Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple May Replace Some Original Apple Watch Models in Need of Repair With Series 1 Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today informed retail store employees and Apple Authorized Service Providers that some original first-generation Apple Watch models that require repairs can be replaced with Series 1 Apple Watch models.

The substitutions are limited to aluminum Apple Watch models in Silver, Space Gray, Gold, and Rose Gold, and are only available in some countries, which were not specified in Apple's directive.
In some countries, Apple Watch Aluminum (1st generation) parts (in all colors) may be substituted with Apple Watch Aluminum (Series 1) parts. The parts substitution should now be working properly in MobileGenius and Repair Central.
Apple Watch Series 1 models, which were introduced alongside the Series 2 Apple Watch in September of 2016, are nearly identical to original Apple Watch models, with the exception of the processor. In Series 1 Apple Watch models, there's an upgraded dual-core S1P chip, which is similar to the S2 chip in the Series 2 but without GPS capabilities.

Original Apple Watch models are no longer covered by Apple's one-year warranty, but customers who purchased AppleCare for their watches are still eligible for no-cost repairs of manufacturing issues for two years from the date of purchase.

Article Link: Apple May Replace Some Original Apple Watch Models in Need of Repair With Series 1 Models

Reactions: throAU

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
A little unrelated, but I feel like there haven't been any Apple Watch Series 3 rumors in a long time. Are those still coming this autumn or is Apple really on an 18 month cycle?

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's good to hear actually. Mine was supposed to be sent in for repairs a while ago, there was an issue with the speaker not working (not to do with water). An Apple Genius chap confirmed it but I didn't want to send it in just yet because it meant not having it for a week or so. I might just have to go back to the store now :)

Comment

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
A little unrelated, but I feel like there haven't been any Apple Watch Series 3 rumors in a long time. Are those still coming this autumn or is Apple really on an 18 month cycle?
My *guess is that Apple is really on a 18 month cycle. Who knows though, it took Apple a couple of generations to a regular cycle with the iPad.

Reactions: Mascots and macduke
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
My *guess is that Apple is really on a 18 month cycle. Who knows though, it took Apple a couple of generations to a regular cycle with the iPad.
I would be fine with this. We don't need a new Watch every year. I had originally planned to get the third generation after the first, but honestly I don't see any reason to except that I have a hairline crack down one side of the display that is barely noticeable.

Comment

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
I wouldn't mind a Series 1 replacement, can my screen pop off, or the backplate fall off? lol No way am I paying the $199 OOW fee. I could buy a Series 1 for that.

Comment

archstan

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
I had a launch day series 0 42mm sport replaced last month in Spain due to water damage (not covered by warranty). The replacement is a series 1

Comment

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I wouldn't mind a Series 1 replacement, can my screen pop off, or the backplate fall off? lol No way am I paying the $199 OOW fee. I could buy a Series 1 for that.

Didn't see your post. Plus one more year for swollen battery issue = popped off front or back

Comment

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
I have a Series0 Sports model and the battery is awful now. I have Apple care, expires next month. Wonder what will happen

Comment

Mike121989

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2017
I sent mine for downgrade and got back a Series 1. Definitely a nice speed improvement.

Comment

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
I have a Series0 Sports model and the battery is awful now. I have Apple care, expires next month. Wonder what will happen
Have them run a diagnostic on it. if its below 80% health, you will get a free replacement. As long as you do it before AC expires. But if you get a S0 or S1 as a replacement won't be known until you get it back.

Comment

ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010

i dont remember there being any series 2 rumors too, until it was announced on stage.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
My Series 0 gold Sport is inexplicably bricked. It will be interesting to see if I can get it repaired and for how much.

I won't pay if it's too much. I've already replaced it with a series 2 Nike Sport in Space Gray that I love. I swim with it almost every day.

Comment

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Man, and mine is still running perfectly. I guess I'll have them check the battery, can't hurt. Not expecting to get anything for free - but it is nice to see Apple doing that for their customers!

EDIT: Just checked an it's no long under warranty. No bother - it's still working great!

Comment

ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010

i was having the same issue. went to the apple store to have a battery diagnosis run before my AC expired. it came back as "acceptable". after a few more weeks of bad battery life (after my AC expired), i decided to wipe the watch clean and "setup as new." i've done plenty of re-pairs over the 2 years ive had my watch but never a complete re-do. gave me the opportunity to remove a ton of apps i never used anymore.

it seems to have made a difference of at least 20%. for reference - sleeping with my watch would go from 100-65 overnight...now, 100-85 or 80. During the day, I would would go into Power Reserve around dinner time...now I'm putting in on the charger before bed with 25% left. So setting up fresh seems to have added 20% battery life across the board.

i also just bit the bullet and just bought a 2nd charging cable to keep in my work bag. now after my mid-day workout, i'll charge it up at my desk.

so i would definitely go get a diagnosis done first, but if its still within spec, try setting up as new.

Comment

tridley68

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2014
Not sure i want to have my more expensive stainless steel watch replaced with aluminum maybe if they threw in a $50 i tunes card to cover the diff.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.