Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Sad. Connect has the potential to be a game changer. But Apple is just to rigid to allow it to mature fully.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Thats a start. Now bring back the song, artist, album and playlist icons. Like it was before.

Happy to see those go actually. Really don't need to see the outline of Bono's head every time I play something.
[doublepost=1462552395][/doublepost]
Sad. Connect has the potential to be a game changer. But Apple is just to rigid to allow it to mature fully.

Hope they keep it on individual artist pages. It makes sense to be able to post one-off content without having to "release" an album or single. More casual stuff would be great. As a feed though it did feel like overkill.

I could see them getting a lot more use out of it if Apple Music was available on the web. An artist would be able to link to content they posted on their connect, share it on twitter, facebook.

leesmith2

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
What Connect should have been all along is a way for users to share their own playlists, similar to a feature I used to use in iTunes.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Turned mine off a while ago...it's surprising how such a small change makes it feel much cleaner

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Also plllllleeeease update the Remote app so we can stream Apple Radio (and Apple Music). iTunes + AppleTV/Airport is so close to being a Sonos-like full home audio solution, but for some crazy reason you can only access your local iTunes library for streaming to multiple devices.

Or just change the color scheme on the Music app.

Reactions: Hawk999

leesmith2

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I quite like Connect. A few alerts to upcoming tracks and albums, have been really useful and otherwise it's mostly harmless. It doesn't need to be more. I don't particulary want to interact with any of these people, nor do I want to see anyone else try.
A good Twitter and/or Instagram account for Apple Music could accomplish the same thing, plus give the service a little more marketing.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
This is crazy. Ping and Connect both fail and it feels like no one is held accountable. Eddy Cue seems scatterbrained. All of his recent contributions have been sporadic and messy.

Connect should have ditched all the musician garbage and been simply a way to share and discover custom playlists posted by your contacts and friends. The way you share playlists in Apple Music sucks. It feels too much like file sharing and less like broadcasting your tune mixes to all.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
When Connect was announced, it seemed to be Ping v2 with a new skin and theme.
Apple will need to really learn from why it isn't being accepted in a larger way. Could it be not everyone has an iPhone, yet a lot of users have access to other cross platform social media services?
Why did Apple destroy cover flow? That was something so unique to the Apple platform.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Call it Pong while you're at it.

The way this COULD have worked:
– access Connect from artist page, perhaps a sidebar, always visible unless switched off
– integration with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (honestly, as a bedroom musician, I have enough social media places to post) while allowing to post exclusive content as well
– don't put it in a separate tab where nobody is going to look (especially as it's a complete mess)

Reactions: Glassed Silver

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Allleluyaaaah!!! I don't know why but that stupid tab and the inability to remove it annoys me to no end.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
i don't open my music player to see what my fav artists are doing, i open my music player to friggin' play my goddamn music.
if i want some leisure 'social' discovery time, i can browse facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube, so on.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Hmm...
image.png

Glassed Silver:ios

ourbikelane

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2016
Why don't they relabel it "Follow" and then it would be a list of what your friends have been listening to, what playlists they've made and so on. Make it ACTUALLY social (which means two-way)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i wish i could see what my friends listen to and share / maintain a playlist together more easily. i think the categories on Spotify are sorted better and updated more frequently as well.

also get rid of beats, thats just confusing. name it Apple Music Radio or something

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I don't care if this has been said before. But please put the Music app as it was, with an easy choice between artists, albums, songs and whatever you'd like. The current app is only more complicated, it helps no one, really.

Agreed. This is an issue with new operating systems in general once devices are in the mature end of the product cycle. I find both OSX and iOS get keep getting features added just for the sake of being "something new" to sell but are usually unnecessary, hardly used by end users, and make the experience more complicated. If it's not an easy simple feature that people will benefit from leave things alone.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What they need to also remove is the "Showing only music on this iPhone. Show all Music" banner at the top of the music list.

I don't need this ***** reminder every time I look at my music, I turned on the "show only music available offline" setting intentionally because I don't want random iTunes songs I got from various starbucks promos cluttering up my music list. I certainly don't need to be reminded of it all the time - at least give me a way to x-out the reminder.

music04ben.png

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Incorrect. That banner is quite helpful for those of us who switch back and forth between streaming on WiFi and using the device in situations where we don't have a connection or do not want to use data on cellular.

How is it useful? Obviously you know how to switch back and forth, and the toggle to switch back and forth is one tap away. So the banner doesn't add any functionality in that sense - if anything it is entirely superfluous. So what use does the constant reminder provide?

Reactions: Elbon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.