Apple Modeling Apple Music Exclusive Content After ‘MTV in its 80s and 90s Heyday’

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has consistently been securing exclusive content, like Drake's latest album "Views", Taylor Swift's "The 1989 World Tour" concert film and music videos from The Weeknd and Eminem. In a new feature from Rolling Stone, Larry Jackson, Apple Music's head of original content, said the goal of securing that exclusive content is to put the service "at the intersection of all things relevant in pop culture."

Jackson says that the model is "MTV in its Eighties and Nineties heyday. You always felt that Michael Jackson or Britney Spears lived there. How do you emotionally conjure up that feeling for people?"
Apple's deals with artists not only include exclusive streaming windows for singles and albums, but funding for music videos. For instance, Drake's "Hotline Bling" music video was funded by Apple, as were two videos for The Weeknd's "Cant Feel My Face" (one of which was not released).

The goal is to help artists feel like they can do interesting things with Apple. Monte Lipman, head of Republic Records, home of Ariana Grande and The Weekend, tells Rolling Stone that the Cupertino company has been prepared to do things other companies haven't. "Lately they've been very clever in coming to us with what we consider groundbreaking opportunities," he said.

Many of these opportunities include contributions from Apple executives. Tim Cook "weighed in" on the production of M.I.A.'s "Borders" music video while Swift says Jackson helped her brainstorm, make plans for and edit her concert film. That collaboration led to the Apple Music commercial where Swift raps along with Drake and Future's "Jumpman." The commercial helped increase "Jumpman" sales 43 percent, according to Rolling Stone.

However, Apple's strategy hasn't always worked out. Jackson says the company was in talks to host Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo." West eventually pulled out of talks to put his album on rival service Tidal, which he co-owns with Jay-Z. He chose Tidal over Apple Music because he "wanted to work with his friend," according to Jackson. While Kanye West initially said the album would "never" appear on Apple Music, the album did eventually come to the service.

Ultimately, Jackson told the magazine that the philosophy at Apple Music is "to go and get it done" when it comes to securing original content The service also has deals with Keith Richards, Selena Gomez and the Black Eyed Peas. Most recently, Apple gained the rights to exclusively launch Dreezy's debut album "No Hard Feelings." The service will also soon start hosting original video content like Dr. Dre's "Vital Signs" TV show and a six-episode documentary series co-produced with Vice.

Article Link: Apple Modeling Apple Music Exclusive Content After 'MTV in its 80s and 90s Heyday'

Reactions: B/D and Dim08

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Exclusives are kind of annoying and I'd feel better about my choice of streaming services if they improved the service and features, but I get that exclusives do bring hype. Although if they're going for an 80s/90s MTV feel then I wholly support reboots of both Singled Out and Remote Control. Just, please, no Kennedy.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I hate to see music going the way of exclusives, because no one service will get them all. No one wants to join Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, Google Play, and Amazon Prime just to listen to all their favorite artists. I'll stick with buying CDs before I subscribe to 5 music services.

Exclusives has always been around, this is nothing new. Good on Apple for collaborating with artists to create content.

fourfour44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
MTV in the 80s and 90s? No wonder I have zero interest in Apple music and never have any idea who these supposed talented "artists" are. I never cared about or paid attention to MTV in the 80s or the 90s (or the 00s or the 10s) because I don't need a TV or radio station to tell me what music to listen to, I already know and own the music I like and have no need to "discover" aggravating obnoxious noise that is called "music" for some reason.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I hate to see music going the way of exclusives
Exclusives are kind of annoying
True... but no artist should be exclusive on Apple Music for long.

Can you imagine an artist saying "I only want my music to ever be available to a whopping 15 million Apple Music customers... screw everyone else..."

Apple might write them a huge check for exclusivity for a few weeks... but it would be a bad idea to remain exclusive in the long run.

ck2875

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Jackson says that the model is "MTV in its Eighties and Nineties heyday. You always felt that Michael Jackson or Britney Spears lived there. How do you emotionally conjure up that feeling for people?"
As long as they don't start modeling it after the MTV of today.

But the bigger issue is that you aren't going to capture that same exclusivity that cable tv music channels enjoyed in the late 80s and early 90s, where people would tune into MTV to watch a video premiere since there was no other way. Yes, you can sign exclusivity deals all you want, but the majority of people aren't going to bail on their platform of choice in the digital age when other ways exist.

Larry Jackson, Apple Music's head of original content, said the goal of securing that exclusive content is to put the service "at the intersection of all things relevant in pop culture."
As long as Apple Music doesn't get run over by an Uber driver listening to their client's Spotify playlist while playing in the middle of the street.

