Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farfooz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I was just on the line with an apple rep and he said apple will be making an official statement tomorrow as they are a big corporation and all and will not sit back and watch the whole issue with reception. He claims that apple will be giving out a free bumper for iPhone 4 users. He was going to ship me one but he said it doesn't make sense to ship it if they will likely give them out tomorrow or on Tuesday. Just thought I would let you guys know, and I am not lying about what he said to me as I would have nothing to gain by doing so. I was told this, I just hope it's in fact true.

Edit: I just thought I might add that they also said a software fix was indeed being worked on but this is also to better the reception.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that he said they received an email to all the employees that this must be done. Also, he said the engineers are working on getting the software fix out really soon. I want this to be true but deep down I feel like it's too good to be true. This was the supervisor I talked to by the way.

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
If true i feel sorry for everyone that paid $30. Maybe they will offer all of you some type of compensation or another free bumper.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
How are they going to do this? I just got off the phone with my apple store and they said they didnt have any since launch day.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
At least Apple will be recycling a bunch of tires to make all of these "free" bumpers lol, Apple is indeed a Green company after all :p

ringemaster

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I doubt this will be the case, but even if it is, I'll take a free bumper even though I bought one yesterday. They'll get worn after some time and then I'll need another one. Can't hurt to have a spare case floating around :)

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I guess to get the free bumper your going to have to return to the store you bought it from with a receipt or do some type of mail-in rebate style scheme? Its good news if thats whats going to be happening though,

fillilutten

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Great news! Especially for you guys with the antenna problem.
I just have one concern - I'm from Sweden and ordered the iPhone 4 from the french apple store to a friend in france and will get it tomorrow. Will I also be able to get the free bumper? And if so, how? :)

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Free bumpers is not the solution. People should be able to use their phones without needing to use an accessory. If it is a hardware issue, Apple needs to replace the phones.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Great news! Especially for you guys with the antenna problem.
I just have one concern - I'm from Sweden and ordered the iPhone 4 from the french apple store to a friend in france and will get it tomorrow. Will I also be able to get the free bumper? And if so, how? :)

there hasn't even been any announcement yet and you're expecting us to answer this? :rolleyes:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am not sure this will happen either, but it will not be because of the cost of the bumpers. They probably cost Apple $3-$4 each so it would be a pretty cheap solution.

However, it would likely take them a good amount of time to make that many bumpers, so I don't think that is likely to happen. Guess we will see.

Those who are expecting some kind of hardware recall are also likely dreaming.

Stop holding your phone like that!
:cool:

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
I don't buy it (no pun intended ;) I guess I doubt that any level 1 phone tech in a company as rigid as Apple will be the one to spill the beans on what would be a major product liability/functionality announcement (not just that something is in the works, we all know that. The exact specifics is what I am saying). But that's just me. Who knows, maybe this tech was new to the job :)

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Yay, another thread by a person who got off the phone with some rep stating something that will happen tomorrow.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
So they are essentially just patching over the problem? Seems a bit superficial to me. Surely they have something else in mind rather than putting a bandaid over the issue. A software fix would seem most likely, but if it is truly a design flaw, a firmware fix won't do much good.

Farfooz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Anyone who hasn't seen my updated post from before please read. Maybe it'll help more?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If you already purchased one do you think that they will refund you or give you a new one?

i think if you bought one you'll either take another or get nothing at all.

you could always return the one you have now though. i'm in the same position as you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.