Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Outside of the very top handful of artists, Apple Music is a distant number two priority compared to Spotify for fan discovery of new music. If you are a new artist/band or most existing with new releases, and want to see the best possible growth, spend more of your time on Spotify and getting into user playlists.
And Spotify is a distant number two behind the internet and all that entails (including YouTube, Reddit, social media, etc.) Anyone REALLY looking to grow their fan base aren’t just uploading their music to music services then hoping to get added to playlists. They’re interacting on Instagram, posting vids to TikTok, and engaging with their fans in a way that make their fans want to share their content on platforms FAR wider reaching than Spotify. And, as a bonus, that improves their visibility across ALL music services.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I can tell you one thing the EMAILS haven't stopped since my apple TV free trail ended.

Yep - that and all the little corners of iOS where they've found ways to f'in annoy you about Apple Card, Apple Music, Software Updates

It's "nag ware" and it's incensing to me that Apple has nuked their customers experiences in pursuit of their services push.

It's just ... gross.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Hmm, I bought an 9th gen iPad back in Nov. I should see if it also includes a 3-month Apple Music trial (in addition to the 3 months of Apple Arcade and Apple TV+)

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Yep - that and all the little corners of iOS where they've found ways to f'in annoy you about Apple Card, Apple Music, Software Updates

It's "nag ware" and it's incensing to me that Apple has nuked their customers experiences in pursuit of their services push.

It's just ... gross.

You mean gro$$?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Subscriptions were embedded in “how we do business” long before subscription music (water, electricity, cable, movies) so the idea of paying regularly for a thing the purchaser finds valuable will always be a thing.
Yes, but the scope of the things we subscribe to has ballooned exponentially. If you took a time machine back to the nineties and told people that they would all be paying monthly subscriptions to rent movies, play video games and listen to music to music, they would all have literally laughed until they were blue in the face. "Why would I want to do that?" they'd say, "when I can go to the video store and pick what I want when I want, or go to the record store and do the same? That's crazy!"

It's just gotten out of control imo. And it's not going to stop.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Yes, but the scope of the things we subscribe to has ballooned exponentially. If you took a time machine back to the nineties and told people that they would all be paying monthly subscriptions to rent movies, play video games and listen to music to music, they would all have literally laughed until they were blue in the face. "Why would I want to do that?" they'd say, "when I can go to the video store and pick what I want when I want, or go to the record store and do the same? That's crazy!"
Even further back, if you told my Grandfather that the person that eventually bought his house would be paying a monthly subscriptions for water, he’d likely have exclaimed, “Why would they do that? There’s a perfectly fine well with a perfectly good pump!” :)

Subscriptions are offered and some folks will always take advantage of them if they see value. A lot of folks never will. If it ever becomes Apple Music ONLY, no purchase available, that’s when I’d be thinking it’s gone too far.

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
Even further back, if you told my Grandfather that the person that eventually bought his house would be paying a monthly subscriptions for water, he’d likely have exclaimed, “Why would they do that? There’s a perfectly fine well with a perfectly good pump!” :)

Subscriptions are offered and some folks will always take advantage of them if they see value. A lot of folks never will. If it ever becomes Apple Music ONLY, no purchase available, that’s when I’d be thinking it’s gone too far.
Comparing the advent of indoor plumbing or electricity to Netflix is a bit of a stretch my friend lol.

Last edited:

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
Multiple accounts, each month create a new ‘appleMSK_01/02/03/04’
Add disposable card number, cancel and create new account.

4 times / year in the past, now 12 times. Haha

Or just pay the 5 euros.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
It’s just stupid to rent everything aside from house and a select few stuff.
Of all the things that you shouldn't rent, a house is head and shoulders clear at the top of the list.

Given that second hand CDs are worthless, there's precious little advantage in buying a few over renting everything ever released for less than the price of a new CD every week.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Of all the things that you shouldn't rent, a house is head and shoulders clear at the top of the list.

Given that second hand CDs are worthless, there's precious little advantage in buying a few over renting everything ever released for less than the price of a new CD every week.
Ok whatever you think about renting houses.

