Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Doesn't it let you download the older version if you are on an older macOS?

Nope! And only GarageBand is compatible with Yosemite. The only one of the five that I can install (Yosemite) is GarageBand.

It's nice to see these updates from Apple. But I'll only be able to take advantage of them when Apple also updates Aperture. I will NOT install either El Capitan or Sierra on my iMac until such time as there is a fix for the "glitches" in Aperture under those two versions of the OS. Aperture is THE reason I purchased a powerful iMac. It is THE reason I spent more than $3K on a new Mac 3 years ago.

Apple is worth BILLIONS of dollars and they can't spare one software engineer to make Aperture fully compatible with Sierra. So, no more Mac computers for me. At least, not until Aperture gets updated. Newer Macs can't run Yosemite.

Mark

Reactions: dysamoria

Suspended
Dec 30, 2015
Orlando, FL
A very strong move against Microsoft Office. I must admit, back when I was still using macOS these programs were a very productive and efficient addition to my workflow.

I remember the days when I was still a student and could get the Office for Mac Student Edition pricing (course, I think anyone could have bought it as it never required any proof of anything and I don't think it stripped much down, if anything?). Office was an expensive program for a long long time! When I made the switch to Mac I soon tried out iWork because of the great reputation of Keynote. After I tried Keynote I basically went all in. Wasn't crazy about the major changes to Pages from the way it was in iWork 09 but it's gotten better over time. Keynote is still awesome and Numbers does what I need it to do. All free now, I haven't used Office in probably close to 8 years and haven't missed it. Can easily export across all necessary file formats so what else do you need?

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Very nice of them but they still need to match MSO.

No it doesn't. There's room in the world for both.

If you want the bells and whistles of MSO, Microsoft will gladly take your subscription money.

That said, I'd be happy if the restored some of the still-missing features from iWork 09. I really miss the page layout features.
[doublepost=1492556738][/doublepost]
They can't even give this crap away. They need to kill it and give up. We do not have a single Mac without microsoft Office.

Evey single client send us microsoft office files - why would we even deal with anything else.

Most of the mac users I personally know and support, use and prefer iWork - much to the chagrin of PC users around them!

Tell you what, if Apple follows your selfish suggestion and kills it, can I bill you and your company for the licence cost of Office for the people I support?
[doublepost=1492556910][/doublepost]

the iWork apps are self contained bundles. The MSO installer copies libraries and dependencies all over the drive.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Nope! And only GarageBand is compatible with Yosemite. The only one of the five that I can install (Yosemite) is GarageBand.

It's nice to see these updates from Apple. But I'll only be able to take advantage of them when Apple also updates Aperture. I will NOT install either El Capitan or Sierra on my iMac until such time as there is a fix for the "glitches" in Aperture under those two versions of the OS. Aperture is THE reason I purchased a powerful iMac. It is THE reason I spent more than $3K on a new Mac 3 years ago.

Apple is worth BILLIONS of dollars and they can't spare one software engineer to make Aperture fully compatible with Sierra. So, no more Mac computers for me. At least, not until Aperture gets updated. Newer Macs can't run Yosemite.

Mark

You do realize that Aperture is dead, right? It might be better to start thinking about moving to something that has a future than delaying upgrading you OS to keep it safe and secure waiting for an update that may never come. Just saying... I would suggest giving Lightroom a look.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Keynote is a fantastic program. Pages is very good and getting better. Numbers is sufficient for non-pros.

I've been fans of these since '05, was pretty distraught at their feature losses for iOS feature parity, and I'm glad to see the features coming back bit by bit.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They made them free to any new owner since 2013... surely everyone has met that criteria by now right? Who will this appeal to?

Genuinely curious, not bashing!

(Edit:Thanks for all the answers and I got another answer from the update in the post).

iLife ... finally becomes FREEE again - ahem except GarageBand!

Funny I was just about to download and purchase Numbers JUST last night and saw the whopping $24CAN and said "LMAO WHY THE FRAK would I?" when it's free on my iPhone?! I simply uploaded my spreadsheets and chose to wait.

