Apple May Lose Many Govt/University Sales

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoTo77, Feb 13, 2010.

1. MoTo77 macrumors member

Apple's current pro laptop line is mediocre AT BEST. Apple is using four year old technology in the flagship 17" machine. At the moment, Dell and others use i5/i7 chips in the mid-upper end models. Only the low to low middle models still use Core2Duo processors.

Apple's decision to spend its time developing an ipod touch XL rather than updating its pro laptop line may cost it sales to universities and other government agencies. Many state legislatures are beginning to work on fiscal 2010-11 budgets. If some cuts that are predicted come to pass, one of the first things to be frozen will be technology budgets.

I, for one, am currently approved to buy a 17" Macbook Pro, however I have an original 2.16 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro and refuse to spend the state's money on an overpriced 2.8 Ghz version of a 4-year-old processor. I'm not the only one. I am advising everyone--across four campuses--that currently has a C2D processor to wait. At least 95% are waiting. Apple's current offerings give us no compelling reason to update these machines. If technology budgets get frozen before Apple comes to its senses, these sales will be lost.

FYI: I am at one of the 10 largest universities in the country. We are not a small buyer.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Maybe you should start an online petition :D

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a 4 year old processor technology maybe, but not a 4 year old CPU.

And maybe Apple is not that interested in those sales or have something else up their sleeves. For Apple it's not about market share, and as you might have read, Apple had its best quarter yet from 10/2009 to 12/2009.

4. `Kris macrumors newbie

Agreed, there almost 100% guaranteed not to fail!

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then don't spend the State's money on an Apple ... buy a Windows box. I'm sure Apple won't mind.

6. MoTo77 thread starter macrumors member

As noted in the second sentence.

They should be. Current and future opinion leaders are not coming from beauty academies and manufacturing assembly lines.

Not based on their computers.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You don't speak for enterprise, corporate America or Universities. Apple will produce. They'll produce at whatever pace ensures they deliver beyond your D(H)ell offerings. Furthermore, they have many more resources beyond the iPad team.

In case you haven't been paying attention there is instability in the Nvidia/Intel relationship and to be frank, the previous discreet/integrated/logout situation isn't viable any longer; it's a shoddy fix.

8. ammusk macrumors regular

Apple is mighty interested in university sales. There a few slides on it from the 2008 unibody keynote.

I'm sure Apple is delaying the intro of the new iCore MBPs because of some technology which *hopefully* is in the final stages of implementation.

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Oh my God this thread is pathetic, please mods close it now!!!

You may as well say 'business won't use Macs cause they are not powerful enough' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Just like your post. If the mods are going to close a thread, they'll do so without your whining. The OP makes a valid point.

11. muxbox macrumors member

You will most likely wait

From what i can read you are waiting for apple to upgrade to core i5/i7 processors because most if not all other laptops on the market just don't cut it against apple.

I'm sure those processors will find themselves filtering in to the laptops especially now that they are in the iMacs.

Remember Apple have to contend with many more product lines now and hence you may get a delay in waiting for a particular update.

Also don't forget that headline grabbing processors specs and Ram are meaningless in systems with bottle necks such as poor main board design or slow hard drives.

All this of course is only an opinion.

12. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I think a current model 17 inch MacBook Pro would serve you very well for years to come, regardless of the processor.

My G3 iBook still works remarkably well, even though it is not my every day machine anymore.

If you are so concerned about the State's money, why not propose a different computer?

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Sorry, but mobile i5/i7 chips were introduced in January of this year, just a few weeks ago (no, the mobile i7 introduced in September last year is not a viable laptop chip, way too power hungry for Apple to use).

The next refresh is sure to bring these processors to the MBP line-up. Apple is due for a refresh. Patience is a virtue.

And for school work/office work, even the 4 year old technology is plenty. Computers have been way too powerful for the last 6 years or so.

14. enberg macrumors regular

Because the average government spreadsheet jockey needs that i7. C2D just won't do.

People who think graphics cards and CPUs are even near the top of important factors when business and government IT departments makes buying decisions have never worked anywhere near such a place.

15. MoTo77 thread starter macrumors member

None of which means that Apple's CURRENT options are a compelling upgrade over the options it gave us four years ago. No one is talking about switching. But we're not buying now and may not be able to buy later.

Care to talk to the state legislature? I'm sure that will sway them. :rolleyes:

16. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Relax... Apple is just being retro!

It's hip, man... it's hip.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Erm, no he doesn't have a point. Government and University's don't give a crap about the name on the case or the power inside, they care about cost and if it will do what they want PERIOD.

They are not going to sit there and think, hey, these Macs, I REFUSE to buy one cause a PC is more powerful.......
    If they need Mac OS they will by a MAC, you know to be legal with licenses and all so they don't get fined thousands.
    If they need a Windows PC they'll get one. AS far as I know the current Macbook Pro can comfortably run ALL software sold for Macs, please show me if you think otherwise........

Some people Jesus..... I REALLY cannot wait for the launch of the new range, hopefully half of these stupid threads will stop then..

18. MoTo77 thread starter macrumors member

People who think graphics cards and CPUs are not important in university buying decisions (where users--within budgetary constraints--often have the final say) probably have never even been to a university.

19. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

I hope more unis and organizations hold back their purchases...this will at least push Apple to release the new MBPs ASAP!!

20. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

What are you talking about ? Are the states now passing laws against Core 2 Duos ? :rolleyes: And why didn't you try to address any of my other claims ? Oh right, because then you would have looked foolish.

The plain truth is Arrandale is new to the market and Apple is going to refresh their line-up soonish. To get excited and all bent out of shape for something like that is ridiculous.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, then you get the "I am disappointed because of ______" threads

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. MoTo77 thread starter macrumors member

LOL. Wrong.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That kind of thinking is just deluded

Apple isn't going to have their timelines pushed by a university or an organization's buying decisions

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

:D:D:D:D:D:D hahahaha, oh how I forgot about those.........
    I shall predict it'll mainly be, Macs are crap as they have no blueray, USB 3....

25. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Since you quoted me...

Regardless of what you may think, of who may be right or wrong, there is no need for the posts that bombard almost every thread these days saying "MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!" That's what the "Report this post" button is for. If it's truly merited, the moderators will take action at their own discretion. The aforementioned type of post is annoying, immature, and pointless. That's the main thing I was getting at.