Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Nice Addition

Originally posted by jettredmont
I don't think so. The Barcelona user would need an iTMS account, which requires his own credit card, which is what determines location.

Unless, of course, that gift card purchase effectively opens a new account in iTMS. But then, users would have to be able to handle multiple iTMS accounts on a single computer, which isn't likely to happen given the current setup ...

Well, as I understand it, part of the point of this would be to allow kids (who cannot get a credit card) to be able to buy from the iTMS without needing to use a parent's CC. So, if there wasn't a way to have an iTMS account without a CC, then I think that pre-paid cards would loose a lot of their appeal.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by Freg3000
I think it was even present before iTunes 4.

Nice little fake. PhotoShop'd?

How about this:
Picture.jpg

See, iTunes supports Ogg Vorbis, too!

:rolleyes:

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Snowy_River

How about this:
Picture.jpg

Dude, why don't you actually follow his directions before you call it a fake. Do the following:

1. Control or right-click on iTunes and choose "Show Package Contents"
2. Go to Contents > Resources
3. Open "iTunes-wma.icns" in Preview.

It's not a fake, it's for real. There is a WMA icon in the iTunes app. Try it on your computer!

And just to clear things up, I checked all my old iTunes on my computer, and it has been there since iTunes 2, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it is interesting nonetheless...

...maybe on Windows Apple could release an AAC codec that allows Windows Media player to play AAC, thereby enabling AAC support in MS Movie Maker and anything else on their system! Hey, here's to hoping. :)

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by Snowy_River

How about this:
<snip>

Uhh, except the WMA icon *is* in iTunes. iTunes.app/Resources/iTunes-wma.icns

edit: beaten to the punch! :p

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by reedm007
Dude, why don't you actually follow his directions before you call it a fake. Do the following:

1. Control or right-click on iTunes and choose "Show Package Contents"
2. Go to Contents > Resources
3. Open "iTunes-wma.icns" in Preview.

It's not a fake, it's for real. There is a WMA icon in the iTunes app. Try it on your computer!

And just to clear things up, I checked all my old iTunes on my computer, and it has been there since iTunes 2, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it is interesting nonetheless...

...maybe on Windows Apple could release an AAC codec that allows Windows Media player to play AAC, thereby enabling AAC support in MS Movie Maker and anything else on their system! Hey, here's to hoping. :)

Mia culpa, mia culpa...

I'll grant that there is an icon in there, but that doesn't mean that iTunes supports WMA. From his original post I took his implication to be that this was a WMA file that he was using iTunes to play.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Gecko engine

Originally posted by Noiseboy
I seem to remember that the guy who put together the Mozilla Chimera browser moved to Apple and was instrumental in building Safari. I would have thought that pointed to a use of the Gecko engine for Windoze ITMS HTML rather that the appalling IE engine. Of course I may well be making it all up. David.....something:rolleyes:
Hyatt.

HTH
WM

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Nice Addition

Originally posted by SeaFox
That just reminded me. Didn't Universal music and NBC just merge? Or was it GE bought Universal? I haven't read too much into that deal yet. But perhaps if Universal has been bought out by an American company getting iTMS to Europe would be easier.

Then again, NBC already has partnerships with MS going...

not yet bought. they are both negociating. They have been selected as potential buyers, but so far that's all. In addition, this will only be for US activities of Universal Music and Picture (so music and movie), for the rest of the world it will remain Vivendi Universal (french company).
Vivendi Universal is only looking for buyers of its US activities in music and movie, that's all, they need cash, so one of the biggest market being US, that's the deal.
But Vivendi Universal is also the leader for satellite and cable TV, movie producer, communication.... the only problem was the previous CEO, a dummy idiotic idiot, so proud of himself that he could listen to others or imagine he could be wrong....
So then even so it will not change so much the problem with iTMS Europe...

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
iTunes 5

Originally posted by LoopHoles

i don't see any evidence that iTunes uses webcore or KHTML, for that matter. the iTMS came out before Safari 1.0, which was the first version of Safari that installed the webcore extensions into the system.

That's why it will not only be iTunes for Windows, but it will also be a new iTunes version 5, with some new features for the Mac version as for the Pc version.
so stay tune only 1 week to go

LoopHoles

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
the real enemy

the real enemy is napster. musicmatch music schmatch. napster copied the itunes store buying experience in almost every way (displaying of albums, search results, "buy track/album" buttons, blue backgrounds, etc.), it's coming out at the end of the month, and it'll have 500K tracks, lots of indies, etc. (screenshots)

my guess is next week we'll see:
- iTunes 5, probably 4.5 (6 months between 4 and 5 is short)
- iPod accessory(s)
- lots of indie-label content added

still, i don't see iTunes for Windows using webcore/KHTML. two more bits. iTMS seems to work thru a port other than 80 (97, 121?); i'm lead to think that there are actually encoded/encrypted XML files that drive the store content.

