Apple Media Event Scheduled for September 9th? No Tablet Announcement?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

All Things Digital reports that Apple has scheduled a media event for Wednesday, September 9th in San Francisco. The event will presumably take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts where similar Apple events have been held in the past, and will be focused on iPod and iTunes updates. The sources claim that no mention will be made of Apple's much-anticipated tablet computer.
    There is no word yet on whether Apple CEO Steve Jobs will be presenting for the first time since his return from a medical leave of absence for a liver transplant.

Reports last week at pointed to a media event scheduled for sometime during the week of September 7th, and other sources have also claimed that there will be no tablet introduction at the event.

Article Link: Apple Media Event Scheduled for September 9th? No Tablet Announcement?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Tablet rumors are just to find the people leaking info inside of Apple. Think about it....

3. vvebsta macrumors 6502a

vvebsta

Thanks God! I would hate if it were all about the dumb tablet.

4. rich2k4 macrumors regular

i also hope that they announce price drops for the imac line.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Seems reasonable to me.

We might see that the week before (like in 2006).

6. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Isn't the iPhone a tablet in itself ? What more do you want./ $#!t.... get a powerbook if you need more. A bigger iPhone is just a bigger toy

7. svalentine macrumors regular

The launch of iTunes 9 should occur, along with new iPod releases.

I really hope blu-ray support is announced! Maybe drive availability in current Mac lineups? I don't see any other hardware launches happening.

8. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

It's an event about music, so don't expect anything to do with computers or tablets. Music, and that's it.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

iTunes cocoa rewrite *crosses fingers*

yeah right... they'll just bloat it even more with social networking.

10. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Sweet! I just hope Steve Jobs makes an appearance at this media event even if it's just for a few minutes.

11. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Ohh, nice. I will be buying the 3rd generation iPod Touch, I am excited and I really hope it gets that rumored camera. :p
    -Justin

12. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

well, I don't expect tablet stuff this time. it's too early to finish that product even though we have seen some files on iphone software 3.0. as we know, Apple never releases unfinished product, is never hurry up for new one. as rumors say, we will see tablet someday next year if it is possible. anyway, it seems something has been confirmed on new ipods. for third generation touch, and 5th generation nano will have camera on the back. but I hope that Apple would replace the back to some matte, scratch resistant material like ipod nano. I don't want to cover all my ipods & iphone by cases. if Apple will change material for iphone near the future, I will be happier ever. plus, I am not sure whether Apple will update iTunes or not. but I don't think that social networking site like facebook or another streaming radio last. fm will be added. of course, last. fm is little different from itunes streaming radio. it makes your favorites, then streaming similar one? but 'cocktail' will be really true. I also want to change some feature on iTunes store (app store). actually, it's not easy to find what I really want to get.

we will see new very soon. we all fingers cross.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's rumor that Justin Timberlake will be hosting this keynote.

14. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

You know what else is being released on 9/9/09? The remastered Beatles albums. Coincidence?

15. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

We'll see what comes.

If the tablet falls under the iPod range instead of being its own market device or in the laptop/mobile computing range, it could be introduced on the 9th. The device is being rumored to be a kind of expanded iPT/iPhone device, so it will link to all the apps and music like an iPod.

Personally, I doubt it will debut from the kinds of rumors that are coming fast and furious these days. I wouldn't be surprised if a tablet never surfaces for another 2 or 3 years, despite my hopes to see it in stores before Thanksgiving.

16. fortetfn macrumors member

Tablets

It's really NOT likely that Apple would make another product to create a competition against its own laptop line.

Even if there was a tablet, the functions would be semi-crippled like the iPhone. This product wouldn't be ready just like till the 3rd gen iPhone, it's still not up to par. However, this 3rd one is a lot better than the 1st gen.

Keep dreaming on this unrealistic tablet pc.

17. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Oh exciting, can't wait to see what they have in their secret labs.

18. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Jobs>Timberlake

19. joueboy macrumors 68000

Something awesome!

In order for SJ to have an awesome comeback he should have something great to introduce. Other than being a good keynote speaker great stuff makes a better presentation. I believe he's going to surprise us it is something he loves to do surprising us.

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ha, forgot about that, could be a good sign, considering they licensed the music off to Harmonix, could be a sign of a big deal to get Apple Inc and Apple Corps together at long last.

21. RyanR. macrumors 6502

RyanR.

Do you think there could be, "one more thing..." this year. O it sends chills down my spine when Jobs says that.:D

Could be a Tablet that runs full OS X... X's fingers....maybe they planted a rumor saying no tablet and then there is:eek:

22. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Well, get ready for a let down! This will be strictly about the iPod line and iTunes. Same ole same ole every year!--)))) Just like clock work. ;)

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Tablet=stupid

Bring on the new iPods! I'm curious to see what direction they'll be taking the Nano and Classic lines.:)

24. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Lets see if people start moaning because its moved two days forward ;)

25. TorontoPolar macrumors newbie

Tablet *will* be pre-announced at this event

Think about it - when the tablet ships, Apple wants there to be lots of software already available for it. In order to get developers working on the software in advance, they have to let them know the screen size, some of the key features, and release an SDK.

This is the perfect opportunity to pre-announce it, with all the info that developers need to get cracking, but keeping just enough info secret to make it splash when it hits the market (just in time for xmas? or a certain January show?)

How far in advance was the iPhone announced before it shipped?