As for CD, while it is true nobody buying the CD owns anything but the physical media, the inevitable danger of contents being pulled is just too big for me to rent any music outside of discovery. I don’t get to deal with weird playlist/album/sync issue that Apple Music has been since day 1 of its release and I don’t need to worry about data cause everything is there for access all the time.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Comparing the advent of indoor plumbing or electricity to Netflix is a bit of a stretch my friend lol.
No, you don’t understand, he HAD indoor plumbing. They’d pump the water to a cistern and he used it from there. Everything inside the house was plumbed. The only change was to have the pipes connected to the mains, which is the subscription came in. Some folks wouldn’t want to maintain the pump, some folks would, just to avoid the water subscription.

Reactions: Thebrochure

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021

The advantages of buying used CDs are as follows: they have better sound quality (yes, even hifi isn't going to sound as good due to the equipment, DACs etc. involved); you only have to buy what you like, which will be cheaper in the long run (again, since you only buy what you like, you only pay for what you like, and most people do not like enough music to add up to $120.00 worth of used CDs from the Goodwill each year); you have a perfect digital copy of the album in question that, if you take care of it, will be there for the rest of your life; you don't have to rely on the internet or service provider to provide you with the music; you don't have to worry about the record being remastered, changed, or removed without your consent; you can do anything you want with it (rip it to an HDD, make mixed-tapes with CDRs, play it on a CD player, or stream it yourself with your own home server etc.); you get actual artwork and an actual physical book with notes, images and lyrics; and speaking of physical... you actually have something... and not just a little name behind a sheet of glass to tap on.

There are more, but I think I made my point. Physical media for most people is still the wiser choice. The only time where streaming makes sense is with the super young who consume it 24/7. But even then, they're missing out because, thanks to the all-you-can-eat fest that is streaming, they've devalued music completely. They'll never enjoy a record like the generations before them did--and that's a real shame.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
And Spotify is a distant number two behind the internet and all that entails (including YouTube, Reddit, social media, etc.) Anyone REALLY looking to grow their fan base aren’t just uploading their music to music services then hoping to get added to playlists. They’re interacting on Instagram, posting vids to TikTok, and engaging with their fans in a way that make their fans want to share their content on platforms FAR wider reaching than Spotify. And, as a bonus, that improves their visibility across ALL music services.
Those are all basically freebies, much harder to track/monetize.

Sure, the internet is great for promotion, but if you want plays to equal pay, get into Spotify playlists any way you can, as fast as you can. The payoffs in word of mouth advertising are currently the greatest there, and it seems to organically translate/scale across to Apple Music.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
The advantages of buying used CDs are as follows: they have better sound quality
That's debatable and certainly not a given. The number of people who sit at home in front of a properly set up Hi-Fi system to listen to their music is a vanishingly small percentage of all people listening to music. In any case, few adults have the auditory capability to differentiate between any such differences.
even hifi isn't going to sound as good due to the equipment, DACs etc. involved)
There's no reason why not. The same equipment can be used to either play streamed music or CDs. In both cases it's the same digital source, except that one is read off a CD and one is downloaded. Both require DACs before conversion to an audio signal.
you only have to buy what you like
You only have to listen to what you like. Your listening choice is not limited by your purchases and you're not stuck with naff CDs that you thought you'd like but didn't or a vast collection of purchases you no longer listen to.
you only pay for what you like
With streaming, you only pay for what you like (and you get everything else ever recorded (almost) for free).
you have a perfect digital copy of the album in question that, if you take care of it, will be there for the rest of your life;
Ditto streaming services with the benefit that you don't have to "take care" of your purchases.
you don't have to rely on the internet or service provider to provide you with the music;
True to a limited extent, however, I listen to a large percentage of my music in a workshop which has no internet connection. The streamed music that I like/listen to most is downloaded locally both to my iPhone and to my Mac.
you don't have to worry about the record being remastered, changed, or removed without your consent;
True in theory. In practise, I'm unaware of it ever happening to any music that I've ever streamed.
you get actual artwork and an actual physical book with notes, images and lyrics;
This was a thing in the days of 12" LPs. It's never really been a thing with CDs (but I do acknowledge that there are notable exceptions).
you can do anything you want with it (rip it to an HDD, make mixed-tapes with CDRs, play it on a CD player, or stream it yourself with your own home server etc.)
Tapes? Seriously?
The only time where streaming makes sense is with the super young who consume it 24/7.
"super young" - from where I'm standing that's almost everybody.
But even then, they're missing out because, thanks to the all-you-can-eat fest that is streaming, they've devalued music completely. They'll never enjoy a record like the generations before them did--and that's a real shame.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I'm in the market for a new car. I'm noticing very few of them have CD players anymore. Oh well. I'll rip the music from CDs into MP3s and transfer them onto my iPod Classic. It's kind of a hassle to switch between CDs anyways.

