Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Unfortunately no. Echo will tell you that "Apple Music is not supported on this device". Of course it IS supported, but Alexa->Sonos can't support it!!!!! Very Annoying. Really hoping Sonos and Amazon sort this out soon.
From my limited convo with Sonos Support, they wouldn't confirm "It's Coming" but indicated to "Stay Tuned" so it might be available in the near future I am hoping.

Reactions: mxmgodin

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
If the HomePod played in the budget/low-end smart speaker market, maybe. But it doesn't.

It is positioned in the high end audio smart speaker market - which by all reports it either dominates or has taken a very significant chunk.
I think this is more likely to affect Spotify than anything else.
Sonos completely dominates that market. HomePod sales aren’t even close.

Reactions: KrisLord

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I'm at work so I haven't been able to test this, but it appears that you need to use "On Apple Music" to command Alexa.

This is from the support site:
Ask Alexa to play your music
You can ask Alexa to play songs, artists, albums, or genres from Apple Music. You can also play Beats 1 radio, playlists from Apple Music's editors, or playlists in your iCloud Music Library. Say something like “Alexa, play Pure Pop on Apple Music,” or "Alexa, play Bebe Rexha on Apple Music."

If anyone has tried this out, I'd love to know if I can just say "Play my Metal Playlist" or if I have to add "on Apple Music."

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Unfortunately no. Echo will tell you that "Apple Music is not supported on this device". Of course it IS supported, but Alexa->Sonos can't support it!!!!! Very Annoying. Really hoping Sonos and Amazon sort this out soon.
How annoying! My free Echo Dot doesn’t arrive until January and I was so excited about this. Hopefully they’ll fix it soon.

mamaway

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
I know there's not a fat chance in frozen hell, but it would be really nice to get Google Music on the Echo just so I could have one subscription for music and youtube. Or google should just let you ditch youtube ads for $5/mo., then I'd probably just sign up for Apple Music, since that randomly comes on 4th or 5th time I get in my car.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I'm at work so I haven't been able to test this, but it appears that you need to use "On Apple Music" to command Alexa.

This is from the support site:
Ask Alexa to play your music
You can ask Alexa to play songs, artists, albums, or genres from Apple Music. You can also play Beats 1 radio, playlists from Apple Music's editors, or playlists in your iCloud Music Library. Say something like “Alexa, play Pure Pop on Apple Music,” or "Alexa, play Bebe Rexha on Apple Music."

If anyone has tried this out, I'd love to know if I can just say "Play my Metal Playlist" or if I have to add "on Apple Music."
No. You can set Apple Music as your default and don't have to specify.

eroyce

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota (brrrr)
Can anyone confirm if you have an Apple Music family account, if you are able to play multiple streams on different echos at the same time? For instance, the kids have echos in their room, and parents have one in the kitchen. Can we all listen to different Apple Music streams at the same time? Amazon Unlimited Family allows up to 6 simultaneous streams.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
It def works not well tho.. and no airplay yet. It works the best with my Pandora unlimited and amazon music subscription.. No airplay yet with Apple Music but Alexa def plays from Apple Music now.. not well tho...
[doublepost=1544816246][/doublepost]Now to decide whether i get HomePod alongside my Alexa speakers and Sonos Beam for TV.. decisions....

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This isn’t a bad home filler for places where sound quality isn’t important. I’d get a few Echos to put in the bathroom and kitchen while HomePods are in the living room and bedrooms.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Can anyone confirm if you have an Apple Music family account, if you are able to play multiple streams on different echos at the same time? For instance, the kids have echos in their room, and parents have one in the kitchen. Can we all listen to different Apple Music streams at the same time? Amazon Unlimited Family allows up to 6 simultaneous streams.
I just plaved two things (from separate Echos) and of course they are from the same (family shared) account, since only one named account is linked to the Alexa account.

So, cool!

Reactions: Flojomojo

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
So just as Google pay lots of $$$'s to Apple to be the search engine, presumably Apple are paying Amazon for this? It's not like Amazon needed Apple music in order to sell more units and indeed it's addition is against their own interests with thier service.

cbird007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
Apple Music subscriptions increase.
Amazon Music subscriptions decrease.
Echo sales increase.
HomePod, no change.

Everyone's a winner.

Reactions: apolloa

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
My wife has the Echo Plus and I have the HomePod. She's jealous of mine for two reasons:
1. The HomePod plays Apple Music
2. The HomePod sounds much better

This at least addresses one of the reasons. Perhaps now she'll stop moving my HomePod to listen to her music.

Reactions: OTACORB

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Sonos completely dominates that market. HomePod sales aren’t even close.
Sonos has a decade lead on HomePod so that makes sense but Spotify also had a giant lead on Apple Music but not anymore. I think Sonos will die or more likely be acquired by a big tech company in a few years.

displayblock

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2014
Remember when Apple discontinued the iPhone when they ported Amazon Music to Android? How about when Apple killed the Mac after releasing iTunes for Windows?

The iPhone does much more than play music. The Mac runs many more apps than just iTunes.

Besides voice-controlled Apple Music playback, what good is a HomePod for? And is that additional functionality worth $350 to enough people? Given the aggressive holiday discounts from multiple retailers, I doubt it. Future HomePod sales performance will be more telling.

Without Apple Music exclusivity, I don’t think Siri can keep up with Alexa in the smart speaker market.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Sonos has a decade lead on HomePod so that makes sense but Spotify also had a giant lead on Apple Music but not anymore. I think Sonos will die or more likely be acquired by a big tech company in a few years.
Sonos is just too successful. Maybe in a decade things might change for the near future they’re not going anywhere. The HomePod could turn out to be such a flop Apple end up quitting the market

fortuneteller33

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I just linked Apple Music through the Alexa app (Settings, Music, Link New Service) to play through my speaker group and both times I tried it the music started, then stopped and Alexa said there was a problem. Seems a bit buggy at launch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.