Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I know 20+ audio professionals who are unhappy with the new Mac Pro and if it didn't change move over to windows. Most of them still stick with their 3.1 and 4s for as long as they can.

We are talking generally about all Apple products, not specifically about a certain model. So that includes the average consumer.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
All this talk about "The Professional User" reminds me of the 2008 election campaign blah about "Joe the Plumber". Broad-sweeping generalizations about a fictional figure who supposedly embodied all of working-class America.

"The Pro" seems to be fashioned in a similar manner. A fictional figure supposedly representing every person using a computer professionally.

vailr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
The presumed Republican nominee Mr. Trump has stated that Apple will be convinced to relocate their iPhone factories from China to the U.S., if he is elected President. Hopefully Carly Fiorina won't be the one selected as Vice President in charge of technology issues.

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
We are talking generally about all Apple products, not specifically about a certain model. So that includes the average consumer.

You are aware that his migration to a Windows HP Workstation is closely related to the Mac Pro right?

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
Here's the big thing I really struggle to figure out:

Apple is the most valuable company in the world (on and off, always near the top). They must have a huge amount of employees. What then are they all doing?

1. The iPhone has remained essentially the same for as long as I can remember. Yes we get a new camera nearly every year, yes we got better Touch ID and a force touch screen, but overall, the phone is the same! You could've come up with this with a handful of people at most.
2. The stuttering iPad has got thinner and bigger with a stylus. Again, easily done with a handful of people.
3. The Apple TV gets apps. Great but probably easy enough to slap a new skin in iOS.
4. The Apple Watch, I was excited but a year on it's the worst Apple product I've ever owned. I resent having a watch that won't last a full day on one charge. Utterly pointless.
5. iMac gets a great screen.
6. MacBook, super thin, USB and new keyboard. This is the product that could easily have been developed alongside the new MacBook Pros and perhaps it actually was.

I've probably missed a couple of things off the list, but I think I've got the main ones. When you looks at that list, you've got to wonder what the hell they are doing in Cupertino. Either the new MacBook pros are ready but they need to be announced alongside MacOS for whatever reason, or they're disappointing enough to need to be sandwiched between a new Apple Music app (oh great, thanks) and a couple more Apple Watch bands.....or maybe the apple car will fly and that's what everyone is working on!

That's my opinion anyway. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Not only will the Apple Car fly, but it'll run off of Mr. Fusion too!

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Yes and an aggregation of those personal experience at a highly concentrated forum tell you something more if you want to open your eyes and not engage in sophistry knowing youre at the end of a losing argument. When you're weak on facts, argue procedure. When you're weak on procedure, argue facts. When you're weak on both, just engage in sophistry. I eagerly await youre note about statistical relevance not being to your standards. Whatevers.
[doublepost=1462388688][/doublepost]

After that, I hope we get a few committees. An assessment committee. Then a pre-action plan committee. Maybe a pre-pre action plan committee first.

We've had surveys here before with hundreds of answers, but then the sophists complain about the statistical relevancy on probably the worlds largest professional mac pro forum... Bunch of sophist noise.

But, but... They've got huge collaboration tables to build.

Survey says: "Your Call is Important to Us!" http://www.amazon.com/Your-Call-Important-Us-********/dp/1400081033

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
What has always amazed me during the 3 years we have been debating the failures of nMP is the passion behind the "accept mediocrity" folks.

I get that people who feel abandoned by the "meh" specs can get wound up. But how do the "assimilate with the majority" folks get so riled up? They like having average stuff, but are offended that we expect more from Apple? "Resistance is futile, accept middling tech" we keep being told, but why do they care?

Apple already makes the middle-of-the-road stuff they apparently crave, why get upset that we want more? What does it hurt to expect more?

We want Apple to take their machines seriously and aim higher than the kids at the mall. It isn't sacrilege to expect more, is it?

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
We want Apple to take their machines seriously and aim higher than the kids at the mall. It isn't sacrilege to expect more, is it?
Apple is run by bean counters, and $10M invested in iToy updates pays more than $10M invested in state of the art high end. (Most bean counters don't consider halo effects.)

If there isn't even a minor update to the tube at MacWorld SF 2016, assume that the bean counters have decided to kill the line. Bean counters don't like dealing with footnotes on the revenue stream, especially if the ROI is a footnote as well. Sorry creative professionals, but Apple want the kids at the mall.

Apple needs a visionary who will plant the beans, and then climb the stalk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vivek-wadhwa/what-if-elon-musk-ran-apple_b_9820772.html

Apple's dismal earnings announcement shows why it badly needs to rethink its innovation model and leadership. Its last breakthrough innovation was the iPhone - which was released in 2007. Since then, Apple has simply been tweaking its componentry, adding faster processors and more advanced sensors, and playing with its size - making it bigger in the iPad and smaller in the Apple Watch. Chief executive Tim Cook is probably one of the most competent operations executives in the industry but is clearly not a technology visionary. Apple needs another Steve Jobs to reinvent itself otherwise it will join the ranks of HP and Compaq.

That Steve Jobs may be Elon Musk - who has proven to be the greatest visionary of our times.

In the same period that Apple released the iPhone and successors, Musk developed two generations of world-changing electric vehicles; perfected a new generation of battery technologies; and released first-generation autonomous driving capabilities. And that was in Tesla Motors. In his other company, SpaceX, Musk developed a spacecraft, docked it with the International Space Station, and returned with cargo. He's launched two rockets to space that have made vertical landings back on Earth - one on a helicopter-like pad and another on a ship in the ocean. Musk is also developing the Hyperloop, a high-speed transportation system in which pressurized capsules ride on an air cushion driven by linear induction motors and air compressors.