It won't be a priority, but if the new car still comes with a CD player, all the better. However, this won't last long as we appear to be on the tail end of them getting phased out.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
I'm in the market for a new car. I'm noticing very few of them have CD players anymore.
Even fewer have cassette or cartridge players. Don't even think about getting one that plays LPs.

It's almost as if the day of the mechanical music player with moving parts has been consigned to history.

Thebrochure

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2021
That's debatable and certainly not a given. The number of people who sit at home in front of a properly set up Hi-Fi system to listen to their music is a vanishingly small percentage of all people listening to music. In any case, few adults have the auditory capability to differentiate between any such differences.
Right, but with CDs, at least the option is there.

There's no reason why not. The same equipment can be used to either play streamed music or CDs. In both cases it's the same digital source, except that one is read off a CD and one is downloaded. Both require DACs before conversion to an audio signal.
The reason why is your phone. The DAC in your phone is not the DAC in a high-end receiver. So unless you can find a way to stream your Apple Music or Spotify or whatever from some other device that is up to that quality, you're kind of stuck.

Also, even WAV isn't 100%.
With streaming, you only pay for what you like (and you get everything else ever recorded (almost) for free).
No, you're paying for all the music on the service, not just what you like. If you were only paying for what you like, you'd be paying a lot less per month.

Ditto streaming services with the benefit that you don't have to "take care" of your purchases.
No. You only have access until they take that access away. What makes you think any of the current services are going to be there in forty, fifty or sixty years? That's a bit presumptive. But physical media, on the other hand, if taken care of it, it will be there until you're gone.

This was a thing in the days of 12" LPs. It's never really been a thing with CDs (but I do acknowledge that there are notable exceptions).
What? It was quite the thing. Everything was in the CD booklet, and back when they were the thing, people use to take them out while listening and read along with the lyrics, study the art etc. Sometimes, there was even more art in the CD booklets than there was in the LP.

Tapes? Seriously.
It's just called a mixed-tape. Any collection you make on piece of physical media is called that.

Last edited:
Reactions: leeds utd fc

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
On mobile phone use - you will get limited music bandwidth streaming - it won't be hi-fi. True hi-fi would best be streamed from services like Tidal over home wi-fi.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
The reason why is your phone. The DAC in your phone is not the DAC in a high-end receiver. So unless you can find a way to stream your Apple Music or Spotify or whatever from some other device that is up to that quality, you're kind of stuck.

Also, even WAV isn't 100%.
Comparing the sound quality of CDs vs streaming is meaningless unless you're playing them through the same system. Obviously an iPhone won't deliver the same quality of sound as a high-end receiver but equally no one plays their CDs through an iPhone.

As it happens, my iMac is connected via an AudioQuest DragonFly DAC to a NAD amplifier and Wharfedale speakers. Slight overkill for a desktop for sure but there you go. I honestly could not tell the difference between a CD played either in the iMac (the old one, the current one doesn't take CDs) or the NAD CD player nor the same music ripped to the external hard drive. Nor could I confidently tell streamed music apart from CD music (and I have tried). I suspect I could on a small number of selected tracks but I wouldn't put money on it.

I'm confident that the only way to tell any of them apart is to play selected tracks to a relatively young person who is routinely used to paying attention specifically to sound quality.

What makes you think any of the current services are going to be there in forty, fifty or sixty years?

I'm sixty myself. I don't that that's going to be a problem for me! ?

Reactions: Thebrochure

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Even fewer have cassette or cartridge players. Don't even think about getting one that plays LPs.

It's almost as if the day of the mechanical music player with moving parts has been consigned to history.
Everybody's use case differs, so I won't disparage that. And these things do happen with cars (even if you were to disregard the tech electronics portion of them)

For my case, I had a few cassettes that I've only played enough times to count with one hand when I had a vehicle from 2005. I wasn't really upset to see that go. This would be the equivalent of many Android phones doing away with micro SD card slots, but 128 GB became the standard, so that's much less of an issues.

I have numerous CDs and would've liked the option to play them without having to rip them to MP3 first is all. Probably more in line how some people still wish 3.5mm headphone jacks were still there on phones and tablets. Yes, we could adapt, it's been a taller order for more people than not. Speaking of which, I'll be looking into options to play MP3s (from my iPod Classic, a thumb drive, what have you)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.