Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Well anyone with an older Mac, or anyone who bought an used one.

I am using a 2008 MacBook Pro, and Sierra will not run on this machine. I just tried to download the Pages and Numbers and the result was that I need OS 10.12 or later. So no go for me :(

Reactions: nj838

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm with you on this one, mate. Pages 09 was awesome as a cheap layout tool. I used to typeset novels with it for a fraction of the cost of InDesign.

Since Apple seems so committed to a dumbed-down Pages for iOS cross-compatibility, wouldn't it be so nice for Apple to go back and chop out the "page layout" chunk of Pages '09, maybe put a new coat of paint on the UI after 8 years of ignoring it, and rebranding it Apple Publisher for Mac or Apple Simple Publisher or similar?

Then Pages can stick with being a MacOS & iOS simple word processor while this Publisher can be a more powerful "Pro" alternative exclusive for the Mac platform. Personally, I'd pay a pretty high price- even annually- for THAT application if I could know that it was going to be maintained for at least several future iterations of MacOS. And I could return to pointing clients toward getting a Mac platform mostly for the benefit of such an easy-to-use but very capable (simple) Page Layout program.

The new Pages just can't compete with Pages '09 in many crucial ways... and since it seems locked to feature parity with iOS, I doubt it will ever resurrect crucial features that make the DTP side of Pages '09 so terrific. Pages '09 still works pretty well with the current MacOS version but we all know it's only a matter of time until some key feature breaks and then that's it for Pages '09 if you want to evolve the OS.

Reactions: IJ Reilly

nj838

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2017
PSA: You can't get these for free if you're using a legacy Mac like me with El Capitan. You can't even buy them outright anymore, the free versions on Sierra is your only option. El Captain users out of luck. :-(
[doublepost=1492561816][/doublepost]
I am using a 2008 MacBook Pro, and Sierra will not run on this machine. I just tried to download the Pages and Numbers and the result was that I need OS 10.12 or later. So no go for me :(
Same happened to me. I'm on El Capitan and have always wanted this software but never wanted to foot the bill. Really disappointed of Apple in taunting us with a "Get" button and not even letting us download an older version for free. :-(

marty11

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I have just recently been able to use these bc of a new mac purchase, and I have to say I am very impressed with the suite.

I do sense that Apple is worried about the overall value proposition of the macs and this is part of improving that. Hope the perks continue.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Since Apple seems so committed to a dumbed-down Pages for iOS cross-compatibility, wouldn't it be so nice for Apple to go back and chop out the "page layout" chunk of Pages '09, maybe put a new coat of paint on the UI after 8 years of ignoring it, and rebranding it Apple Publisher for Mac or Apple Simple Publisher or similar?

Then Pages can stick with being a MacOS & iOS simple word processor while this Publisher can be a more powerful "Pro" alternative exclusive for the Mac platform. Personally, I'd pay a pretty high price- even annually- for THAT application if I could know that it was going to be maintained for at least several future iterations of MacOS. And I could return to pointing clients toward getting a Mac platform mostly for the benefit of such an easy-to-use but very capable (simple) Page Layout program.

The new Pages just can't compete with Pages '09 in many crucial ways... and since it seems locked to feature parity with iOS, I doubt it will ever resurrect crucial features that make the DTP side of Pages '09 so terrific. Pages '09 still works pretty well with the current MacOS version but we all know it's only a matter of time until some key feature breaks and then that's it for Pages '09 if you want to evolve the OS.

That's a idea. Rebase Pages 09 and spin it off into a light-weight desktop publishing app for print production.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
How they chose this functionality above pivots I really don't understand. stock exchange is used by a niche or hobbyists looking up their stocks.

I think it's phil schiller who requested that I guess, just for his own use.

Pivots is used by practically everyone.

Patents, maybe? I agree the missing functionality is bewildering, so maybe there is a good reason.

Reactions: mr.bee

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
The biggest trouble I have with these apps are as others have stated, is that Apple only makes them compatible with the very latest OS. Their files also sometimes are not compatible with earlier versions, i.e. docs won't open for other users or on other computers, making sharing files unreliable, and running machines with different OS's throws it all into question when running these apps.

Microsoft is so much better in this regard. There is always a version of their software that works with your OS, and files are nearly universal among versions.

Reactions: dysamoria

desimaniac

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Reactions: macsba and DCIFRTHS

Cesar16ts

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2015

Apple today updated several of its Mac and iOS apps, making them available for all Mac and iOS users for free.

iMovie, Numbers, Keynote, Pages, and GarageBand for both Mac and iOS devices have been updated and are now listed in the App Store for free.

iworkiosapp.jpg

Previously, all of these apps were provided for free to customers who purchased a new Mac or iOS device, but now that purchase is not required to get the software. Many Apple customers were already likely eligible to download the software at no cost if they had made a device purchase in the last few years.

Apple's iWork page has not yet been updated and continues to say that customers will only be able to download Pages, Keynote, and Numbers after purchasing an eligible Mac or iOS device, but new wording may be added shortly following the price drop. Apple's apps have also been removed from the Top Free app charts in the App Store.

