Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
So flexgage is what it is called, huh? I had it with my 2008 MBP. I guess some things never change.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
So they knew it was an issue, but no repair program yet. Hopefully they do the right thing. This is also where lack of repairability cuts everyone, a 6 dollar display cable becomes a 700 dollar top case repair instead.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
It's pretty clear that you are mocking the USA. Just wondering where you sense of superiority comes from. Have a good day.

Well we can take this offline, you have my permission to DM me..LOL.

I wonder if any other American feel I have mocked the USA when I mentioned the legal use of asbestos in the USA ?

frosty18

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania, United States
One of my favorite things to do when I read this forum is remember all the millions of happy customers with working-ass 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros. Perspective.
My 2017 Pro w/o tb has yet to have a single keyboard issue.
[doublepost=1551885702][/doublepost]
I've had my 2016 15" Pro for nearly two years and while it's a very nice laptop it's had some pretty obvious quality defects from the get-go and quite frankly shouldn't exist on a $2k+ machine. Used to when I paid extra for Apple I was paying for the software/hardware integration and the quality of the product. Well here I am 15 years later and software/hardware integration has become less stable and ever more bloated and quality has taken a nosedive (though I do remember the many issues with iBook G3 logic boards and PowerBook G4 RAM slot failures, etc.)

Overall I'm very on the fence about buying another Apple laptop. I've seen the sales Best Buy has had recently on the 2018 15" and while it's tempting I still think with $300 off they are too expensive. I also HATE my iPhone XS and it's easily the worst iPhone I've ever had so there's that too.
why do you "hate" you're XS. I love mine

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
My 2017 Pro w/o tb has yet to have a single keyboard issue.

I only know one person that owns a 2017 MBP, and he has tow bad keys. One repeats, and I forgot what’s wrong with the other one. Also has a failing wireless card, but that’s unrelated unless there’s a thread on that too...

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
I wonder if any other American feel I have mocked the USA when I mentioned the legal use of asbestos in the USA ?

Nah, he is just a blind patriot that ignores all the cr*p that our own government do, just because is the patriotic thing to do and will go out on a rampage if anyone dares mentioning one of those things.

Don't waste your time.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
More fodder for Louis Rossman. As Louis illustrates in this video, Apple has a pattern of denying that flaws are possibly engineering-related. From antenna gate to flex gate, Apple shifts the blame to customers, insisting users are using the product improperly. Apple then modifies their design, still insisting that the original design was perfect, but that they are generously accommodating abnormal customer habits.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
More fodder for Louis Rossman. As Louis illustrates in this video, Apple has a pattern of denying that flaws are possibly engineering-related. From antenna gate to flex gate, Apple shifts the blame to customers, insisting users are using the product improperly. Apple then modifies their design, still insisting that the original design was perfect, but that they are generously accommodating abnormal customer habits.

The best part is that the rabid fanbois show the same pattern of denying that apple does things like this and that the magical cupertino products are indeed perfect.

Its really sad.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
The $500 Dells and HP's have problems like this, but when you pay over $1,500 for a laptop you expect premium quality. Apple used to deliver in quality and justified their higher price.

The Dells and the HP's you mention don't even have those problems structurely. Even better: if a ribbon cable on those machines gives way, the cable can be replaced easily for a couple of dollars. You probably can do it yourself. On the Apple laptop the whole screen has to be replaced for around $600. Imagine you are out of warranty ....

Last edited:

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
The Dells and the HP's you mention don't even have those problems structurely. Even better: if a ribbon cable on those machines gives way, the cable can be replaced easily for a couple of dollars. You probably can do it yourself. On the Apple laptop the whole screen has to be replaced for around $600. Imagine you are out of warranty in that case ....

Better yet, those Dell's and HP parts can be bought and replaced relatively cheap, unlike apple.

I have a 2012 (i think) MBP 15 that has a bad motherboard and a genius said that it cost US$600, plus 350 labor....

Yeah, no thanks.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I just wish they’d stop with cheap parts and glued assembly (amongst many other things).

If they fixed it, great.

But you’d think after so much negative press and class action law suits, Cook would start to reverse these bad decisions. Think about how much more $ they’d make if they actually gave a hoot about the Macs and the iPad Pros.

giebe

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Germany
Well my 2016 MacBook Pro display has also a cable problem, as the backlight stops working as soon as you open the laptop in certain angles. Had appointment at the apple store and they said it's not a flexgate problem, even though it's definitely something wrong with the cable. If it's not open too far or opened very slowly, the display works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.