Apple Makes $29 Battery Replacements Available Immediately for iPhone 6 and Newer

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 30, 2017.

1. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Macbook purchases come next-day but these battery shipments gonna take months eh?

2. naryfa macrumors newbie

Hold them accountable for all other devices, iPads, iPods, Airs, Pros and regular Macbooks.

3. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Macbooks have defects the day of purchase regardless of how many replacements. I'm starting to think it's built into your Apple ID.

4. zcforlife, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

zcforlife macrumors newbie

zcforlife

Would you have preferred your phone shut down by itself randomly instead?

Btw, congrats! You spent essentially the same amount of money to make it irreparable by Apple in the future

5. abetancort macrumors newbie

abetancort

Yes
    Yes, and for the exploding Samsung Notes too. ‘cause they didn’t let Samsung know about the code that allowed iOS to interactively throttle back the phone processors to avoid compromising the battery (new or old). It was what is known as a trade secret, a competitive advantage, and that’s why they couldn’t tell anyone what they were doing.

Since neither Samsung nor Google knew about that feature, they couldn’t copy it by reverse engineering the idea. Thus some of the Android phones that were pushed to go as fast or faster than the iPhones simply ended becoming dangerous battery torches.

Use what God put inside your head to think by yourself, go to the source, and do let the media get you use to receiving what you have to think precooked, sealed, reheated and ready to eat without you thinking independently and making your own personal opinion.

Give me a lever and a pivot and I shall move the world.”

6. bmark macrumors regular

Apple needs people to go to their stores since the iPhone X has been a flop! New retail strategy is to deny battery replacements based on worthless battery testing and then push their latest device. Throttlegate has created new upsell opportunities for them.

7. cmaier macrumors G4

iPhone X is only a flop if you believe the shortsellers. You see them everywhere out here when you are out and about, and they represented a sizable portion of holiday activations.

8. abetancort, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

abetancort macrumors newbie

abetancort

You just discovered the powder, man!

Any laptop, from any maker as long as its a laptop, is a huge technical compromise and they are more prone to failures and manufacturing defects that any comparable desktop. It’s a given, anyone that buys a laptop instead of a desktop without requiring one (specially when choosing the extremes, the smallest form factor or the most powerful) is just throwing a lot of money down the drain.

But if people want to have Macbook Pros when they should be getting an iMac and Air/iPad Pro (or equivalent) just because they believe it’ll make then look cooler at the Coffee Shop to put on the table a top of the line MacBook Pro, so be it. Go ahead live with the unforgiving compromises but please, be consecuent, don’t start barking when those compromises start coming around to bite your arse.

9. bmark macrumors regular

I guess you missed the news that Apple cut iPhone X production from 50 million units to 30 million units. Below is the link stating the demand has dropped faster than ever for the notched device!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...s-drop-on-report-of-weak-iphone-x-demand.html

10. gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

I hear ya but I still don’t understand what’s your beef with them wanting you on the latest iOS considering all the bugs all of us went through I actually think that makes perfect sense. Curious to hear if your issues clear once u get your FREE battery.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    Seriously the X is a flop? By whose standards? What bar? What litmus test? Apple has never had the mix of phones it has on the market to-day. There is no way for any analyst to know how good the X is doing since it’s 8/8+ are out there. I’m gonna say this again — do YOU have an X ? Yes or no?

11. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Instead if getting an MacBook Pro, get a iMac and MacBook air? You do realise that is even a bigger compromise for someone who is a MacBook Pro customer. Given the iMac itself is a compromise .... you could say Mac Pro, but they bollocks that up. Which takes one back to the MacBook Pro, if you need a portable , it's gonna to be a lot better than the air ;) while the iMac sits at home / office unused .
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    Why are Apple now replacing batteries over 80% ? I suspect the test shows batteirs over 80% and units are throttled. Throttling may also kick in based on age.

Let's get more info before we assume , Apple is making these replacement...... more concerning all those people prior to this who were rejected. If Apple is replacing batteries with 89%..... the % is meaningless ... let's me honest , 11% loss, that is a waste of time.