Apple has been offering these apps for free to new Mac and iOS device owners since 2013, but dropping the price to free for all users makes it less confusing and opens up downloads for those who have not recently made a new device purchase.

- Pages for macOS [Direct Link]
- Keynote for macOS [Direct Link]
- Numbers for macOS [Direct Link]
- GarageBand for macOS - [Direct Link]
- iMovie for macOS - [Direct Link]

- Pages for iOS - [Direct Link]
- Keynote for iOS - [Direct Link]
- Numbers for iOS - [Direct Link]
- GarageBand for iOS - [Direct Link]
- iMovie for iOS - [Direct Link]

Update: According to a support document, today's app changes will make it easier for business and educational institutions to download Pages, Numbers, Keynote, GarageBand, and iMovie through the Volume Purchase Program store.

Article Link: Apple Makes iMovie, GarageBand, and iWork Apps for Mac and iOS Free for All Users
macOS 10.12 or later!

Reactions: dysamoria

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
There are still 2011 and earlier Macs running Sierra, it's possible anyone owning one of those machines has not made a purchase since 2013

My MacBook air fits this. Bought in 2011.

interesting: I just switched over to Sierra on my hackintosh, iMovie is free. So is garage band, and the other's. I sure haven't bought a mac since 2011, and I doubt my iPad Air purchase 3 years ago countedv towards the Mac OSx copies. SO maybe just free for everyone

Last edited:

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Finally.

So much more simple this way.

Yup. They are only available for your own OS which runs (0.0001% Hackintoshs aside) on your machines only, when someone is using them he already is a customer, differentiating is complicating things without any advantage.
[doublepost=1492567847][/doublepost]
but but but Apple is a greedy company? I thought TC only had money on his mind...

But they weren't making any money.
How many people would buy those Apps?
If a 2013 or newer device has been associated with your Apple ID at some point, they were free anyway.

If you haven't already bought them at this point, your chances of ever purchasing them before purchasing a 2013 or newer device were extremely low. Not worth the hassle of managing access and differentiating between customers for no reason.

Last edited:

Russlush3

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
Seems like the final chapter of iWork's sad and pathetic death. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be using iWork'09 nearly a decade later. It had so much potential, but instead of making it more powerful for students and professionals, they turned the OSX version into an iOS-styled and -powered app and let it die of starvation and dehydration.

Thus far have been able to keep my iWork'09 apps working via the original installation file (from the days of CDs!) up to Mavericks, and migration assistant to my newer computers. Guess I will have to continue these work-arounds and give up any hope of a legitimate update :(

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
You do realize that Aperture is dead, right? It might be better to start thinking about moving to something that has a future than delaying upgrading you OS to keep it safe and secure waiting for an update that may never come. Just saying... I would suggest giving Lightroom a look.

Yep, I fully realize that Apple announced that Aperture wouldn't be updated anymore. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

As long as my iMac and 2015 MacBook Pro keep running, I don't care what Apple does. I have ZERO need for a new Mac. It's Apple's loss ($$$) not mine. I will stick with Yosemite and my current Macs for the next 20 years if I have to. Apple crapped on Pro users and I'm not about to forgive them.

And Lightroom SUCKS compared to Aperture.

Mark

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
iWork is not worth a cent. So, it should have been free since 2013
nah.. i'd pay a hundred bucks for it.. more even i suppose.
i mean, i payed for it in the past.. it's definitely worth it.. even more so now than before.

it just comes down to individual needs and use cases.. for me, it's worth spending cash on.. for you, not at all.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I thought they were already free!? I mean who would pay for iWorks over MSOffice!?
maybe a person whose main job or main use of computers isn't creating spreadsheets or pdfs or powerpoints etc...

someone who needs to use these types of applications once a week.. or twice a month.. instead of multiple hours per day.

that's me btw..
it's much better to go into a rarely used software that's unified with the OS because you spend a lot less time figuring out how to do simple things like you would in more foreign software..
that it's apple specific software, i already know a lot about using it simply because i'm used to the OS.. further, integration with iCloud, iPhone, Photos without me needing to do anything is much welcomed.

both a spreadsheet application and a document maker are of critical need.. when i actually need them.

so msOffice would be worse for someone in my position for a number or reasons.. which means i (personally) would place more value on iwork.. to the point where if excel were free and numbers weren't.. i'd probably still buy numbers.
(assuming we're talking in the cheaper ranges ..sub $100 i'd say)

---
(just stating one type of example.. i imagine there are others as well)

Last edited:

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
Got it, but why is Pages 430Mb when Word is only 56Mb??
Word is not 56mb on anything I own.

I have them all free already, imovie is the only thing I install on anything. Have 5 people in the family and the 7. And change a month is well worth it just for the terabyte storage each. Office apps are gravy on top. Two are in college, they require word and excel. I'm the only one with a mac, but don't care for iwork.

Last edited:

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah, the first redesigned version was sad, but they've brought them back up to par. Have you tried the most recent versions? Everything that was missing is now back, and then some.

Everything? I don't think that's correct. I don't have a list but I've been watching the updates ever since the lobotomy (back port) and I don't think even half the removed features were re-implemented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.