Apple Making Official Statement Tomorrow, Free Bumper Cases For All

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Farfooz, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Farfooz macrumors member

Farfooz

I was just on the line with an apple rep and he said apple will be making an official statement tomorrow as they are a big corporation and all and will not sit back and watch the whole issue with reception. He claims that apple will be giving out a free bumper for iPhone 4 users. He was going to ship me one but he said it doesn't make sense to ship it if they will likely give them out tomorrow or on Tuesday. Just thought I would let you guys know, and I am not lying about what he said to me as I would have nothing to gain by doing so. I was told this, I just hope it's in fact true.

Edit: I just thought I might add that they also said a software fix was indeed being worked on but this is also to better the reception.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that he said they received an email to all the employees that this must be done. Also, he said the engineers are working on getting the software fix out really soon. I want this to be true but deep down I feel like it's too good to be true. This was the supervisor I talked to by the way.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

ugh!!! and i've already purchased one....naturally.

3. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

If true i feel sorry for everyone that paid $30. Maybe they will offer all of you some type of compensation or another free bumper.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

How are they going to do this? I just got off the phone with my apple store and they said they didnt have any since launch day.

5. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

6. troop231 macrumors 603

At least Apple will be recycling a bunch of tires to make all of these "free" bumpers lol, Apple is indeed a Green company after all :p

7. ringemaster macrumors member

I doubt this will be the case, but even if it is, I'll take a free bumper even though I bought one yesterday. They'll get worn after some time and then I'll need another one. Can't hurt to have a spare case floating around :)

8. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

I guess to get the free bumper your going to have to return to the store you bought it from with a receipt or do some type of mail-in rebate style scheme? Its good news if thats whats going to be happening though,

9. fillilutten macrumors member

Great news! Especially for you guys with the antenna problem.
    I just have one concern - I'm from Sweden and ordered the iPhone 4 from the french apple store to a friend in france and will get it tomorrow. Will I also be able to get the free bumper? And if so, how? :)

10. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Free bumpers is not the solution. People should be able to use their phones without needing to use an accessory. If it is a hardware issue, Apple needs to replace the phones.

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

there hasn't even been any announcement yet and you're expecting us to answer this? :rolleyes:

12. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

It is really hard to believe that Apple is going to be giving away millions of bumpers that retail for $29 for free.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

But they probably cost .10 cents USD to make.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

They do not cost 29 to make so their actual loss is quite small

They need to rectify the situation and this is much cheaper than a recall....

15. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I am not sure this will happen either, but it will not be because of the cost of the bumpers. They probably cost Apple $3-$4 each so it would be a pretty cheap solution.

However, it would likely take them a good amount of time to make that many bumpers, so I don't think that is likely to happen. Guess we will see.

Those who are expecting some kind of hardware recall are also likely dreaming.

Stop holding your phone like that!
    :cool:

17. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I don't buy it (no pun intended ;) I guess I doubt that any level 1 phone tech in a company as rigid as Apple will be the one to spill the beans on what would be a major product liability/functionality announcement (not just that something is in the works, we all know that. The exact specifics is what I am saying). But that's just me. Who knows, maybe this tech was new to the job :)

18. troop231 macrumors 603

:confused:

19. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Yay, another thread by a person who got off the phone with some rep stating something that will happen tomorrow.

20. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

not hardware most likely

21. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

If you already purchased one do you think that they will refund you or give you a new one?

22. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

So they are essentially just patching over the problem? Seems a bit superficial to me. Surely they have something else in mind rather than putting a bandaid over the issue. A software fix would seem most likely, but if it is truly a design flaw, a firmware fix won't do much good.

23. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I want a free bumper! Don't have any reception issues though.

24. Farfooz thread starter macrumors member

Farfooz

Anyone who hasn't seen my updated post from before please read. Maybe it'll help more?

25. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

i think if you bought one you'll either take another or get nothing at all.

you could always return the one you have now though. i'm in the same position as you.