Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
I was definitely one of the people who participated in trashing Apple Maps when it was released, it was so so bad. On Vacation this year, I decided to give it a go since it sends the direction notifications directly to the watch. Not a single problem. I'm almost solely using it now, and all of the initial complaints I had in the OKC metro seem to be corrected.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Inferior duplication of work at its best. Brings nothing of value to the world.

Competition is good. Google search has sucked for at least 2 years, mainly because there are no competitors. Apple maps keeps Google honest.

I use Apple maps, but goog is there just in case. I haven't had to use it in like a year, but it's around.

Plus, Google, doesn't need to know where I go. Google already knows, but there's a difference between an inference and an actual data point.

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
Have both map apps on my phone. Much prefer Apple maps and haven't brought up google maps in more than a year (other than to see if there are changes). Zero problems with Apple's. It also does a better job of map rendering.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I use Apple Maps whenever possible. That is, whenever it can find what I'm searching for. Google Maps navigation has mislead me several times before, not because of wrong directions but because the navigator is confusing with its directions and tells me to make turns at weird times. As far as mapping data goes, I've actually seen Google Maps wrong 2 times and Apple wrong 0 times, but Apple's data on POIs horrendous, and the search feature sucks. Apple has also given me better traffic and ETA information when I've used it in Los Angeles.

Last edited:

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Apple Maps still suck. Despite reporting the error numerous times, it still thinks my driveway is a street. I can't count how many people have driven up here lost, thinking it's the mislabeled street.

terryzx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Cincinnati
The percentage of people who don't bother to download Google Maps, and stick to the stock apps, isn't necessarily the same as the percentage of those who have downloaded Google Maps, didn't like it, and chose to stick to Apple Maps in the end...

People are STUCK with using Apple Maps since it is the default, and to copy and paste in to Google is really hard to do while driving. Apple still takes me places that are nowhere near where I need to go, and I have to end up stopping and pasting the address into Google to get where I actually expect and need to get to.

ChipOatley

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
Durango, Colorado
I was just getting ready to bash Apple Maps because they have my street name wrong. After years of trying to correct it by sending dozens and dozens of notices to Apple and to Tom Tom, I had given up. I would let friends and delivery people know that they couldn't find me using Apple Maps. They were all informed that I could only be found on Google maps. One friend walked into a strangers' house using my address in Apple Maps. He walked back out before being noticed. I thought I'd dig up Apple Maps in a Useless Apps file on my iPhone just to look one more time before writing a scathing post. Lo and behold! The street name was correct! I feel like I exist now.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I use both off and on, but far prefer Google. Living in SoCal I constantly battle traffic while commuting and in my experience, Googles traffic is much more accurate and up to date than Apple's is. I also find a bit Google easier to read.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I was definitely one of the people who participated in trashing Apple Maps when it was released, it was so so bad. On Vacation this year, I decided to give it a go since it sends the direction notifications directly to the watch. Not a single problem. I'm almost solely using it now, and all of the initial complaints I had in the OKC metro seem to be corrected.
Yes! This thread inspired me to use it tonight when I got to the car rental center at LAX. It got me a fast route and the watch vibrations telling me when to turn were so good I may just disable to voice directions altogether. Pleasantly surprised is putting it mildly. By, Google. Track ya later.

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I was surprised at this head line so checked my companies crowd-sourced app usage data and it still shows Google Maps with a clear lead:

xoudo8coulqa3.png.pagespeed.ic.CaPPu75foo.png

So I believe the reason for the error in this article is a misinterpretation of the number of search requests. I would guess that there are 3x more search requests on Apple Maps because people are trying different searches to find what they want, whereas on Google Maps with the better search they find what they need on the first search. Just because Apple has more search requests does not mean it has more users.

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Yet the search function is still abysmal.

Exactly why there are 3x more search requests. The mistake Associate Press was is to interpret number of searches to number of users, it's not the same thing. In fact such a high number of searches with users trying to find what they are looking for shows just how bad the search is.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I was surprised at this head line so checked my companies crowd-sourced app usage data and it still shows Google Maps with a clear lead:

xoudo8coulqa3.png.pagespeed.ic.CaPPu75foo.png

So I believe the reason for the error in this article is a misinterpretation of the number of search requests. I would guess that there are 3x more search requests on Apple Maps because people are trying different searches to find what they want, whereas on Google Maps with the better search they find what they need on the first search. Just because Apple has more search requests does not mean it has more users.

"Don't trust their data, trust this data here. "

Reactions: BvizioN

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Not my experience in LA. I've been screwed by Google once, though. They didn't know a freeway exit was defunct, so I had to hop off, go under the freeway, take the entrance, the other way, exit, then circle around again and take the previous exit-- a mess. That's when I switched to Maps for good. It was default, and it's never led me wrong. I find the timing of Google's voice directions weird and off-putting. Also, me and Siri are good friends now.
Googles voice navigation sucks. Apple definitely has better navigation. But it still has some POIs wrong for me. There's a restaurant I can punch in called Versailles in LA and Apple Maps takes me to France. Like really?

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Honestly, I've been using Apple Maps instead for a while now but thought I was in the minority so I kept quiet about it.
The only thing I miss and still use from Google is Street View. It is immensely helpful to get a first person view of a location before you get there so you know what to expect or look for when you arrive.
Though it seems Apple is adding a similar feature soon so eventually I'll be able to completely ditch the material-design-on-iOS Google Maps app. :cool:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
A lot of potential reasons have been mentioned, but one big one is that I've noticed Apple maps automatically giving me an estimate on how long it should take me to drive home from work. It also seems to know in which days I head to group with my son and gives me estimate on that. This all happens moments after pulling out of the driveway. If that astinate is a bad one I can swipe and choose a better route.

Siri also has much better integration. I can slap the phone on my dash and say "Hey it's Sofiya Siri navigate me to target in revere" and she will do the rest for me.

In many ways I think this hurts Google
Maps as well as other apps. Apple doesn't give us the option to set what we want to use as our default app. And that's a shame. I'm fairly happy with most of my default apps but I would certainly set Google to default if I could. I'll admit that I do use Apple maps at times when I can't be bothered to handle the phone at all. Maybe one day...

I'll also add that Apple maps has twice (within the last four months) taken me to a business that was closed or relocated. Not sure what the deal is with that. Navigating with google maps solved the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.