Apple Music Connect to Shut Down, Suffering Same Fate as iTunes Ping

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that its Apple Music Connect social platform for artists is in the process of shutting down, suffering the same fate as Ping, the company's previous social network for music removed from iTunes in October 2012.

[​IMG]

In a letter shared with artists via 9to5Mac, Apple said artists will no longer be able to post to Connect as of today, with the feature now removed from artist pages and the "For You" tab in Apple Music. Apple says all previously uploaded Connect content will remain searchable in Apple Music until May 24, 2019:
    Connect had its own tab in Apple Music when the app first launched in 2015, but its presence was later reduced to a section in the "For You" tab.

Article Link: Apple Music Connect to Shut Down, Suffering Same Fate as iTunes Ping

2. dannyyankou, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

No one wants a social network for music. No one even wants to stay in music app while they’re listening for that matter. They want to hit play, listen in the background, and do their daily tasks. That’s why both services failed, they didn’t realize that.

3. Xavier macrumors 68030

Focus on better playlist curation and add user created playlists.

4. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

In 4 years I will revisit this comment and Apple will undoubtedly have a new social music network.

See you in 2022.

5. cmaier macrumors G4

6. jml1982 macrumors newbie

jml1982

Everyone saw this coming but Apple, and even after their first attempt failed. I do hope they will make major improvements to the music app on the iPhone and the Mac because navigating between what's saved in your library and what's on Apple music is a mess, and you can end up in a loop. Now that Spotify is coming out with an Apple Watch App, I may switch back, it just has a better user experience, and I prefer their radios from certain songs and artists as well.

7. BehemothManiac macrumors newbie

The service failed because there were not enough emojis.

8. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

total truth man. And really, all I wanted out of this was the ability to get a notification when a artist I liked released a new album. Not sure if that was related to connect or not, but this is one of the examples where apple doesn't know what people want. but its whatever. Glad they experiment with stuff. Also glad they shut it down when its clearly not working

9. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I agree. The fundamental flaw here is the fact that it's a media player. Yes, we use it for music discovery but as you said, the primary function here is to stream/play music or music videos. But what amplifies this problem is the fact that there are many more effective and meaningful ways to connect with the artist you like.

10. Unity451, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018

Unity451 macrumors member

Unity451

iTunes has a social media platform? ...huh.. who knew?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2018 ---
    Some things are a little before their time.

11. Taipan macrumors 6502

They almost make it sound like it wasn’t a failure. Almost.

12. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

13. Shoju macrumors regular

Shoju

This is something I absolutely don’t understand! What’s so hard about adding a feature like the one on Spotify where you can invite others to collaborate on a playlist?! That’s basically all I need in terms of social features in a music app. And I could imagine many would agree..
    Hey Apple, why do you struggle so much with everything social..?

14. masterleep macrumors newbie

masterleep

The only thing worse than being an Apple social network is being a Google messaging service.

15. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Speaking for myself, I never cared for the "behind the scenes" of how artists make their music. If I like their content, it will tell me everything I want to know about the artist. I agree with dannyyankou that I just wanna hit play and listen, don't care for how they got started in music.

16. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Was it still around? Thought everyone deactivated it in the restrictions from day one - including the artists themselves.

17. newyorksole macrumors 68040

All the money in the world and they couldn’t see Ping or Connect being a failure. These large corporations really blow my mind

18. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

It was a terrible launch. I wanted to give it a chance but at launch there was no one on it. They really should have incentivized the heck out of MANY musicians to have content there on day one. Otherwise (as was the case) they had no chance to build the network effect that social media needs to survive. I would have liked this to succeed, unfortunately it was doomed.

19. cknibbs macrumors regular

20. johnnyrb macrumors regular

21. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Apple always fails when they promote features that are blatant attempts at raising engagement.

Next for the the chop? iMessage apps. Please.

22. Infinite Vortex macrumors member

Infinite Vortex

23. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

... As an Apple Watch app.

24. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

25. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

EDIT: oh and Animoji’s. How could I have forgotten that? (Answer: probably because I have an iPhone 7)