Apple's deals with artists not only include exclusive streaming windows for singles and albums, but funding for music videos.
This is probably the most interesting aspect of this, IMO. That said, I would like to see them working with artists whose record labels wouldn't already shell out money to produce music videos.

However, Apple's strategy hasn't always worked out. Jackson says the company was in talks to host Kanye West's "The Life of Pablo." West eventually pulled out of talks to put his album on rival service Tidal.
Wouldn't it be for the best if Kanye always pulled out. #doubleentendre

Ultimately, Jackson told the magazine that the philosophy at Apple Music is "to go and get it done" when it comes to securing original content The service also has deals with Keith Richards, Selena Gomez and the Black Eyed Peas.
Will.i.am surely told them that they "Gotta Get That"?

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Sorry, but the article's justification for exclusivity is laughable. Especially for someone like Drake. Do you honestly think he was struggling for finding funds for any of his music video? No. Apple saw his streaming numbers and sales, and offered him a good amount of cash so most of the traffic for his songs go through Apple. It's as simple as that. It's not to help any of these artists. It's to force customers to use one platform over the other.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
"Exclusive content"... even the name is ugly. It's about exclusion.

When content providers start lining up exclusives, it means that they don't plan to compete on an open, level playing field, in terms of quality of service, breadth and depth of content, and price. It means they intend to get subscribers by coercing them ("if you want ____, you have to sign up with us") and to hurt competitors by making them unable to offer that same content... but possibly with better service, more other stuff, and lower prices.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hm. Now it makes some sense. Potentially...

Mtv was fun when it was music videos, funny indie animation shorts, mainstream and non-mainstream artistes making short silly appearances, and no one taking any of it too seriously. Also the feeling of it being more or less live, made it feel current and exciting.

If Apple could do that, they might have something to Tune in to and watch.

There's no shortage of writers, comedian hosts, & artists looking for work.

Reactions: Mactendo

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Exclusives are kind of annoying and I'd feel better about my choice of streaming services if they improved the service and features, but I get that exclusives do bring hype. Although if they're going for an 80s/90s MTV feel then I wholly support reboots of both Singled Out and Remote Control. Just, please, no Kennedy.
Kari Wurher FTW? ;)

Seriously, if they are going to put together content like this, I hopw they have as few "shows" as possible. Since MTV abandoned (yes, they did) any type of music video format (talking US here; MTV Europe still does this) and the only decent ones you see are on VH1 Classic, if they could do a 90 - 95% all music video format, they may have something.

Either way, Remote Control was a fun show. Sing along with Colin.. Colin could barely hold a note without making a cat howl somewhere! Question: whose voice could you stand the least? Julie Brown, or Downtown Julie Brown? :p

BL.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Only if you have the wrong service...
No, because some other service will also have their own exclusives, possibly forcing you to subscribe to that service for those. If I want to stream Master of None, Man in the High Castle, Game of Thrones, Casual, and Community, I have to subscribe to five different services, because they're all exclusive to one.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
No, because some other service will also have their own exclusives, possibly forcing you to subscribe to that service for those. If I want to stream Master of None, Game of Thrones, Casual, and Community, I have to subscribe to four different services, because they're all exclusive to one.
What you expect? One service to have everything everyone else has?

The reality is that Apple is innovating, Tidal also tried some things, but everyone else, is not!

It's not like OC grows on trees and Apple is profiting on that. Apple is making OC, and selling OC.

Maybe Spotify with it's 30 million paying subscribers + much more ad-supported subscribers would find some money and make something original, no?

Last edited:

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
MTV in the 80s and 90s? No wonder I have zero interest in Apple music and never have any idea who these supposed talented "artists" are. I never cared about or paid attention to MTV in the 80s or the 90s (or the 00s or the 10s) because I don't need a TV or radio station to tell me what music to listen to, I already know and own the music I like and have no need to "discover" aggravating obnoxious noise that is called "music" for some reason.
Hey punk! You, my Lawn..... You know what to do :)

Reactions: doelcm82

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
All together now: "can't innovate my ass!"? When you dial in retro MTV gimmickry and mediocre artist exclusives into Apple Maps you are sure to be lead to the "intersection of all things relevant in pop culture." :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm old, but do videos really have impact like in MTV's heyday? Are kids that devoted to them that an exclusive would have sway? Something tells me if a video was a big deal it would find it's way to kids no matter what anyway. Just seems like a desperation move to me. Why not get attention by doing something that truly raises the bar like, say, lossless streams? Trying to compete on content with all the other subscription services seems like a great way to burn cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.