Boom ... the adage Good things come to those who wait.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Keynote is 1000% better than PowerPoint -- so much better that at my last job I was able to justify the purchase of several Macs just to support Keynote decks that everyone loved.

Animations are infinitely smoother, and everything just looks much cleaner. I tried (and failed) to ever wrangle PPT into anything vaguely approaching the polish of Keynote.
Absolutely. Going back to PowerPoint is like going back to 1995.

Reactions: ignatius345

cer26

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
They made them free to any new owner since 2013... surely everyone has met that criteria by now right? Who will this appeal to?

Genuinely curious, not bashing!

(Edit:Thanks for all the answers and I got another answer from the update in the post).

I bought a 2012 refurb Mac mini, have not been able to get these for free, now I can.

dustininsf

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
The iWork suite was labotimozed and is no longer a challenge to MS Office. Making this software free doesn't much inspire faith in Apple spending money improving them.

Yeah, the first redesigned version was sad, but they've brought them back up to par. Have you tried the most recent versions? Everything that was missing is now back, and then some.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Making them free is a kick in Google's nuts, not Microsoft's. I'd much rather my kids use an iPad with local apps in school than a frigging Chromebook tied to Google's services.

I bet this move has more to do with education than the enterprise.

castlema

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2003
Any idea why the updates don't work via the App store.. running El Capitan 2010 MBP... I've been trying for weeks. Just seems to hang/spin waiting, still the same even now they are free.
I'm not sure why the App Store would hang like that but I have try to unload these programs and you must be running 10.12 to download them.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I've had a glitch that hasn't let me update GarageBand for three years. Every day it tries to. Now, I can freely uninstall and reinstall it. Before, if I uninstalled it, I'd have to pay to reinstall (like I said... glitch).

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Keynote is 1000% better than PowerPoint...

Animations are infinitely smoother, and everything just looks much cleaner. I tried (and failed) to ever wrangle PPT into anything vaguely approaching the polish of Keynote.

I've spent hundreds of hours building complex decks, and PPT can't hold a candle to it.

Mate, I agree with you... almost. It's better than PPT in every way except ONE MASSIVE FEATURE.

PPT allows destructive clickable objects/links. KN doesn't allow Jeopardy style presentations where you choose a tile/question/link (or whatever) and go to another screen, come back and said tile/question/link is still turned over, gone etc.

KN has to be done in a specific order or you have to return to a non-destructible screen.
IF there is a work around for this, I'd love to know.

But yeah, KN is great. I'd love better controls on audio though in terms of syncing it to animations.

NtDs90

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2015
Still have a 07 mini. Still kicking. Looking to upgrade later this year or early next year. Good call by Apple. Like working on pages over word. Just my personal preference.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
About time. Apple was selling them for so cheap, I doubt the money was at all meaningful.

nbasham

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2017
Santa Monica
I'd guess -- anyone that purchases an iOS device or Mac second hand. (who would have to pay $9.99 per app otherwise.)
My wife recently had her logic board replaced and these apps stopped working because they no longer recognized the machine as one that had been purchased. Interestingly enough, this seemingly generous move by Apple may solve a lot of headaches for them.

Wildhope

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2017
NY
I guess in the minority but I very much like Microsoft office 2016 on Mac. It runs fine for me.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Garageband is an incredible value for any musician or anyone who wants to get their feet wet with music/recording. The quality of the recordings is the same as Logic..."pro" quality. And you can use Garageband's own plug-ins, or 3rd party plug-ins like Melodyne and all the Universal Audio plugs. It is deceptively simple but very powerful. And the best part for me, is Drummer. Now I can play an acoustic guitar part and add a drum track which will be customized by GarageBand to go with my guitar part (or whatever tracks you have)...and offer up an AI drum beat automatically. I always hated having to dig through thousands of drum loops to try and find something. Discouraged me from doing songs it was so soul-sucking. But now ... poof!!!...a compatible drum part is created. Then you can throw it out, modify it (try different drummers/mix with drum loops from library, and try different kits/sounds), or keep it as is and fine tune (e.g. add fills by putting splits in the track where you want the fill). Best free program on the planet!!!:cool:

Oh yea, and if you step up to Logic you can import your GB project into Logic for more control/polishing/mastering.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.