Apple May Offer Two 6.1-Inch iPhone Models in 2018 With Price Tag as Low as $550

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's upcoming lower-cost 6.1-inch iPhone could be available in two models, one that includes a single SIM and a second that offers dual-SIM dual standby (DSDS) functionality, aka two physical SIM card slots, according to an investor's note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo believes that the 6.1-inch dual-SIM iPhone could be priced at $650 to $750, while a single SIM model could potentially be less expensive at $550 to $650. Prospective prices for the two OLED iPhones Apple plans to introduce in 2018 were not mentioned in today's note, but those two devices are expected to be significantly more expensive.

[​IMG]
    Kuo has mentioned dual-SIM dual standby functionality in prior notes, where he said at least one of the three new iPhones expected in 2018 would offer the feature. In this note, Kuo clarifies that both the 6.1-inch and 6.5-inch devices will support DSDS, while the 5.8-inch iPhone will not.

Kuo also previously said that Apple will use Intel's XMM 7560 and Qualcomm's Snapdragon X20 modems for faster LTE speeds, and that the DSDS devices will support LTE+LTE connections to allow two SIM cards to be active simultaneously using one set of chips. A dual-SIM feature would make it easier for people to switch carriers when traveling by allowing and Kuo believes it would be highly popular in China.

Apple is rumored to be planning to introduce three iPhones in 2018, the 6.1-inch LCD model outlined here, a 5.8-inch OLED model positioned as a sort of second-generation iPhone X, and a 6.5-inch OLED model that can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus."

Kuo believes that mass production on the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will start three to five weeks later than the two OLED models because of the recent decision to add a DSDS model. Apple's supply chain will see strong growth in 4Q18-2Q19F, says Kuo, with the 6.1-inch iPhone's low price and DSDS feature to "significantly boost shipment momentum."

Kuo predicts the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone and the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone will be Apple's most popular devices next year, with consumers less interested in the 5.8-inch model due to its smaller screen, higher price tag, and lack of DSDS functionality compared to the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone.

The 6.1-inch LCD model in particular could account for 65 to 75 percent of total iPhone shipments from 3Q 2018 to 3Q 2019.

Article Link: Apple May Offer Two 6.1-Inch iPhone Models in 2018 With Price Tag as Low as $550

2. NagasakiGG macrumors member

What does DSDS mean? I mean, where is the difference between DualSim and DualSim DualStandby

3. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

These 6.1 LCD and 6.5 OLED iPhones are abominations. Goes against everything the iPhone X stood for (IMO).

4. cansuds macrumors regular

cansuds

5. cliffster82 macrumors regular

I'll take the 2017 X for less than a thousand. Fingers crossed.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I didn't get the iPhone X because it has less screen area compared to my current iPhone 6s Plus from 2015. Looking forward to the 6.5" iPhone X Plus.

7. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

From my understanding, dual-SIM dual standby allows two SIM cards to be active at once with a single transceiver. Dual-SIM standby only allows for one active SIM card at a time, though you can have two in the phone. There's also a dual-SIM option where you have two SIM cards and two transceivers, but it eats up extra battery life.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Why? They are the same exact design only larger.

9. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I think the 5.8" is the sweet spot. The thing has to fit in my pocket and my budget.

10. bmark macrumors regular

Still have the hideous notch design, I'll pass!!

11. BeamWalker macrumors 6502a

BeamWalker

Less expensive sounds good. Knowing Apple I am not holding my breath though.

12. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

Wow.. Dual SIM iPhone? I'll believe it when I see it.

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Here’s hoping the X plus at least starts at the same price as the x and not more.

Edit: Apple’s phone lineup will be a mess if they have two versions of the 6.1 inch device

14. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

15. AvisDeene macrumors member

AvisDeene

I’ll be holding on to my iPhone 6s Plus until it no longer works. Hopefully it will last until Apple improves iOS and they implement MicroLED.

16. ValO macrumors 65816

Me too, no way apple will release a new mainstream model for $550.

My guess is at least $699 for the non dual sim en 799 for the dual sim.
    5.8 iphone x for $899-949 and x plus for 999-1049-1099(?)

550 means it will be even cheaper than a current iphone 7, i don’ t believe that for a second.

17. digitalexplr macrumors 6502

digitalexplr

Early rumors have said the 6.1 will be microLED and the other two OLED. I guess will learn more as the rumors fly!

I'm still not wanting to give up the touchID.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I don't know, even though it technically has a larger diagonal screen than the 8 plus, it has disadvantages. The display area in safari and other apps is smaller. Videos are very tiny, and when you go in full screen mode the notch gets in the way. A bigger iPhone X would solve some of these issues.

19. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Single sim? Dual sim? Whatever happened to Apple's plan to go sim-free?

20. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

21. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Sorry... Remind me again why we are still using SIM cards?

22. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

23. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Too many models. The $500 one shouldn't look the same as the $1000 one.

24. scottcampbell macrumors regular

I'm not prone to believe the lower price information after iPad didn't come out any less expensive.

25. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

They just need X Plus and X (normal size), then a cheap option.

I think it was silly they even bothered to release the 8.... they should have just done X and then the upgraded 7+ at a lower price (as the cheap option).