Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Think about it - when the tablet ships, Apple wants there to be lots of software already available for it. In order to get developers working on the software in advance, they have to let them know the screen size, some of the key features, and release an SDK.

This is the perfect opportunity to pre-announce it, with all the info that developers need to get cracking, but keeping just enough info secret to make it splash when it hits the market (just in time for xmas? or a certain January show?)

How far in advance was the iPhone announced before it shipped?

IIRC there was a small article a while ago where Apple was asking people if they would be willing to pay for premium apps ($25+), so maybe that relates to this, rather than the iPhone, and maybe some of the bigger devs have already made games and apps, but they're being sworn to secrecy under a NDA.

One day after the back to school "Free iPod" promotion ends...

It's always been that way, everyone knows the free iPod promotion is just to clear out old stock...

monkeyrun

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
September is usually the time to launch new ipods.

Not saying tablet won't make a surprise appearance, but don't raise your expectations.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Damn I'm excited for September.

MMS, 3.1 iPhone Update, Facebook 3.0, 13" MacBook Pro (I'm getting), Snow Leopard & iTunes 9.

RareEarthMetal

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Yes, yes we're all looking forward to the ipod line refresh.

3rd generation Ipod touch is coming my way. Soon. very soon.

so will it be available commercially on that day? I want it A.S.A.P

perhaps a white ipod touch? with a video cam, N-router capable, microphone and 16gb starting at 199 and an oleophobic screen?

Thats my dream. Oh! one last thing, since the tomtom thing now is available for the ipod touch, that means it has gps now?

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I think everyone needs to realize that Apple's special events are always laser focused. If this next special event is about music, then it will just be about music.

Sorry folks no new iMacs and no new tablets.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
It's really NOT likely that Apple would make another product to create a competition against its own laptop line.

Even if there was a tablet, the functions would be semi-crippled like the iPhone. This product wouldn't be ready just like till the 3rd gen iPhone, it's still not up to par. However, this 3rd one is a lot better than the 1st gen.

Keep dreaming on this unrealistic tablet pc.

I still think the ONLY thing that would make a tablet worth producing/buying is OSX. without that it's just a big iPhone which would just be very dull and unimaginative IMHO.

September 9 iPod refreshes with cameras and iTunes 9 would be fine :)

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
What I think?
-New iPod Nano / iPod Touch,
-iTunes 9 (64-bit) with BluRay support,
-Updated iMac's and MacBookPro's with BluRay drives,
One more thing...
-Beatles coming to iTunes!

;)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What I think?
-Updated iMac's and MacBookPro's with BluRay drives,
One more thing...

;)

iTunes supporting Blu-Ray. Funny. Though I think BD-R support is coming, just not in iTunes.

Macs traditionally have their own "event" in Oct. Intel's got some spiffy new chips out so would be great to see an i7 powered iMac w/ Blu-Ray CTO option + iLife '10 with a new BD-R burning app.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
iTunes supporting Blu-Ray. Funny. Though I think BD-R support is coming, just not in iTunes.

Macs traditionally have their own "event" in Oct. Intel's got some spiffy new chips out so would be great to see an i7 powered iMac w/ Blu-Ray CTO option + iLife '10 with a new BD-R burning app.

Do you think that updated iMac's are coming as soon as October / November? I wouldn't have expected an update until Q1, 2010.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
MacBook Pros? I doubt Apple would revise the June models already... it will only have been approximately three months.

But if they were going to launch Blu-ray support in iTunes they might well just update the optical drives to Blu-ray models - no other change to the hardware.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Given, also they may kill off the classic, MAY.
How would iTunes benefit from bluray support? Also, iTunes won't see 64-bit this year. :( it requires a full rewrite, and they'll label that iTunes X.
Updated iMac's and MacBookPro's with BluRay drives,
One more thing...
That sounds more like a January announcement.

;)

kmt

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2006
So it looks like "back to school" ends 1 day before the new ipod touch is announced. Was it that close last year?

Did anyone who ordered on the last day of the promotion last year manage to get the new model?

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
new nano, here i come. I'm pretty happy with the 2g touch and the 3gs iphone, so the new touch would have to be pretty great.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Clearly this will be an iPod specific event. Perhaps they will also announce the official release of Snow Leopard.

I doubt that the scope of the event will beyond the aforementioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.