Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Those who complain do so because they know that ALM is generally used to undermine the conversation. There is no question that all lives matter, however in this context, not all lives are being valued, approached or addressed by the police the same way. You seem to think that BLM elevates blacks' lives above others, and that's incorrect — it's trying to elevate Black lives up to everyone else's.

That's what it is — you can either accept the spirit it is intended in, or you can choose to see it as a message that undermines those who aren't black, but that perception is one you are adopting — not the one that's being sent.

And I have not once seen or heard proof from news, family members, friends (EVEN friends of color are stating things differently BTW). I have seen more evidence that whites are killed far more than blacks by police.

And I am honestly sick and tired of the general hatred (yes hatred) of whites. My friends and family members that are on this narrative (who are mostly white BTW) say that I am a privileged white male and should just shut my mouth. Uh, that's racist and sexist BTW.

Lets just all treat each other with respect. All lives matter. All genders/sexes matter. All lifestyles matter.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
Lots of people on here do not understand the hashtag. It’s to raise awareness of the racial group that is being oppressed. Nobody is saying the other lives didn’t matter but when you use ‘All Lives Matter,‘ you are diminishing the voices of the people who are currently being attacked. Why people can’t understand this is beyond me.
Guess it just shows how selfish you are.

That is a personal attack from you to call me selfish. I did not attack you. Once you go for a personal attack, you lose the argument. The goal is to recognize that all lives matter. To just say Black Lives Matter ignores the basic fundamental understanding that All Lives Matter.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Lots of people on here do not understand the hashtag. It’s to raise awareness of the racial group that is being oppressed. Nobody is saying the other lives didn’t matter but when you use ‘All Lives Matter,‘ you are diminishing the voices of the people who are currently being attacked. Why people can’t understand this is beyond me.
Guess it just shows how selfish you are.

Maybe because if we voice ANY opinion that people don't like, we are called privileged whites. Its getting very irritating. The narrative is not making sure all lives matter, it is putting the focus on just one group and treating other groups horribly.

Even co workers and friends of color state that this is a bad thing. Yet people say they are just "white on the inside". Come on people wake up. You treat even people of color this way on a people of color narrative?

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
This forum is a microcosm of why George Floyd was murdered and others like him and will continue to be. White people are "inconvenienced" because they have to do something so hard as search for an artist and continue to bury their heads in the sand searching for any excuse of why it's OK.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Between watching the news all day every day, hearing people at work, family members and friends talk about this, I have yet to see or hear definitive proof that one group is largely being affected more than another. If this was a white person, it would just have been a headline on the local news website. I have seen statistics that do not hold up to this entire narrative.

Yes bad cops exist, but they also treat other people the same way not just the one group.
That is categorically untrue and I have several, first-hand experiences — nevermind from my family and friends — to know that's an ignorant stance to take. And it isn't just me.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
That is categorically untrue and I have several, first-hand experiences — nevermind from my family and friends — to know that's an ignorant stance to take. And it isn't just me.

Well that is what the news needs as I have not seen that specific statistic. I have others that contradict this one though.
[automerge]1591104673[/automerge]
This forum is a microcosm of why George Floyd was murdered and others like him and will continue to be. White people are "inconvenienced" because they have to do something so hard as search for an artist and continue to bury their heads in the sand searching for any excuse of why it's OK.

I fail to see how preventing paying customers using functionality results in people dying. A simple banner message or a dismissible message would have been better.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Apple Music does not have everything. I still need to buy items. Where can I find the top songs here to find my next favorite band? If I don't know what to search for, I can't search you know?
Damn, where did that goalpost go? It was right here...

It's a protest — if you don't notice, it doesn't mean anything — however, you can absolutely still stream, search, and share. If you cannot make due with that for one day then you have bigger problems to deal with than choosing today to buy an album you didn't know you wanted.

Reactions: Fuchal

walex19

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Atlanta,GA

BINGO! This is why I keep saying nothing will ever change in this country.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Not everyone likes rap music, which seems to be all they are playing the few times I popped on to listen. At least Sirius XM still respects its users enough to allow them to make their own decisions about the kind of music they listen to. Sirius is still doing their job of providing music choices instead of forcibly sermonizing their paying customers. This is just corporate virtue signaling.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Damn, where did that goalpost go? It was right here...

It's a protest — if you don't notice, it doesn't mean anything — however, you can absolutely still stream, search, and share. If you cannot make due with that for one day then you have bigger problems to deal with than choosing today to buy an album you didn't know you wanted.

I find it highly inappropriate to "protest" on a digital platform to the point where it actively prevents using said platform without a dismissible message.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Lets just all treat each other with respect. All lives matter. All genders/sexes matter. All lifestyles matter.
By all means — you first.

If someone tells you they have a problem, the answer isn't "hey, we all have problems", it's "what problem are you facing and how can we help" — I mean, you would if you respect people. But you wouldn't if you were trying to undermine the other person's issue.

