Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
unfortunately, I can't post that. I have been working with MS and Apple on this issue for my company. I heard it directly from a PMC Field Engineer for Exchange (MS employee) in an email.

This seems to have happened. In very limited testing, it works for me now. It didn't last night.

Reactions: Frosties

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
It was actually a Microsoft issue. I was the one working with Apple for my company on this for the past 2 weeks. Microsoft enabled HTTP/2 on their CAFE servers and that caused the issue. I guess its not compatible with iOS 11. It was only happening when you try to send a new email with an attachment or a reply when a signature in the thread had an icon so it attached the icon in the reply. Hope this helps.
[doublepost=1505911674][/doublepost]

The change was made by apple within iOS11 - MS overnight changed nothing...!
Apples OS is not meeting the application requirements. That said, its not like apple doesn't use this software internally so why was it not picked up in "testing".

Reactions: Geckotek

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apples OS is not meeting the application requirements. That said, its not like apple doesn't use this software internally so why was it not picked up in "testing".
Apple didn't push out a secret iOS update overnight. This wasn't fixed on Apple's end.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'm working fine on my work phones, my personal phones, both my wifes phones and both the kids phones.
And all 7 iPads... all on 10.3 are working fine too... just saying :confused:

Last edited:

Christopher.D

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
I have been using the iOS 11 native mail client since the first beta to access multiple Microsoft Exchange accounts (on-prem Windows 2016/Exchange and O365) without any issues. In fact, I use it more than my desktop email. I send out files with multiple attachments, and at least one of my accounts has an image in the email signature.

However, it is possible that all of my exchange end-points did not implement http/2 (I don't have visibility into those settings). It would not be the first time Microsoft rolled out change without properly publishing it in beta's, especially if the change impacts potential security holes (the Microsoft AD and SharePoint APIs have a long, frustrating history of these types of changes).

I would be curious if other iOS email apps that use the iOS Exchange account settings (e.g. Spark/Airmail) are having an issue as well. Outlook for iOS does NOT use the iOS exchange settings, which drives my IT people nuts because for every device I have 2 unique mobile device IDs for exchange (one for iOS apps and one for Outlook for iOS). During the iOS 11 beta, I have run both Spark and Airmail without any issues against Exchange, but again, I do not know if any of my exchange end-points implemented the http/2 change.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

I don't recall the reason, but a former employer off mine had also banned the use of the Outlook app over security concerns. We don't use it at my current workplace, so I haven't really bothered to track research it as well as I should.

jase1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Texas
This isn't the first time, and it's always happening with the launch of a new iOS. I've seen Microsoft blame Apple for this when it was their own fault for changing their own specs - and just like this time, beta testers saw it coming months ahead of time which is Apple's fault.

complete BS

mattynat

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017

There were no changes within iOS 11 GM and the official release yesterday. The issue is still happening on tenants within O365 that have HTTP/2 turned on. I had the pleasure of working with Apple and MS over the last 2 weeks sending them logs and other information. You also have to understand, Apple does not use O365 internally or externally so they wouldn't have caught this issue. They have a lot of bug reports that people send in. Most of those users don't even try to troubleshoot by turning it off and back on again. Beta software is supposed to be run on non-production devices. So part of the troubleshooting expecting by Apple is for a restore to be done, eventually. Most people that run the public beta, its on their full time device so many of the bug reports weren't complete and others just didn't work with Apple on the issue. Plus, with everyone saying they sent a bug report, they can't get to everyone who reports a bug.

jase1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Texas
Yeah, I just don't like MS.

That's fair and they have done some things in the past that deserve that response just like most, if not all, tech companies. I have equal disdain for MSFT and AAPL. Quality from apple has degraded to the point where they are no better than anyone else. I dislike Google most of all... oh well, maybe I'm just an angry person :p.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
That's fair and they have done some things in the past that deserve that response just like most, if not all, tech companies. I have equal disdain for MSFT and AAPL. Quality from apple has degraded to the point where they are no better than anyone else. I dislike Google most of all... oh well, maybe I'm just an angry person :p.
Nope. Fair response. For almost a decade now, they've focused their considerable brainpower primarily on developing ad-platforms. Sad, really.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
There were no changes within iOS 11 GM and the official release yesterday. The issue is still happening on tenants within O365 that have HTTP/2 turned on. I had the pleasure of working with Apple and MS over the last 2 weeks sending them logs and other information. You also have to understand, Apple does not use O365 internally or externally so they wouldn't have caught this issue. They have a lot of bug reports that people send in. Most of those users don't even try to troubleshoot by turning it off and back on again. Beta software is supposed to be run on non-production devices. So part of the troubleshooting expecting by Apple is for a restore to be done, eventually. Most people that run the public beta, its on their full time device so many of the bug reports weren't complete and others just didn't work with Apple on the issue. Plus, with everyone saying they sent a bug report, they can't get to everyone who reports a bug.

So how is it that the issue does not exist in previous versions of iOS? Whose implementation if HTTP/2 is failing? Can I get a latte from a CAFE Server?

tmanini

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017

Nice post: sane, measured, professional, polite, practical, experienced.

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Since WWDC, I have had iOS11 installed and ran through all the beta's and never experienced this with my O365 system. I might be lucky, but it worked for me. Even in GM.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Dear Microsoft,

The only reason I use your @hotmail.com domain is because I signed up back in 1998. There is nothing else about your crappy software or hardware that I enjoy using anymore.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!

Ummm yeah logic 101. With iOS 10.x and these Microsoft services it all worked fine. Update your device to iOS 11 and it stops working. Microsoft's fault??????????????

That said I use outlook.com for my email and I can send and receive just fine with the default mail app using iOS 11 on my iPhone 7.

Reactions: Geckotek

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Ummm yeah logic 101. With iOS 10.x and these Microsoft services it all worked fine. Update your device to iOS 11 and it stops working. Microsoft's fault??????????????

That said I use outlook.com for my email and I can send and receive just fine with the default mail app using iOS 11 on my iPhone 7.
Man, maybe I should clarify my post. It was just a general :mad: to MS. I'm gettin' a lot of hate. Sorry, I just don't like MS. That's all I'm sayin'.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Works fine for me on our Exchange server at work. I just spoke with my IT Pro and he said we have 2016. Hopefully problems don't crop up over time. Might be a certain server configuration issue triggering the bug? Probably once they narrow that down they can patch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.