Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
FCP X is mentioned again and again that it's completely rebuilt, with many features in the pipeline.

And that excuse for FCP X sucking is still BS. It's "grading on a curve" to steal from John Gruber's comments about reviewers who make excuses for Android tablets that aren't quite ready. It's not "Version 1" of "FCP X", it's the latest version of Final Cut Pro, a product with a long history, and should be considered as such. And as such it is a totally inadequate "upgrade" to the versions that came before it.

I hope the Logic users are pleasantly surprised to hear that Apple have learnt from the FCP fiasco.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I don't see this as an App Store release unless they remove all the virtual instruments and loops. That content is close to 70gigs! That is part of what made logic such a good value. Remove that, and they will need to lower the cost of Logic a whole lot!

Maybe they'll release jam packs for logic :p it is a bit of a big download so hopefully it will be available as a box version or both boxed and digital.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
I have faith that Apple wont screw this one up as badly as FCPX. Though if they do any kind of overhaul, I'll be a bit pissed. I know logic inside and out since the Logic 4 days on PC. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see some big updates in the exs24 and other plugins... but the way it works is fine as it is.

midischool.com

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
Manchester
It's priced well in our opinion.

Uh oh...I really hope they don't screw it up...

Agreed !

I also hope that they keep it as a platform for the professional user and don't start messing around with it to make it more of a domestic product.I think it's price point is on the money at the moment, of course we always want things cheaper, but cheap does not always mean good as we also know.

Originally we where, and still are to a minor extent a Cubase Training Centre, but have been a Apple Logic Training Centre for many years, we have seen it grow into in our opinion to be the market leader by miles… Let's hope they do not mess with it to much.

Please don't make it even more like garage band!

Last edited:

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Firstly, a few people seem to have got their facts wrong on the history of the app.

Apple bought out Emagic when they were on version 5 NOT version 7.
They continued to put out PC updates until version 6 when it became Mac only.
They changed the branding from Emagic to Apple with version 7.

Now I'm still on version 8 here but have been using Logic since it was still called Notator and looked like this:

notator1.gif

It was a genuine please to use up until version 6, version 7 had some issues that took some getting used to, 8 fixed some and introduced more like the unified window system (oh how I hate thee).
I don't have enough experience with 9 to give a full and valid opinion but I dread to think what will happen with version 10 (or X if they go with that).

On the one hand I think going at it fresh from the ground up could be a great thing to do, there's still buggy code in there that's been hanging around for almost 2 decades!
But on the other hand, I'm terrified they'll balls it up and I'll have to put aside almost 20 years of use and learn something else to stay current :rolleyes:

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
And that excuse for FCP X sucking is still BS. It's "grading on a curve" to steal from John Gruber's comments about reviewers who make excuses for Android tablets that aren't quite ready. It's not "Version 1" of "FCP X", it's the latest version of Final Cut Pro, a product with a long history, and should be considered as such. And as such it is a totally inadequate "upgrade" to the versions that came before it.

Every single Apple software with version number X has been a complete rewrite/overhaul designed not as an upgrade, but as a new-platform replacement.

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
Hmmm

Logic X - I was a big time user of Logic - But have been pulled more and more towards Reason - the community is better, the instruments available are better and now with 6.0 coming you can record audio - Less overhead on the Mac too - But I'll still have a soft spot for Logic and can't wait for the next version.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Firstly, a few people seem to have got their facts wrong on the history of the app.

They changed the branding from Emagic to Apple with version 7.

My Mistake, should have said "When Apple Branded It (V7)

Anyways, much experiences mirror yours there. Personally, I loved V06 when it was ported to OSX, think I qas quite fond of the app then. V7 was quite a step back in many ways.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Quite clear that none of you are regular Logic users considering the comments you are making. Firstly, Logic has already need dumbed down when Apple took over for version 8. Sure they will want to feature better integration and deliver at a cheaper price point but there are genuine competitors now that Apple actually have to work hard to stave off. Bear in mind that much of the original Emagic team are still working on Logic so it will still retain it's depth even if it is encased in a simpler interface.
Apple needs to keep things as they are and add some proper 'on the fly' time stretching and pitching abilities like Live and to a lesser degree, Tools. They clearly had the tech in Logic 9 with varispeed but didn't implement it fully. Worst case scenario I'll just stick with 9 and use Live, Tools, Reason and Cubase more often.
Logic Pro X and a new Mac Pro please!

I agree with your post other than the term "dumbing down". Logic's interface has always been more convoluted and less intuitive than it needs to be, and recent updates have been major improvements. Sure, they've made it simpler to use, but in a good way - the same functionality and features are still there, but less cumbersome to get to. Logic could definitely go even further in that direction and still be a great app for pro use.

FCX had some intentional dumbing down, but it also lost many features because the code base was so old and crusty that they had to throw much of it out and start from scratch to get to 64 bit and make other enhancements. Logic is already 64 bit and has been for over a year and a half - that transition already happened and was relatively painless, so I think comparisons to the FCX aren't relevant.

Wrong, when apple bought Emagic they announced the end of the PC version immediately.

8 fixed some and introduced more like the unified window system (oh how I hate thee).

I don't get the complaining about the single window option, working in multiple windows (and screensets) wasn't removed and works fine. And 9 was a great update, 64 bit alone was reason enough for me to move to the latest versions.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
On a plus side. Logic had a almost total code re-write for Logic 8, and a re-vamped UI. This wont be going the route of FCPX this time.