12. Chones cajones macrumors newbie

If Apple had been upfront and honest about exactly *why* it was happening, then yes, absolutely. Then I could have chosen to purchase a new battery to rectify the problem. But if they'd done that, all they would have done was make a small profit from all their iPhone customers purchasing new batteries every couple of years. Compare that to the very large profit they've been making by allowing customers to believe they needed to purchase - much more expensive - new phones on the same timescale, and it's not hard to see why they chose not to inform their customers. It's all about increasing profits.

I think the backhanded compliment is a little unnecessary. Anyway... Yes, I spent roughly the same amount of money to replace the battery myself, but I didn't have to leave my house and it took me far less time than the round trip journey to my nearest Apple store would have. Also, I'd be very surprised if Apple were to carry out some sort of repair in the future on a phone that's already about two and half years old, at no cost to me. If there's a cost, I'd probably be more likely to invest that money in a new phone, rather than waste it on fixing an old one. At this stage, likely something that isn't an iPhone.

13. what_is_wrong_with_you macrumors newbie

what_is_wrong_with_you

So, you're saying that anyone who buys a laptop is just doing it so they can look cooler at the coffee shop? Suppose you're a student who needs to do work on a computer between classes without going home, or someone who travels constantly for work and doesn't want to have to schlep around an iMac?

Also the claim that laptops are more prone to failure and manufacturing defects than any comparable desktop sounds plausibile, but *citation needed*; i.e. where's the data betch?

14. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i mean, if you tell apple you will pay them money to replace a battery, who are they to refuse? i can walk into apple right now and tell them to give me a new battery and if i pay my cash, I'm sure they'd accept it.

15. MH01 Suspended

MH01

The procedure prior to all this blowing up , was for Apple to test your battery , and if it passed, they refused to change it , even if you threw money at them, you would know that if you read this thread ;) hence this is one of the issues in debate here.

Now that this has blown up, Apple are very quickly changing thier stance , to what it should have been, if I want to change my battery, I should be allowed to, forget the test , I'm paying .

This is why people are upset. Apple needed to approve us to hand over $ for a new battery, tests were passing, and phones were throttling, win win for Apple some would argue that drove people to upgrade. We are not just whinging , there is valid reasoning on why this is a real mess.

16. laz232 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately Battery capacity is not accurate to 1% - therefore your data is a meaningless statistic.

17. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I have just one question with the pending law suits, what are they hoping to get out of it?

Also what is Apple likely to do, drag this out or settle out of court... NEW iPhones for all!

18. MH01 Suspended

MH01

To what percentage is it accurate to? Feel free to contribute something meaningful.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    For me, I just want this throttling removed , and Apple not to do something like this in the future, where they cripple my device and don't even give me the option of correcting the issue, which in this case was a simple battery replacement.

Transparency - trust is in damage in control at the moment, as I have no intention of getting the X for £1350 for Apple to throttle it in 12 months .

I had the X, was going to get it again, now , not until they drop the throttling. Glad my 7 plus was not updated to iOS 11.

19. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Were you already on iOS 11 on both devices? If not, did the Apple geniuses coerce you into upgrading?

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

I got a 3rd party replacement rather than pay the full apple price. Wish I'd have waited another month now :(

21. kstotlani macrumors 6502

I went to an authorised retailer in Melbourne and they used the word “consumed” not %. They said your battery is not showing as consumed. It’s on the edge but not there yet so I didn’t get a replacement. This is my 5th or 6th trip in 3 months to an Apple store. Every trip makes me want to get out of the ecosystem. I got stuck with the Apple Watch 3 now. 2 more years maybe but the way Apple is going they are just pissing off a lot of people.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    What do you think about bad coding in the iOS codebase and bad battery. I think that is a possibility that the code isn’t optimised and they patched it with throttling. My 2 cents.

22. Marekul macrumors member

I guess people would prefer a device that works within the advertised specs. And if the device can not do that for whatever reason they would want to know about it. Because then they could return their phone and demand their money back. Or accept the device has a design flaw and either replace the battery frequently or live with a device that works at less than 50% of advertised speed.

Apple will loose the class action, and I hope it costs them more that they made of this fraudulent business practice.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Apple is not going to do that because they don’t believe what they did was wrong. At most they may adjust the code so it’s not so aggressive in slowing down the phone and they may be more aggressive in surfacing that the battery may need to be replaced but they’re not going to go back to spontaneous shut downs.

24. Vytas Vytautas Suspended