA should be.

Don't you mean built-in hardware support for SAS, or built in hardware RAID? If all you need to do is add their RAID card, technically they are SAS ports. Just crippled SAS ports.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
2008 pricing
full blu-ray support
HD carriers for 2,5 and 3,5"
EFI support for Gulftown CPUs
FW 3200, USB 3.0
more space in first PCIe slot to CPU/RAM bay
4 PCIe power connectors
2 ATI and 2 NVIDIA BTO and after market graphics cards working in all Mac Pros
using standardized DDR3 memory of highest clock per CPU
6 SATA III ports capable of eSATA
SD-card reader with boot capability
AHCI drivers in Bootcamp

Trev311

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Pumpkin Land
Exactly what I was thinking :D:D:):D I can imagine just buying a MacPro to run headless for rendering... ah, the bliss. Maybe, just maybe Nuke would support it:confused::eek: Probably not; would support for a coprocessor card not just have to be written in the driver and in the OS, but also for the program itself?

Indeed, a MacPro with an on-board cell, two 8 core Sandy Bridge cpu's and a Nvida Tesla card would be a pretty amazing beast. Though as I understand it, the OS and the program would both have to be written to handle that power otherwise it would go to waste.

Apple rumors seem to swell around the iPhone/iPod and the mystery product(s) that everyone seems to love to discuss. I think the major reason for this is that with Intel there is now a published roadmap and the updates to the MacPro are generally going to follow that roadmap. Since Apple has more control over the iPhone/iPod lines rumors will swirl more since there are less facts to go on. Remember the thread about what would be on the 2009 MacPro? There was tons of information (and speculation) in that thread, but how many front page rumors where there in that time? The time and processor has become easier (not perfect though) to predict for the "workstation" computer so there are less rumors going on about it.

Big Boss Man

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I would like to see Apple update the 30" ACD and then provide a video card for the Mac Pro that can run two of the updated 30" ACDs.

patpro

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
If ZFS ever comes to Mac OS X, I would love getting rid of those 4 3.5" HD trays to gain 10 2.5" HD trays, with native support for mixed SAS (yummy savvio) and SATA disks.
Next feature: I would love total silence (no GPU fan, etc.)

I have no use for eSATA, but I've to admit, one external port would not hurt.

Trev311

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Pumpkin Land
Yes. Like a $300 Core i7 mobo.
Exactly!

If ZFS ever comes to Mac OS X, I would love getting rid of those 4 3.5" HD trays to gain 10 2.5" HD trays, with native support for mixed SAS (yummy savvio) and SATA disks.
Next feature: I would love total silence (no GPU fan, etc.)

I have no use for eSATA, but I've to admit, one external port would not hurt.

I don't see why we couldn't have something like a best of both worlds with a few of the 3.5" and a few of the 2.5" (or even just one to start). The ability to mix and match SAS and SATA drives is one that I left off my list but would definitely be nice to have. While at it, why not just integrate the RAID card? :D

patpro

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
I don't see why we couldn't have something like a best of both worlds with a few of the 3.5" and a few of the 2.5" (or even just one to start).

Just one 2.5" is useless (for me). I want RAID6 (or RAIDZ) of 2.5" = I need at least 4, and 6 would be great.

The ability to mix and match SAS and SATA drives is one that I left off my list but would definitely be nice to have. While at it, why not just integrate the RAID card? :D

hmm, ZFS is enough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Storage_pools

Trev311

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Pumpkin Land
Just one 2.5" is useless (for me). I want RAID6 (or RAIDZ) of 2.5" = I need at least 4, and 6 would be great.

hmm, ZFS is enough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Storage_pools

The only reason I said just one to start is because I don't think it would be wise to completely drop the 3.5" so soon. That said I don't know if they would redesign the case to be big enough to hold 4 and 4. As someone else already said they could drop the second optical disk drive, but that would only free up enough room for two right?

Also ZFS would be enough, but I would think someone would want RAID 5/50 which still wouldn't be quite the same with RAIDZ.

ZFS was supposed to be included in the Server edition of Snow Leopard, but Apple has since pulled it. I presume they couldn't get HFS/+ to work with it properly.

So it's not going to show up just yet. :(

This is one of the single most disappointing things about Snow Leopard so far. I only hope there aren't too many other disappointments.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
[ZFS] is one of the single most disappointing things about Snow Leopard so far. I only hope there aren't too many other disappointments.

Yes indeed. I was really looking forward to this as well - more along the lines of RAID Z/Z2, but those (I would imagine) require the ZFS filesystem. Perhaps sometime in the future :(

patpro

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
ZFS was supposed to be included in the Server edition of Snow Leopard, but Apple has since pulled it.

Yep, that's why I've started my first post with "If ZFS ever comes to Mac OS X".
That's sad, like many others here, I was really looking forward to this feature.

About dropping 3.5" support, it's not a major issue to me, I'm really more interested in the ability to mix SAS and SATA than in the ability to mix 2.5" and 3.5".
But in a perfect world, the next Mac Pro would support a mix of SAS/SATA in 2.5" and 3.5. May be 2 3.5" for SATA terabyte HD and 4 or 6 2.5" for fast IO (SAS, SSD).
Lets keep dreaming. My tower is still a G5 with only 2 HD slots.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I use ZFS all day long. I love Solaris. :)

Anyways, I wish we could get a price cut just like everybody else. I keep saying no to the pro for its price tag.

kraftzwerg

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2005
definitely cheaper prices - I find the current pricing outrageous - and did you see what they charge for a 1 TB hard drive?

should offer BTO hard drives in 1.5 and 2 TB sizes at reasonable prices ...

also, they should offer the NVIDIA 285 as a BTO option - they sell it in the Apple Store, why not make it an upgrade option when ordering?

all of this really must be done rather sooner than later - there's absolutely no reason for waiting until 2010 and they are annoying customers

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Not doing it keeps the value of the computer higher.

Or it keeps enough people from buying the current machine. How many 'waiting for X architecture' threads have we seen?

I know I'm not buying a Mac Pro 12mo after it was released at the same price point, it's ridiculous.

Stephen73

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
Mac Pro lite?

The Mac Pro Lite, X-Mac, etc...

Apple seems to have no interest in this. Shame since I think it would be an excellent market for them.

I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat...

Mac-Maxi.jpg

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'd like to see some nice 1TB solid state drives, 30 inch displays with a camera / mic in them, faster ram than 1066MHz, 1200,1400,1600 would be nice...?

i7 octo with @ 3.2GHz/3.4GHz, 12-16MB L3 cache.. gtx 295 2GB?

I'd like to see something like that, and of course, a lot cheaper!

I always wondered, what's the "Bus speed" for??? (I assume it's the fsb) but what does it actually do? and also what's the L3 cache do better than an L2 cache?

I've also been wondering why apple don't have 1600MHz ram :O

Kind Regards

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
The only 1TB SSD I'm aware of ATM, is the recent press release on the OCZ Colossus. The estimated cost is $2500USD, so a tad steep. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.