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
I haven't seen any discussion about what the GUI of iTunes for Windows will look like. Any ideas? Are they going to keep some simulation of the metal, or will they come up with a solution that fits with the Microsoft GUI?

DomArch

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
transfer from windows to mac?

I wonder if I'll be able to download music from my (unfortunately) windows machine at work and be able to transfer it to my Mac at home....?

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by Trimix
That is seriously the smartest thing they can do - now, do i buy more apple stock ???

you should have had faith and bought shares when iTunes was first mentioned.

I hope for the sake of share prices that people read through the analyst in the latest press release who says that, despite selling millions of tunes, Apple's bottom line wont change much based on 10 cents profit per song - but he throws in the consolation that sales of a few more iPods might make for better days. He is trying to talk down the impact of iTMS for windowws to make the price to drop a bit so he can get a slightly better deal before AAPL movesup up and away until Xmas and beyond on the back of the massive spin off from iTMS. It will be the most spectacular advert for Apple ever. BUY BUY BUY

usingmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
boston
Well That was Fast

Isn't anyone surprised how fast this application was built? I am. I would love to hear the technical details of how they got this app out so fast. (and I am sure Microsoft would too)

Either the Apple devs did a kick butt job, or the new version is going to be missing some features at the start.

I hope it is not a beta version......like napster.

kwtneo

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2003
Re: Re: Another Nice Addition

Originally posted by Iceman06
A 'pre-paid' card would be awesome. Just sell them anywhere that you can buy Apple stuff. That way it would allow people who don't want to use a Credit Card of those who are too young, etc.., to have there own Credit Card to buy music. I will not be able to buy music from the story because i'm only 15 and my parents won't use there Credit Card for 'security' reasons. But i'm not buying there excuse because they have bought things offline before and my mom uses eBay all the time. So the 'pre-paid' cards would be a really good thing. And it could possibly help Apple because let's say they sell the cards so that you can buy 10, 25, 50, 100, and so on amount of songs. And lets say I was to buy the 25 Song card. Well I get on to the iTMS and I only find a few songs. Well naturally I would come back to buy the rest of the songs on the card. It would help keep those people who aren't into the whole 'music' thing that only like a few songs here and there and it could keep them coming to the store so that they get the rest of there songs and they might come across some songs that they won't which would lead to more sells whereas if they would have used a Credit Card they would have just bought the songs they liked and never thought about the store again. I'm not sure if this all makes sense but if you think about it, it does.

it makes sense to me :)
i totally agree

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Re: Well That was Fast

Fast?
you know then, when Apple started development of iTunes for Windows?

I pretty sure its been in development for a while now, before april - the iTMS launch.

There was that Ad about Apple hiring a project manager for iTunes.. but development could have been well under way. That Advert doesn't mean much. The existing PM could have left and Apple were looking for a replacement.

Originally posted by usingmac
Isn't anyone surprised how fast this application was built? I am. I would love to hear the technical details of how they got this app out so fast. (and I am sure Microsoft would too)

Either the Apple devs did a kick butt job, or the new version is going to be missing some features at the start.

I hope it is not a beta version......like napster.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I have a question will the itms for windows also include itunes, or will it just be the music store? Itunes total would be much smarter I hope they do that

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Originally posted by kuyu
Of all my friends, I'm the only one who uses/owns a mac. Honestly, my peecee buddies can't wait for iTunes windows. They've all seen or used iTunes on my machine and complain that there's nothing that complete for windows. If iTunes works as seemlessly on peecees as it does on a mac, the music store is a shoe in. Also, no one else offers aac on the peecee, so that will be a major drawing point. Hopefully this will give apple the catapult they need in a market dominated by two bit companies.

Heh heh. He said PeeCees.

Mac Rumor users: Get over rubbing each other’s erogenous zones. You have the “worlds fastest Personal Computer” why must you persist in your childish name-calling?

Izzy

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2002
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Originally posted by Stella
Whats Canada?

We seem to be an after-thought to Apple. Apple products are more expensive here even when taking the exchange rate into account. I would think that Apple would do well to debut products here as after all Canadians like to "Think Different".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.