Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Google Maps vs. Apple Maps

• Google Maps

Votes: 164 53.9%
  • Apple Maps

Votes: 140 46.1%

• Total voters

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Will not use Apple Maps until they add the ability to scroll the map while navigating ie Google Maps, without hitting overview, waiting for a slow "zoom out" animation that takes the map to far out then having to hit resume. Yet it allows some strange rotational movement when you touch the map while navigating.

Road block ahead? Street closed off? Want to scroll and see where it is taking you? Forget doing it easily with Apple Maps.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
Apple maps pisses me off, I was trying to get to autozone and instead of turning left, it made me drive 1 mile to do a u turn and turn right,

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Just to play devils advocate (not really) I couldn't stand Waze. Last time I used it it had a goofy avatar thing and you "leveled up" in a sense. I even remember driving over things collecting things like pacman!

Am I the only one that found that lame? Could you possibly make a gps app more dangerous? Screw driving! You're playing the GPS game now!

Maybe I'd use it if I was a 12 year old passenger. Lol

yeah, but use it in a big metro with bad traffic.. waze >> google maps > apple maps for turn by turn taking into account traffic and actively re-directing you because of that. it's definitely worth having and as others have mentioned in this thread, it is my go-to app for navigation when I know where I'm going but want to have the turn-by-turn get me around traffic issues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How can an app work for some people and not others? I've used Apple maps in many states and always get to the parking lot of whatever address I put in. Apple gets this data from other sources, they don't create it themselves and fudge areas just to make people get lost, do they? I'm confused as to how some people can't get the same results as the rest.
Possibly because people are in different locations and different locations might have different quality of venu/location data available for them (from those other sources that Apple gets their data from)?

----------

I prefer the way Apple Maps gives directions aloud.

As for accuracy, though, Google Maps is still better.
Doesn't Google Maps also have spoken directions?

----------

Will not use Apple Maps until they add the ability to scroll the map while navigating ie Google Maps, without hitting overview, waiting for a slow "zoom out" animation that takes the map to far out then having to hit resume. Yet it allows some strange rotational movement when you touch the map while navigating.

Road block ahead? Street closed off? Want to scroll and see where it is taking you? Forget doing it easily with Apple Maps.
That's definitely one of those fairly basic things that isn't supported by Apple Maps for some reason.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Apple maps pisses me off, I was trying to get to autozone and instead of turning left, it made me drive 1 mile to do a u turn and turn right,

Apple gets road updates from outside sources. Apple doesn't do this. Updates happen on Apple maps with regards to roads the same way they happen with traditional window mounted GPS units. They have to be downloaded. I've seen cases where Google maps hadn't updated new roads but the update was in Apple maps.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Has Apple maps caught up with google maps yet?
No.

What are your experiences? Searching, points of interest, route accuracy?

Apple Maps sucks. Not only does it have less POI data than Google Maps, Apple Maps requires exact addresses/names to famous landmarks much more often than Google Maps.

I can give you an example. Search for "St Pauls outside the walls" using Apple Maps. Now try "Basilica Papale San Paolo fuori le Mura". Then try "Basilica San Paolo fuori le Mura".

Try the same using Google Maps. I can give other examples where I can search for a store, say UPS, near 2 cross streets. Apple Maps is terrible in these use cases.

And don't get me started on Helicopter view or the lack of integrated bus routes.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Well...

Google Maps may be more accurate than Apple Maps, but I can't really stop using Apple Maps on my devices since it is simply more integrated into the iOS. If we are discussing usage on Mac OS X, then I use a mix of both (simply due to the way Contacts and Calendars have some integration with Apple Maps and how sometimes I just need to get accurate directions before leaving for some place). :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple Maps vs. Google Maps

Google Maps may be more accurate than Apple Maps, but I can't really stop using Apple Maps on my devices since it is simply more integrated into the iOS. If we are discussing usage on Mac OS X, then I use a mix of both (simply due to the way Contacts and Calendars have some integration with Apple Maps and how sometimes I just need to get accurate directions before leaving for some place). :)

This is my feelings on it. I find Apple maps user experience to be top notch albeit lacking in some features.

I like when I'm on the phone (Bluetooth) and navigating how a right turn ahead it makes a subtle but noticeable tone to turn. Then makes the opposite sound (like bing bong vs bong bing lol) to turn left. Nice touch IMO.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I can't use Apple Maps because for about 60 seconds after launching the app, it refuses to find anything or look anything up. Then after about a minute it works fine until the OS kills the Maps app again. Happens ever since 7.0 on both my iPad and iPhone. :(

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
yeah, but use it in a big metro with bad traffic.. waze >> google maps > apple maps for turn by turn taking into account traffic and actively re-directing you because of that. it's definitely worth having and as others have mentioned in this thread, it is my go-to app for navigation when I know where I'm going but want to have the turn-by-turn get me around traffic issues.

As I said, I think Apple Maps is way better than Google Maps in terms of traffic information (at least in my country), but I am not sure if it deals better with that information.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
As I said, I think Apple Maps is way better than Google Maps in terms of traffic information (at least in my country), but I am not sure if it deals better with that information.

We'll google maps is not integrated with waze so you get live traffic updates by folks driving.

DrManhattan

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
I use Waze about 90% of the time to work and home, but if I need to search any destination it sucks. I use Apple maps for this, and it works fine. I don't even use google maps anymore. I feel like Google maps has gotten worse, and Apple maps has gotten a lot better.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Seems as people vigorously defend Apple maps when compared to Google.

Apple is the one that said they need improving and there are alternatives to use.

Apple is the one that finally allowed Google to make their own app vs a Apple made app using Googles data (albeit paid for by Apple).

Hell, Apple still uses Google maps on Apple.com for their store locator. Lol

If Apple maps works for you, great! But don't be surprised if it's not for everyone.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I live and work in the suburbs north or Atlanta GA (US).

Mostly I use Apple maps, especially since I can get quick directions using Siri. It's definitely gotten better since ios 6. Yelp data for restaurants and shops is pretty nice, didn't think I would like it.

I still use google maps if I'm trying to get and understanding of somewhere I haven't been. I just trust it more to give me accurate streets and routes and street view is a must.

Eventually I will use Apple maps almost exclusively but still use google maps for street view.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Used to be Google maps but not anymore. Apple maps has caught and passed them imo. Google maps doesn't even have the street I live on spelled correctly. I have written them 3 times and they will not change it.

The Maps app in Mavericks helped me decide too. For a while I had both maps on my 5S and now in the last few months I haven't even opened Google maps.

Might as well go ahead and can it.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Living in PA, Apple Maps works just fine. Haven't had any issues with directions, and it integrates better with the OS so that's a plus.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've been using google maps since the Iphone 3 and I have no reason to switch over to Apple's version.
Iphone 3? The Google Maps available in iOS 7 (and 6) are different than what has been available in iOS 5 and before.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
what he means is he prefers google's UI to apple's.
I guess...but then again, the Google maps that were available prior to iOS 6 were actually Apple UI as it was an app designed by Apple. I guess its just that Apple went with a different UI for their own maps app.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Is this even a question? Apple Maps are the worst maps I have ever used... even to the point to where my girlfriend (the fangirl if you will) won't even take her iPhone out for directions.

Always using my SIII for directions.

There's a google maps app for iOS

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Apple maps gives directions well but it's POI are crap in the DMV. My dentists office shows up with the correct address but the pin is on the other side of town. Been that way for almost a year. And I've sent in problem reports several times. Just one example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.