Apple Makes $29 Battery Replacements Available Immediately for iPhone 6 and Newer

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 30, 2017.

1. bmark macrumors regular

Apple failed to deliver a killer product at a $999 price point which is too high for the average consumer. Now add the throttling issue and aren’t making any friends wirh their loyal customer base. There’s a reason they omitted the iPhone X from their 4th quarter report on purpose.

2. cmaier macrumors G4

Yeah, here’s the reason: “Pre-orders for the iPhone X opened in late Oct. and the phone hits retail on Nov. 3, which means this report doesn't include any iPhone X unit sales.”

3. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I won’t be holding my breath. One bets against Apple to their own detriment.

4. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

5. laz232 macrumors regular

Don’t have Apples design data - few percent 2-3% from run to run at 2sigma seems realistic...

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyp086/slyp086.pdf

Sent from phone

6. forerunnerg34 macrumors regular

forerunnerg34

Between iOS9 and iOS what Would you say was so new that iPhone5s couldn't run ? The same between IOS 10 and IOS11, what is for you that feature that slow down the entire phone?

7. forerunnerg34 macrumors regular

forerunnerg34

Then release iOS12... the only feature: it will be clean of Apple "customer care" code.

8. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Samsung phones exploded and injured people. They also deliberately didn't issue an official recall until two weeks later. I'm not sure why you think Apple's scandal is worse.

9. stepandy macrumors member

They did recommend to upgrade to the latest iOS

10. DoYouLikePie?, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

DoYouLikePie? macrumors member

DoYouLikePie?

What a ridiculous assessment; don't go to law school. The allegation is plainly that Apple would have insidiously throttled devices without their customers' knowledge and consent, which would make it more likely for a customer to purchase a new device. Apple would rely on customer loyalty and the fact that the customer would (as any consumer would not just Apple customers) assume degradation in performance over a year or two was a normal occurrence of product aging, not a deliberate action by the very company they patronized. The fact that the customer did not know what Apple was doing and could reasonably expect a device to degrade somewhat over time completely nullifies your absurd argument that Apple's plan was to give the customer a "crappy experience" and let them be aware of it- the reality couldn't be further from the truth and such an asinine premise undermines nuance. The primary issue with what Apple did is that it was kept secret and the consumer was given no option; if this was really in the best interest of the customer, Apple would have made it known long ago.. end of story, full stop.

11. smock Suspended

They gave me a s7 at 60 percent off. Because I pre ordered a note 7. It was a great consolation. It was samsungs way to say sorry.

12. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

Not a defense of apple, but if you buy apple expecting apple to give you a choice, you dont understand apple.

13. bmark macrumors regular

14. Zombolo macrumors member

Let’s hope it!

15. smock Suspended

Apple used to buy all their batteries from Samsung their devises were working good then. they should try doing it again.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2018 ---
    Luckily they still use Samsung's high quality screens and memory.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 5, 2018 ---
    The cheap Chinese batteries they are using now just don't cut it. You can buy them online for about $2 apiece.

16. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

first of all, chinese people make everything, and as a chinese person, this is pretty insulting in 2018.

second of all, samsung just had an exploding battery fiasco like a year ago.

third of all, nothing about the reporting surrounding this issue has anything to do with the quality of the batteries so refer to point one.

17. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Does anyone know if Apple will change out the battery on my 6s if I'm still on iOS 9.3.5? Do they even check what iOS your phone is currently on or does it even matter??

18. bmark macrumors regular

Apple will want you to update to the latest ios version. I had my genius bar appointment today and of course they are out of batteries. They will call me in 3 plus weeks when they get the batteries back in stock to setup another appointment to have the battery replaced. Apple store has now turned into a service center.

19. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Ok thanks...I wonder if I can buy a battery kit and change it myself?

20. bmark macrumors regular

You could do that or go to any iphone repair places that replace batteries. Cost would be higher than $29 though.

21. Defthand, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

Defthand macrumors 6502a

UPDATE...

I installed the iFixit replacement battery yesterday. It made a measurable improvement in my phone's CPU Geekbench scores. (See before and after scores below) In addition to that, I hope that the new battery won't mysteriously discharge in rapid fashion like its predecessor. Recently, the old battery went from fully charged (100%) to 64% in less than an hour, to 24% minutes later. This is despite the fact that the battery had less than 250 charge cycles and a capacity of 84% of its designed capacity. In other words, my old battery would pass Apple's diagnostic test.

Having replaced the battery myself, I do not recommend most people attempt it. The procedure is simple. You remove a half dozen screws and break the adhesives attaching the display and battery. However, you must be patient and prepared to solve some of the potential issues that can arise. For example, the adhesives didn't give; I had to use a hairdryer to soften them. Furthermore, you need good eyesight and a steady hand; the screws are as small as gnats (no exaggeration). What was described as a 20 minute task took me 2+ hours!

P.S. The old battery's Geekbench test was performed when the battery was fully charged (the screen shot is from the app's history; it was made later, hence the battery percentage discrepancy in the margins). The replacement battery's test was performed while it had only a 50% charge (they arrive only partially charged).

fullsizeoutput_96e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_970.jpeg

22. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I know what you mean, before I got my 6s I had a iPhone 5 and after 2 yrs I bought the kit and changed it myself. It was pretty easy to do the iPhone 5 but you should have seen my table it was like I was going to perform surgery. It only took about 45 mins and yes those screws are microscopic. The hardest part on the 5 was getting the glass to unseal from the frame, thought I would break the glass with the included suction cup.

I won't attempt the 6s Taptic bar and too much other stuff added that could go wrong.

23. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

iFixit battery warranty is 1 year whereas Apple battery replacement warranty is only 3 months. iFixit wins with better warranty which implies better quality product and more integrity.

24. abetancort macrumors newbie

abetancort

If you want to bench it, go an sit for a week or two in any Apple Store and count the number of customers bringing in to the Genius Bar their laptops vs desktop then apply a correction to your sample for the higher population of laptops than desktops see if the hypothesis holds up for reasonable Beta and Alpha, and make your own mind.

Not everyone should get a desktop, but for most people is the right choice. Very few people, those that are always on the move need a laptop. It’s cheaper and more efficient to have two devices a desktop to do most of the work and a iPad for light mobile work. What most people don’t realize is that when they compare a desktop to a laptop, they start by increasing the specs of the desktop vs the laptop and they end comparing the price of apples to oranges.

The iMac design as any other desktop including the Mac Pro (I own one) is always a compromise but in most cases it’s a more than reasonable compromise –leaving a lot of headroom– between board, components size, active and passive thermal design to account with enough tolerance in component variations, manufacturing errors and usage in suboptimal conditions that most will not present an stress problem for more than the expected useful life of the product.

But in the case of a portable design starts with the specific goal of maximizing out three mostly incompatible factors: performance, battery autonomy and lightness and everything that can contribute to this goal is secondary. To achieve the goal set most parts are stressed to almost their limits with little headroom to account for manufacturing mistakes by component makers, Apple itself or its usage in suboptimal conditions. This reality makes laptops to generally have a shorter lifespan and MTBF than an equivalent spec desktop.

25. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Is there a timetable on this? (i.e. is this offer available indefinitely at this price?)