I'm really worried right now. I currently use Logic, but Apple has put so little effort in to its development, and support is awful. Bugs even from Logic 8 first release are still aplenty, and updates are too slow. Price isn't an issue, Logic can pay itself off in one days work, but I have stuck by it because it is portable.

Plenty of my FCP friends have jumped ship for Avid, I'm considering investing in Pro Tools HD now that it is native if the new Logic isn't up to scratch.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Hilarious

60+ responses and I can tell that a majority have not a clue about where Logic has been nor where it has going.

As a few posters have already stated. The UI update for Logic happened in Version 8. There likely won't be anything new here.

Logic doesn't share the same issue that Final Cut Pro did. It wasn't based on Quicktime which was stuck at 32-bit. Apple moved Logic to Core Audio years ago meaning that it would be a relatively easy transition to 64-bit bit unlike Quicktime.

I suspect this article is correct. Soundtrack Pro is dead, core functionality will be embedded or a plugin. Main Stage will be a $50 add on and Waveburner will simply be a embedded feature rather than a separate product.

The UI isn't going to change drastically. There are no significant parallels with Logic development and Final Cut Pro X

mentholiptus

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
YES!!

Been using logic since v3.5 platinum. I love everything Apple has done with it. A bit buggy here and there, but still fantastic. Can't say I don't enjoi working with it.

floobie

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Canada
Quite interested to see how this turns out. I picked up Logic Studio 9 in July, and I'm pretty damn pleased with it so far. It really didn't take me very long to understand the parts of the interface that are relevant to what I do. Really, the only difficult part, at this point, is my talent (ie. playing) and knowledge (ie. effectively mixing and mastering). I managed to record the first 9 minutes of my big electronic progressive metal epic in about a month's time, having only some prior knowledge of Sonar. So, as far as I'm concerned, Logic is already pretty intuitive to begin with. The only persisting issues I've had with it are related to the Native Instruments plugins I'm using. Even with freezing a few tracks, my Macbook does struggle here and there.

I'd be pretty surprised if this ended up in the App store. If it really is just Logic itself, I can see it. But, the full install of Logic was pushing 100gb for me. I can't see many people downloading that...

I really don't mind if they take their time on this, though. I did just spend over 500 bucks on Logic Studio 9... I can wait a year or so before they release X.

Last edited:

blueingreen

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised to see something like the 'Session View' that Ableton has, given the rise in popularity of that software.

I'll continue to pray for a source-filter synthesis plug-in, but that's never going to happen :(

alarmo

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2005
Atlanta GA
I appreciate that they needed to tear down FC to rebuild it, but I'm concerned that what happened to FCX is a symptom of a larger issue. I look at LP and I see a software package that is

* simultaneously high-powered and all-purpose, with a correspondingly busy gui

* forced to be compatible with a wide range of third-party hardware (audio interfaces) and software (plugins)

* marketed to a relatively small group of sophisticated and demanding users (pros as well as prosumer home recorders)

* competing against an array of well-established high-powered and well-tested software packages, including one rival that so dominates the field that its name is synonymous with digital audio production (guess)

I would say the above points are the exact opposite of Apple's current marketing, design, and software philosophy. All but the third point are, IIRC, reasons that Jobs gave for not making a mid-range tower. Instead, they're building walled gardens and dedicated-use, tamper-proof OS/hardware combos. So, I'm not feeling too good about the future of LP.

I'm thinking about a jump to pro tools, although it's funny- I look at PT user forums, and *they're* complaining about how PT has gotten dumbed down to the garageband level.

the-ep

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
Wait, where am I again?
Yay, Logic update rumours!...was wondering when these would show up.

At least it seems Apple won't be revamping interface towards more Garageband-esque things. Though the interface isn't as easy to learn as Apple states it, it's certainly been easier for me to learn than those of Sonar and Live (the other DAWs I use).

Though I won't be surprised if it becomes App Store-exclusive, I wonder how the rest of the content will be distributed? It may be quite a lot of stuff for some users' bandwidth....

I guess we'll wait and see....

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Perhaps if Apple releases Logic Pro X they'll update Final Cut Pro X.

I hope, the fall of Final Cut Pro and Xserve is worrying me as a prosumer Apple user. PLEASE don't turn into a 100% consumer company!

----------

Yay, Logic update rumours!...was wondering when these would show up.

At least it seems Apple won't be revamping interface towards more Garageband-esque things. Though the interface isn't as easy to learn as Apple states it, it's certainly been easier for me to learn than those of Sonar and Live (the other DAWs I use).

Though I won't be surprised if it becomes App Store-exclusive, I wonder how the rest of the content will be distributed? It may be quite a lot of stuff for some users' bandwidth....

I guess we'll wait and see....

A long download is still faster than going to the store and buying it, and it doesn't waste fuel.

JoeM31

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
I can see a major UI overhaul coming, I just hope this becomes a good thing! The Logic UI is better than most DAWs, but it doesn't feel very 'Apple' and I'm sure could be streamlined, I just hope this isn't to the detriment of key features for advanced users. With the recent release of Pro Tools 9 I can see Apple releasing something new and different that keeps Logic competing with it.

Speculating on features I would hope for a much improved Flex time, and possibly a Flex pitch that resembles Melodyne? I can also see some new plug ins that are modelled on classic hardware units like Waves and UAD have done with their SSL models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.