Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music can now be streamed on Amazon Echo speakers via Alexa in the United States, a few days ahead of schedule.

alexa_apple_music_1.jpg

As spotted by 9to5Mac, it is now possible to link Apple Music with your Amazon account in the Alexa app for iPhone and use Alexa voice commands to control playback of songs, playlists, and Beats 1 on Apple Music on Amazon Echo speakers.

To access this feature, simply use a voice command such as "Alexa, play music by Ed Sheeran on Apple Music" or "Alexa, play today's hits on Apple Music." Apple Music can also be set as the default music service in the Alexa app, so that "Apple Music" does not need to be specified each time.

alexa_apple_music_2.jpg

Other streaming music services supported on Echo speakers include Spotify, Deezer, Vevo, SiriusXM, Tidal, and Pandora.

Apple and Amazon announced this new partnership in late November, with Amazon saying it is "committed to offering great music providers to our customers," and referring to Apple Music as "one of the most popular music services."

Apple Music playback on Amazon Echo speakers is currently limited to the United States.

Article Link: Apple Music Now Playable on Amazon Echo Speakers via Alexa in United States

rdale

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011

Apple Music can now be streamed on Amazon Echo speakers via Alexa in the United States, a few days ahead of schedule.

alexa_apple_music_1.jpg

As spotted by 9to5Mac, it is now possible to link Apple Music with your Amazon account in the Alexa app for iPhone and use Alexa voice commands to control playback of songs, playlists, and Beats 1 on Apple Music on Amazon Echo speakers.

To access this feature, simply use a voice command such as "Alexa, play music by Ed Sheeran on Apple Music" or "Alexa, play today's hits on Apple Music." Apple Music can also be set as the default music service in the Alexa app, so that "Apple Music" does not need to be specified each time.

alexa_apple_music_2.jpg

Other streaming music services supported on Echo speakers include Spotify, Deezer, Vevo, SiriusXM, Tidal, and Pandora.

Apple and Amazon announced this new partnership in late November, with Amazon saying it is "committed to offering great music providers to our customers," and referring to Apple Music as "one of the most popular music services."

Apple Music playback on Amazon Echo speakers is currently limited to the United States.

Article Link: Apple Music Now Playable on Amazon Echo Speakers via Alexa in United States
[doublepost=1544812640][/doublepost]I'm able to set it up in the app and my Echo says she is doing it but then she says she can't do that right now.

fribhey

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2005
Apple Music only.

edit: Anything available to stream on Apple Music. So a music match song could be available on the service.
but that's the thing, music match is basically a streaming service. all of my music was uploaded/matched to iTunes and I can stream it from any of my devices.

Reactions: shadowbird423

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Wow! Just Wow!

This is equivalent to the iTunes app being offered to Windows platforms.
This is the first instance, under Cook's regime, where Apple hardware gets unbound from a major, Apple service.

[This also may portend the unbundling of the Apple TV hardware from the future Apple Movie/Channel Service.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Flojomojo

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Can anybody in the US with access to this confirm if this now enables Alexa to control Apple Music on Sonos speakers? Or is it Echo-exclusive?

Unfortunately no. Echo will tell you that "Apple Music is not supported on this device". Of course it IS supported, but Alexa->Sonos can't support it!!!!! Very Annoying. Really hoping Sonos and Amazon sort this out soon.

Reactions: mxmgodin

kgkuntryluvr

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Can anyone confirm how many Echo devices can simultaneously stream Apple Music? Amazon Music Unlimited only lets me stream from one device at a time, which is pretty lame when my kids are listening in their room and I want to listen elsewhere.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Can anyone confirm how many Echo devices can simultaneously stream Apple Music? Amazon Music Unlimited only lets me stream from one device at a time, which is pretty lame when my kids are listening in their room and I want to listen elsewhere.
If you have both subs, you can prob say something like: "Alexa, shuffle songs by Michael Jackson on Amazon Muisc" while your kids are listening to Music.

Lemme go check if this works. brb.

Confirmed: you can stream Music on one Echo, and stream Amazon Music on another Echo.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.