(clink link to read more)

Last edited:

mathpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
If there isn't even a minor update to the tube at MacWorld SF 2016, assume that the bean counters have decided to kill the line.

I agree: WWDC is the drop dead date. I've been pricing out other options, and Dell seems like the best deal. Why are so many people obsessed with the HP-Z machines? They seem overpriced compared with Dell.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I agree: WWDC is the drop dead date. I've been pricing out other options, and Dell seems like the best deal. Why are so many people obsessed with the HP-Z machines? They seem overpriced compared with Dell.
I buy about a million dollars of stuff a year for our group, and I buy HPE servers and Dell workstations. No rationally defensible reason - but I got a bad bunch of cheap Dell servers, and find the mechanical design of the HPE servers to be far friendlier. (Everything is tool-less, the fact that the BIOS has a webserver for setup and management is wonderful.) Today's Dells may be fine, but my data center is built around the HP management tools. Not changing over a few percent difference in the discount price.

Exactly the same (but opposite) for workstations. No issues with Dell - and they're so quiet that I've actually pulled PCIe cards out of running Dell Precisions because I didn't realize that they were running. (No problems resulted - but OMG nonetheless). I did have a loaner Z840 from HP for a while, and it was also a fine system.

The HP Z840 was beautiful inside (which is probably why Apple fans look at them). Baffles and panels to direct airflow (that have to be removed to get inside). HP pays attention to the "inside the box" beauty - Dell makes sure that the engineering is good, but not too much on pretty for the sake of pretty.
___

Perhaps the strongest thing that I can say is that when I bought a new home system (on my dime), I bought a Dell Precision T3610. Same CPU and chipset as the MP6,1 6-core, but 8 DIMM slots, a bunch of PCIe slots, and room for 6 SSDs and two optical inside. (And of course, the four year next business day at home warranty.)

[Had some less than completely happy experiences with some DIY systems, and wanted ECC RAM so that there would never be a question about a memory error.]

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
What has always amazed me during the 3 years we have been debating the failures of nMP is the passion behind the "accept mediocrity" folks.

I get that people who feel abandoned by the "meh" specs can get wound up. But how do the "assimilate with the majority" folks get so riled up? They like having average stuff, but are offended that we expect more from Apple? "Resistance is futile, accept middling tech" we keep being told, but why do they care?

Apple already makes the middle-of-the-road stuff they apparently crave, why get upset that we want more? What does it hurt to expect more?

Mediocrity? Aim high? Kind of like how Nvidia has to use software to do the hardwares job, async compute anyone? ( Yeah, your favorite topic ) But lets only turn a blind eye to that one. I know you have. How about...

Microsoft Windows...Still uses a fragmenting file system, a registry. Tablet interface on a desktop? Skylake users have to upgrade to Windows 10?!? Secretly downloading Windows 10 on a users computer taking up precious drive space. Transmitting user data back to Microsoft.

Nvidias awful use of proprietary software like Gameworks, CUDA, PhysX, VRWorks. Now conveniently baked in to third party games making it play terrible on AMD and other graphic cards.

Seems the same people are fine accepting mediocrity outside of Apple.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
I went ahead and ordered myself a new Dell Precision M7510 mobile workstation.
i7-6920HQ, 32GB RAM, Quadro M2000M graphics, 512GB PCI-e NVMe SSD, 1080p IPS screen, and some other extra little features. It came to $2153 after the 9.75% WA sales tax.
I don't think Apple would have ever offered something like this at this price.
[doublepost=1462413745][/doublepost]
And of course, the four year next business day at home warranty.
Yeah, can't beat the 3 year next day service from Dell. I had a low end Latitude E5440 laptop that needed a new motherboard. Called Dell in the morning, they ordered the part and sent a tech at my house the next day. Very impressed.

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015

This isn't average anymore, more like abysmal. Even a minor update won't get anybody buy into their current "pro" line.

Reactions: analog900

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Mediocrity? Aim high? Kind of like how Nvidia has to use software to do the hardwares job, async compute anyone? ( Yeah, your favorite topic ) But lets only turn a blind eye to that one. I know you have. How about...

Microsoft Windows...Still uses a fragmenting file system, a registry. Tablet interface on a desktop? Skylake users have to upgrade to Windows 10?!? Secretly downloading Windows 10 on a users computer taking up precious drive space. Transmitting user data back to Microsoft.

Nvidias awful use of proprietary software like Gameworks, CUDA, PhysX, VRWorks. Now conveniently baked in to third party games making it play terrible on AMD and other graphic cards.

Perfect example of what I meant

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015

They are not. Nvidia has been called out and ridiculed several times. several nvidia users, me included are actually hoping for an AMD comeback. there are certainly some very rabid fanboys on both the amd and nvidia side though, il acknowledge that and they are an absolute nuisance, as bad and often worse than Apple fanboys.

however, Microsoft fanboys virtually dont exist, you can barely find a single person on earth who would tell you they love Windows. i have never seen a person defend any of the microsoft issues you mentioned. in fact, pc users are actively criticising microsoft for most of them.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Rose gold case option...

You heard it here first.
I'm partial to this one:

macpro1[1].jpg

Cobalt blue and emerald green might also be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.