Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSneeze67

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2016
California
While I think it's wasting valuable space in the tab bar, I think that Connect is valuable. However, it should be integrated into artist pages and a synopsis of new posts listed in the For You section. It appears that this is the route Apple is going.

I'd like Connect to focus on artists' upcoming live performances and sharing of some of their live songs. Perhaps it could be an informal way to share songs that they're working on and haven't yet recorded. Going into an artist's page on Apple Music would feature those kinds of posts instead of sharing photos and other posts that are best left to established social media.
I would love to change Connect to a LIVE tab. Designed to highlight concert music and to give you info about an artists upcoming concerts and a place to buy tickets to their show.

Reactions: Canyonero

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Bring back cover flow!

Edit:

This one

View attachment 630262

Not this one

View attachment 630263

Remember when Apple had good taste?
I can still find it on my old iPod classic. ;)
[doublepost=1462583858][/doublepost]
Try out Cesium
And Marvis. :)
[doublepost=1462584684][/doublepost]
How is it useful? Obviously you know how to switch back and forth, and the toggle to switch back and forth is one tap away. So the banner doesn't add any functionality in that sense - if anything it is entirely superfluous. So what use does the constant reminder provide?
And for users who only own local music library, this banner is more than annoying.

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
From Airplane Mode's blog:

The world of sharing music is comically fractured right now: We can post songs to SoundCloud the minute they’re ready, but we get paid nothing. We can submit songs for digital distribution and get onto Spotify and iTunes, but we have no way of engaging with our audience. We can talk to fans on Twitter, but any media we share has to be hosted someplace else. Apple is in a unique position to unify and democratize the music business. Connect could be that platform.

Sounds like a great concept for a music platform. At this point though, even if Apple redesigned Connect it would probably be too little too late. They messed up with Ping and then messed up again with Connect. Oh well

talonblade

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
This just in...Apple bought MySpace and is including it in Apple Music...Look for the new _ tab

Boulder

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
If they would have made connect a feed for the artists other major (or all of them if you click on the artists name) social media postings it would have been much better. That and building in a music sharing section with playlists and suggestions made by others (from friends, professionals, or randoms) could have dramatically improved the experience.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe if they actually would create something that's usable, people would use it. I want to use it! But it's junk right now.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, a tab which I eager to remove from the first day it exists? Cool. Now it is about to officially go away.
There are already introductions saying user need to turn on Restrictions to remove this "Connect". I have no problem, but I am happy to see its removal without using Restrictions.

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
Never used it because like SO many other things, I knew Apple would drop it. LOVE the subscription service though. Finally dumped satellite radio. Love apple radio and being have siri play nearly every song I'm in the mood for. Really quite brilliant and hands free in the car.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I wonder why they expected it to be more popular than Ping in the first place. Why would artists produce specific content for Connect that could only be viewed by Apple users instead of putting it on their website for everyone?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
How do you turn it off- I've looked in settings/ music but can't see a setting to remove?
It is located in "Restrictions", not "Music".
If you turn on restriction, you will see "Apple Music Connect" in restriction settings. Turn it off, and "Connect" is gone.

kentsydney

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2015
It is located in "Restrictions", not "Music".
If you turn on restriction, you will see "Apple Music Connect" in restriction settings. Turn it off, and "Connect" is gone.
Thanks- it's done!

Connect could be good but I've followed a few artists but nothing has happened with it. Just what is it suppose to do??

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks- it's done!

Connect could be good but I've followed a few artists but nothing has happened with it. Just what is it suppose to do??
No. I have no idea what this "Connect" is doing. Maybe I can watch a few videos released by "backstreet boys", but other than that, nothing more. (I have bought one album which artist is backstreet boys)
So I just hide it, and leave "My Music" "Playlist" and "Radio" on music app.

Last edited:

kentsydney

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2015
Here's the kind of things that absolutely pisses me off: Launched the "Books" app to listen to an audio book while on the underground. No WiFi, no mobile data. The app launches and stays on a white screen for a minute, doing _nothing_. With a dozen books stored _on my iPhone_, I can't listen to them because the bloody app decides I need internet access to do _anything_.
Yes finally someone else is as frustrated as I am with the books app. I know off topic but I've never seen this posted anywhere- I have at least 40 books and it can hang for so long sometimes

Come on Apple I love your stuff but get it together

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.