Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider notes that "reliable sources" are reporting that Apple will be hosting a Music media event next week on Thursday, October 16th at 10am PDT.

Media invitations reportedly read "The year's biggest music story is about to get even bigger". (scan of invite available at AppleInsider)

2003-10-16.jpg
Update: CNet and MacCentral confirm the invitations which were sent to journalists. Apple's event is also listed under "Apple West Event" at the Moscone Center Event Calender.

A mid-October release for the iTunes for Windows has been rumored for some time now, with previous reports pointing to October 15th.

Meanwhile, a Wall Street Journal column also hinted at iTunes for Windows next week.

Page 2 offers some unconfirmed possibilities for next week's updates.

Article Link: Apple Music Media Event - October 16th? [Updated]

granex

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
now's the time

It's not too late. Apple has actually been getting continuous pub from the stream of copycat announcements. While it might have been good for them to have completely captured this market before others jumped in, the timing of the release should not be too bad at all.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Wonder how this plays into the Napster release onthe 29th? Looks like Apple wants to get as much hype before Napster comes out.

I just took a look at Napster and you'll need windows 2000/XP and MS Media player for it to work.

Let the fight begin!

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Originally posted by bertagert
Let the fight begin!

My gloves are already off... So the 16th it is. I agree with GrannySmith_G5 too - I think there'll be an ipod accessory or two with it, just to sweeten the deal.

kmac51

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2003
WallStreet Journal says next week

A very large article talks about the release being next week, from sources close to the action.

Kmac

:D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The story also says that Apple may offer incentives (free songs) to those just signing up.

arn

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
that would be great if apple can pull it off. If apple cannot make the windows version happen before napster and dell get started, i do not think there will be much marketshare left once apple enters. Apple would have to force themselves into an already packed market rather than entering one with only a couple of services that cannot compete equally.

SonyGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Los Angeles
Now the question is, will I be able to access my iTMS downloads on my Mac on my windows machine?

That would rock. Pun intended.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
It's the real deal for Windows users. Napster is not compatible with the iPod. Also, the new iPod tv ads will probably change slightly after the announcement with a tag for iTunes for Windows. I wonder if Apple may also drop the prices on the iPods or perhaps a new 5 gig at $199?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by dho
Could they be anouncing ITMS windows and europe at the same time?

No.

All signs point to iTunes Europe in 2004.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
that would be great if apple can pull it off. If apple cannot make the windows version happen before napster and dell get started, i do not think there will be much marketshare left once apple enters. Apple would have to force themselves into an already packed market rather than entering one with only a couple of services that cannot compete equally.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
this is it

Damn yo! This is definitely it (iTunes Music Store for Windows). My two biggest concerns are solidity of the windows version of iTunes and the DRM of the windows version being different. I am less concerned about the DRM though. I don't think Apple would ever release a Windows version with different DRM unless it was something virtually unnoticeable like 5 consecutive burns of a playlist allowed instead of 10.
max

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
Of all my friends, I'm the only one who uses/owns a mac. Honestly, my peecee buddies can't wait for iTunes windows. They've all seen or used iTunes on my machine and complain that there's nothing that complete for windows. If iTunes works as seemlessly on peecees as it does on a mac, the music store is a shoe in. Also, no one else offers aac on the peecee, so that will be a major drawing point. Hopefully this will give apple the catapult they need in a market dominated by two bit companies.

kansast

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
i said it before

I said it before.. but I hope this iTunes for Windoze. .and I hope it's a big hit. I just hope that if it is a big hit, Apple can keep up with the bandwidht demands. that would suck if it were to crap out after an anouncement like that

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Here's my question: Will Apple, along with iTMS for Windows, also introduce a new, updated version of the store?

That would be a master stroke, IMHO. All the services coming on-line now seem to be knock-offs of the current iTMS; if Apple could roll in some cool new features that no one else has, that'd give them a compelling advantage for this holiday season at least.

I have not read one word of speculation whether iTMS for Windows will just be a duplication of the Mac version, or whether it'll come along with an updated store. [obviously assume that new features would be available from the Mac as well.]

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
One thing I would *really* like to see added to the store is a "buy later" list... I know there is a shopping cart... but there's a whole bunch of music I want to buy but I don't want to spend a ton of money all at once... it'd be nice to have a place to store tunes that I'd like to someday buy... and it'd probably benefit Apple since I'd purchase more music... sometimes I go back to the store and can't remember what I wanted to buy so I just leave... I've requested the feature... hopefully someday...

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Re: now's the time

Originally posted by granex
It's not too late. Apple has actually been getting continuous pub from the stream of copycat announcements. While it might have been good for them to have completely captured this market before others jumped in, the timing of the release should not be too bad at all.

I could not agree more.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Re: i said it before

Originally posted by kansast
I said it before.. but I hope this iTunes for Windoze. .and I hope it's a big hit. I just hope that if it is a big hit, Apple can keep up with the bandwidht demands. that would suck if it were to crap out after an anouncement like that

With as much bandwidth as apple has i doubt that would be a problem. I can dowload any song from itms in less than 1 sec and i am sure they have anticipated that problem.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Originally posted by DillHarris
C'mon, c'mon.... This has gotta be it! I can't wait! PeeCee users will finally taste a slice of the Apple pie!
THey hace actually been eating a crappy quicktime player for a long time. Lets hope iTunes tastes better!

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
Originally posted by arn
The story also says that Apple may offer incentives (free songs) to those just signing up.

arn

That is seriously the smartest thing they can do - now, do i buy more apple stock ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.