Apple Music Now Playable on Amazon Echo Speakers via Alexa in United States

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Music can now be streamed on Amazon Echo speakers via Alexa in the United States, a few days ahead of schedule.

[​IMG]

As spotted by 9to5Mac, it is now possible to link Apple Music with your Amazon account in the Alexa app for iPhone and use Alexa voice commands to control playback of songs, playlists, and Beats 1 on Apple Music on Amazon Echo speakers.

To access this feature, simply use a voice command such as "Alexa, play music by Ed Sheeran on Apple Music" or "Alexa, play today's hits on Apple Music." Apple Music can also be set as the default music service in the Alexa app, so that "Apple Music" does not need to be specified each time.

[​IMG]

Other streaming music services supported on Echo speakers include Spotify, Deezer, Vevo, SiriusXM, Tidal, and Pandora.

Apple and Amazon announced this new partnership in late November, with Amazon saying it is "committed to offering great music providers to our customers," and referring to Apple Music as "one of the most popular music services."

Apple Music playback on Amazon Echo speakers is currently limited to the United States.

Article Link: Apple Music Now Playable on Amazon Echo Speakers via Alexa in United States

2. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

3. mxmgodin macrumors member

mxmgodin

Can anybody in the US with access to this confirm if this now enables Alexa to control Apple Music on Sonos speakers? Or is it Echo-exclusive?

4. fribhey macrumors member

does this work with Music Match or only with an Apple Music subscription?

5. AngerDanger, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

6. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Only Apple Music. As with other Alexa skills you have to link it to your account.

7. dtrj787 macrumors regular

dtrj787

Apple Music only.

edit: Anything available to stream on Apple Music. So a music match song could be available on the service.

8. rdale macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2018 ---
    I'm able to set it up in the app and my Echo says she is doing it but then she says she can't do that right now.

9. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Can confirm this works, also that hell has frozen over and swine are sprouting feathers.

10. scr1968 macrumors regular

11. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I have to say, I'm quite excited about this. We have a house full of Dots and love the multi-room music. But the Pandora free account was very limiting. This will make the devices much better, even though they are already very useful.

12. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Echo exclusive. For now.

13. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Soooo waiting to hear on this as well.
    Let's hope.

14. fribhey macrumors member

but that's the thing, music match is basically a streaming service. all of my music was uploaded/matched to iTunes and I can stream it from any of my devices.

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Hmmm... it's all set up but Echo keeps playing Amazon music, regardless if Music is set to default.

16. kgkuntryluvr macrumors regular

Right? I no longer see a reason for an Amazon Unlimited sub with this move. It may be cheaper, but Apple Music is well worth the cost difference (especially if you have an iPhone). Maybe this was a behind-the-scenes trade for allowing Prime Video on Apple TV.

17. loopy123 macrumors newbie

If the HomePod played in the budget/low-end smart speaker market, maybe. But it doesn't.

It is positioned in the high end audio smart speaker market - which by all reports it either dominates or has taken a very significant chunk.
    I think this is more likely to affect Spotify than anything else.

18. TheShadowKnows!, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

TheShadowKnows! Suspended

TheShadowKnows!

Wow! Just Wow!

This is equivalent to the iTunes app being offered to Windows platforms.
    This is the first instance, under Cook's regime, where Apple hardware gets unbound from a major, Apple service.

[This also may portend the unbundling of the Apple TV hardware from the future Apple Movie/Channel Service.]

19. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Unfortunately no. Echo will tell you that "Apple Music is not supported on this device". Of course it IS supported, but Alexa->Sonos can't support it!!!!! Very Annoying. Really hoping Sonos and Amazon sort this out soon.

20. kgkuntryluvr macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm how many Echo devices can simultaneously stream Apple Music? Amazon Music Unlimited only lets me stream from one device at a time, which is pretty lame when my kids are listening in their room and I want to listen elsewhere.

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If you have both subs, you can prob say something like: "Alexa, shuffle songs by Michael Jackson on Amazon Muisc" while your kids are listening to Music.

Lemme go check if this works. brb.

Confirmed: you can stream Music on one Echo, and stream Amazon Music on another Echo.

22. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Where my funny gif at

23. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

24. Peepo macrumors 6502a

25. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius