Apple Music Connect to Be Removed From Music App Tab Bar in iOS 10

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 6, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week rumors suggested that an Apple Music overhaul is being prepared for a worldwide reveal at WWDC this June, with a launch in the fall within iOS 10. New details shared today by 9to5Mac indicate that one of the streaming music service's least-used features -- the social network-like section called Connect -- will be "demoted" in the overhaul and removed from the app's tab bar completely.

[​IMG]

Although some users have gone through the process of removing Connect already, allowing them a dedicated Playlist tab in its place, iOS 10 will see Apple moving Connect permanently from the bottom tab and into an integrated section of the "For You" page of Apple Music. Because of this, Connect "is unlikely to see notable new features this year," suggesting this section of Apple Music hasn't lived up to the company's plans laid out at WWDC last year.

Overall, the new version of Apple Music is said to focus on black and white backgrounds along with an emphasis on individual album artwork in tracklists. Other basic updates include the introduction of Apple's San Francisco font, a new "Browse" tab, lyrics support, and new 3D Touch shortcut previews. Apple Music's streaming radio network, Beats 1, is believed to remain largely the same as it is currently presented in the app.

Read More: Eight Months Later, Apple Music Connect Still 'Fails Miserably' at Social

Article Link: Apple Music Connect to Be Removed From Music App Tab Bar in iOS 10

2. penajmz, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016

penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

You can turn it off now in settings. It makes the Music app so much better.

3. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Can we get Apple music removed from iOS 10?

4. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

shocker: ping v2 didn't pan out. didn't see that coming...:rolleyes:

5. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

At the moment it's its own service. It should be an integrated service and actually be useful.

And tracks posted there should be made available through Apple Music in some capacity. It's basically useless because most of what you see is a one-time deal.

6. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

7. 0815 macrumors 68000

not a big surprise ... seems like Apple didn't learn anything from ping (or whatever that failed almost identical attempt was named). Doesn't change a thing if you do the same thing under a different name.

8. chirpie macrumors 6502a

chirpie

I was really surprised to see them even attempt this. The market was way beyond burnt out on yet another social media outlet for an artist to reach fans. "Good god, was instagram, facebook, twitter, and our website not enough for you?" :p

9. commanderclif macrumors member

commanderclif

Turned that off a long time ago, so much better to have Playlists down there now!

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

So they are removing a complete tab and just splashing it into "For You"? That sounds like unnecessary cluttering of another tab.

11. tw1ll, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016

tw1ll macrumors regular

Oooo.....black and white backgrounds, by 'eck Ive has been working overtime on that one. How much $$ has been spent on this slack app/service so far? You would expect something slicker and more integrated given Apples resources. Spotify and Sonos are excellent, have been for a while and I bet they have a fraction of the financial firepower.

12. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

I quite like Connect. A few alerts to upcoming tracks and albums, have been really useful and otherwise it's mostly harmless. It doesn't need to be more. I don't particulary want to interact with any of these people, nor do I want to see anyone else try.

13. Mjmar, May 6, 2016

Mjmar macrumors 65816

Bring back cover flow!

Edit:

This one

imgres.jpg

Not this one

iOS-7-Musik-Alben-Ubersicht.jpg

Remember when Apple had good taste?

14. zahuh macrumors regular

"Oh man! I really like the connect tab!" - Nobody

15. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

So, they're removing the feature they put seemingly very little effort into?

Good.

16. Macwick macrumors 6502

For iOS10 (and iTunes) I'd love to see them better integrate Apple Music with your purchased music library and the iTunes store.

Right now it's sooooo disjointed. I search for a song and get results from Apple Music. But I may already have that song in my purchased library. So when I click 'Add to Music' I now have two copies of that song. And which one do I add to playlists? And how do I purchase it if I don't already own it?

17. ipedro, May 6, 2016

ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

While I think it's wasting valuable space in the tab bar, I think that Connect is valuable. However, it should be integrated into artist pages and a synopsis of new posts listed in the For You section. It appears that this is the route Apple is going.

I'd like Connect to focus on artists' upcoming live performances and sharing of some of their live songs. Perhaps it could be an informal way to share songs that they're working on and haven't yet recorded. Going into an artist's page on Apple Music would feature those kinds of posts instead of sharing photos and other posts that are best left to established social media.

18. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to take a hint for once that most of their service products are failures. They need to rethink their strategy and obtain some good talent before attempting anything new. They had good success with iTunes but even that is becoming obsolete.

19. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I don't care if this has been said before. But please put the Music app as it was, with an easy choice between artists, albums, songs and whatever you'd like. The current app is only more complicated, it helps no one, really.

20. JPLC macrumors 6502

Thats a start. Now bring back the song, artist, album and playlist icons. Like it was before.

21. mw360, May 6, 2016

mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

You are very wise. The mistake they made was giving it a name. It set up expectations. We don't need a whole new trademarked social network for a few status alerts from bands.

22. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

God's no, I want my music completely separated from their social crap, and their store. If I buy it, let me DL the file and have it only in whatever player replaces the current config.

23. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

I hope they just stop with this social ******** altogether. Once and for all.

24. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Try out Cesium

25. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

If Apple wanted to connect users to new and well known artists, who would then reconnect to other budding talent, you could grow your music pools and promote the artists. I think the Music Industry doesn't want such a world.