Feel free to decide who you want to be.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
BINGO! This is why I keep saying nothing will ever change in this country.

Yes, only Apple can save lives. Until Apple does this narrative and forces all of their users a certain way, lives can be saved.

Really? THIS is why nothing will ever change? Are you also in favor of riots and looting stores too? Proper protesting is the way. Let customers still enter Walmart, or access Apple Music the way they want to.

This needs to be dismissible to allow customers to use it as they should be able to.
[automerge]1591105186[/automerge]
By all means — you first.

If someone tells you they have a problem, the answer isn't "hey, we all have problems", it's "what problem are you facing and how can we help" — I mean, you would if you respect people. But you wouldn't if you were trying to undermine the other person's issue.

Feel free to decide who you want to be.

When have I disrespected someone? It is perfectly reasonable to voice disappointment on a service I PAY FOR that is now preventing some of their features that I use due to this.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Well that is what the news needs as I have not seen that specific statistic. I have others that contradict this one though.
You can find any statistic to fit a narrative you may want to hold. Statistics are contextually compiled data and if you want them to show specific outcomes, then there are all sorts of skewed sources that will tailor data to meet a need.

This is an empirical fact — not opinion — and doesn't even take into account when paperwork isn't filed. You can educate yourself or be an informed member of society. The truth is ugly and uncomfortable but sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I'm not trying to start a fight, not trying to be hostile — just trying to highlight things are actually worse than many will lead you to believe as it is (again) ugly and uncomfortable, but it's also not going away.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
When have I disrespected someone? It is perfectly reasonable to voice disappointment on a service I PAY FOR that is now preventing some of their features that I use due to this.
All lives matter is disrespectful in the current context — it is devaluing what's happening all over America and in many parts of the world by making it seem that the black experience when dealing with the police is in any way analogous to other groups when it is statistically incorrect. It is disrespectful to play down someone's quantifiable issue because you are not included in the conversation, and it is disrespectful to pretend that black lives are treated on par with all lives in regards to interactions with the police. Data proves otherwise and all anyone in the BLM movement wants is equality and parity — which does not currently exist.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I’m not one for clsss action lawsuits, but I hope there is one for this stunt.

They break the functionality of “For You” and “Browse.” Which I’d argue is how most people find music.

Meaningless stunts do nothing but to show posturing.

Just to emphasize, they are doing this crap with a paid service.
Oh poor dear, call Apple and demand your 35 cents US for your suffering and pain. maybe you’re an attorney looking for business ?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I don't really want to take the time to articulate a well thought out response to this, but I think it says something about society that we can call music that is popular in the black community as "garbage" so nonchalantly.

Maybe there is a reason why Apple is putting Beats 1 on a platform today. Take some time to reflect on that instead of complaining.

I, in all honesty though "Radio" would have a variety of content, but there's none. I would not have assumed that Radio/Beats1 was geared specifically towards the black community(Today I learned). When I see the term radio, I assumed it would have been aimed for the masses, thus why I said garbage content, as it appears very limited and there's nothing in there that appeals to everyone.

However, I would like to see them expand radio into something more robust.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Time to interject with something with a bit more focus on the music platforms and how they are highlighting the Blackout Tuesday. It seems Spotify is doing it differently (better?). I have not lost any of my usual features or capabilities today when using my Premium Spotify on my laptop.

Reactions: decypher44

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
"Racism" is choosing one race over another for whatever reason.
Apple Music is now racist
So sad that entitled people get so triggered over ONE DAY of many companies expressing support for a shameful reality in society. do all the other holiday closings that are ethnicity focused Trigger also?
I am reminded of when Apple forced the U2 album on everybody and the uproar that caused.

Last edited:

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013

What do you expect people to do? Go to their local police office and demand they not be racist? That'll change their mind!

Seriously though, what does anyone hope to accomplish with this? It's literally just getting in the way of normal civilians and private companies lives. I've seen absolutely nothing in regards to politicians, besides AOC saying something and Trump/the Governors dealing with the rioters/looters. Do you think the general public is really going to vote any different? You think that after 200 years of elections being a popularity contests and voting for people based off what they say will suddenly change because people can't go out to stores and they can no longer find new music on Apple Music?

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Maybe because if we voice ANY opinion that people don't like, we are called privileged whites. Its getting very irritating. The narrative is not making sure all lives matter, it is putting the focus on just one group and treating other groups horribly.
You are right — the narrative is not making sure all lives matter, because it doesn't need to be as it goes without saying — like how we don't need to tell people that cops shouldn't shoot kids or the elderly (it goes without saying). BLM is trying highlight black that people are being treated worse and they are looking for parity, not to be raised above all others.

If you cannot see that then you are simply choosing not to.

Reactions: _mdavenport
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.