Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I'm sure she's devastated to hear that, in between piling money with a shovel into the G6 ;-).

She's got a model build (Not VS model, more like catwalk model), probably because she's quite tall 5 foot 10 and wear clothes quite well.

She's not the prettiest thing ever, but I she's attractive and like her style.
I'm a 6 foot tall, 48 year old mom who still plays pickup basketball every weekend, same weekend I go to formal cocktails, so I'm not exactly typical myself.

Haha...
Cool to know. I appreciate the diversity represented here! While my fiancée's looks skew toward slender Avril Lavigne kinda "sexy & svelte, slightly edgy skate punk" style w/ classic straight long blonde hair; I do find a myriad of different "looks" attractive...
For reference- my favorite looking actor & actress are probably Adrien Brody & Tilda Swinton, precisely because they have atypical looks. Attractive, but not classically so.
I guess I find Taylor Swift's looks a bit too "boilerplate". I find her very very mildly attractive, but mostly just boring in the looks department.
I don't mind her music, for the record.. for what it is. I wouldn't make a "Taylor Swift" Pandora station or anything, lol. But, I certainly have never changed the channel when I hear a tune of hers come on the radio.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
But then it becomes a 2 minute Samsung ad and you're left figuring out why you wasted your time watching the entire thing.
Maybe if they're bad at their job, lol. There are several parts that they could cut down in that video.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Apple #LostThePlot.

The problem with this ad is it’s too long and it’s not entirely funny. If Swift needs to be in an ad, then get her in one that is at least witty. That’s what’s missing. There is no punch to this ad, just a head drop onto a conveyor belt.

Plus, it shows 10 seconds of screen shots, with six screen taps just to get the music going! #OMG.

I prefer the short Apple Watch ads. Or, the Mac/iPod ads where product features front and centre.

Colors - 1999

Breakdance - 2004

Envelope - 2008

Paint - 2008

Style - 2015

Wow this forum is negative.

Sorry lad, but a 60 second advert with arguably the most popular female pop-star endorsing your product doesn't need to be funny - her name and face alone has sold the product to many.

joshen

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Very cute ad although it felt kind of amateurish since the iPhone screen emulation was a bit too blatant and what's up with the keyboard sounds when she was tapping?

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I call fake.

First of all, the music; ug, how can anybody run to that? I can swear something was actually OUT OF TUNE in that song! Second, she didn't fall; not really. Stunt girl, I could see her laying prone on the ground and said immediately "different body". It was a stunt girl with a similar but definitely different body, to my eyes.

And my eyes are pretty good at recognizing girls' bodies. ;)

So...fake!

Reactions: satcomer

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
How is she so perfect? I'm going to re sign up for Apple Music just because I think Taylor might date me if I do. Wish me luck!

The only thing that would beat that would be to have her write a song about me after the breakup! So I say go forth and own it, and I wish you luck!

But maybe start by laying down the law and saying "no Drake in my house!"

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Conclusive evidence that the pre-launch spat was all part of a publicity deal!

Cause things just can't lead to another.
[doublepost=1459586528][/doublepost]
It was DOA when Blondie did Rapture in 1980 and it went to #1, to this day some people think they invented Rap!
Rap's been pretty bad, except a few exception, for last 15 years.

I loved Blondie!

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Wow, thats a great ad and I didn't know that Swift can act that well! But it is very nice and very up to the point. Great ad

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Two examples of attractive young people demonstrating software features. In the ads you only see a short sequence of screen shots, limited gestures, played out to a witty script, unlike the new ad.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008

Sorry lad, but a 60 second advert with arguably the most popular female pop-star endorsing your product doesn't need to be funny - her name and face alone has sold the product to many.

You're right. That's the sad part.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016

You're right. That's the sad part.
You're right, it doesn't have to be funny, but it does need to be witty if it's going to be an advertisement branded with the Apple logo that can sell to a much wider audience.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006

Arguably a very different demographic from that of your typical Apple user...

I don't think personal attacks on her are justified (e.g. attacking her face or physique... seriously, she's a pop star and she's just doing the job she was paid to do. News, a pop star looks the part - who woulda thunk it?) IMO this goes in the same bag as $20,000 'gold' Apple Watches. For most of its life, Apple hasn't been about pleasing the masses (or being all bling bling) it has been its own thing.

To me it's just another lame advertisement aimed at a demographic that I have absolutely no connection with. After 40 years of using Apple gear, my view is that a lot of their recent moves have isolated more traditional fans (like me) in favour of the masses. Good on them I guess, but IMO it's a fair observation that not all people have to be happy with such moves. As a guy who bought a $4000 Mac in 1996 with pimply sales assistants saying 'that's the worst idea ever... Apple is rubbish... they're gonna go bust...' it's clear that the good/bad old days are well and truely over.

It's sad because I have many fond memories of tinkering with my Apple gear while others ridiculed me for my decision. Now they're a pop icon and I get ridiculed for 'just buying it because it's popular, but being ill-informed'. Labels mean nothing, but the later criticism couldn't be further from the truth...

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ok..... and people like this stuff ? Maybe i'm not up on the whole social network crazy-ness.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Arguably a very different demographic from that of your typical Apple user...

I don't have any hard stats, but the 'typical', iPhone buying, teenage girl which seems to be the demographic the advert targets generally has a high-crossover with Taylor Swift's main demographic. Apple's naturally hoping to tie in these groups and migrate users to Apple Music over rival services using Swift's endorsement.

MacRumours sadly doesn't represent the typical Apple user, the typical Apple-user is now people who want a thin smartphone in flashy colours with a great camera for social media, that can also stream music and youtube videos.

bdobsonca

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
This part concerns me the most.

Welcome to the modern world! Glad you finally got here. Disliking social media and the fact it's a good camera for Facebook, instragram isn't going to change anything.

Encouraging Swift by putting her in the commercial is another story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.