Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Music Was Second Biggest Global Music Streaming Service in 2019

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It’s really a lot, even adjusted time inflation it’s more than the best average amount per capita ever recorded in history, plus lot of people like me buy Vinyl. Anyway 120$ or 100$ a year it’s a good amount of money, the problem of streaming revenu is not on the side of consumer but on the side of the majors and the platforms
You can say it’s a lot, but that doesn’t make it true. I’m not sure what country you live in, but here in the US that equals about a half hour worth of work per month. So you have to work about a minute and a half per day to cover your music streaming expense. Maybe it’s more expensive in your country.

Also, that’s cool that you buy vinyl, but it doesn’t change the value proposition of streaming. If you’re not getting $8 a month of value out of your subscription, by all means cancel it. There are other options, such as ad supported streaming for people on a stricter budget.

It’s $8/month. About the same price as Disney Plus, SD Netflix or ad-supported Hulu; it’s about 1/2 the price of 4K Netflix.

Surely you don’t think you’re entitled to pay less than $8/month, but I can understand if it's too expensive. Everyone has their own budget, and I’ve seen others who spend $120/month at Starbucks complain about the price of much less expensive things.

It’s really a personal choice about what has value to you. Maybe buy one fewer vinyl records every couple months? Or maybe streaming just isn’t something you value, so why subscribe at all?

Reactions: citysnaps
Comment

kb923689

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2019
I use Spotify (free) to discover new music and iTunes to manage my local files and sync my iPhone.

Comment

atoqir

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2018
I am in both statistics :D

I use Apple Music because it plays nice on my iPad and iPhone. I also have a lot of music not on streaming services that I can upload to my library.

But on Windows it is quite horrible. iTunes works terrible on my new laptop and game PC and the beta web player is (just like iCloud.com and TV+ website) horrible in performance and missing functionality. So I am forced to use Spotify at least 7 hours a day when I am working.

I really wish Apple would start making decent web access for their services.

I have an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil 2 + AirPods Pro + TypeCover + iPhoneX + AppleTV+ and Apple Music Family. Why do they keep punishing me again and again for using Windows with a horrible users experience when they get truckloads of money from me. And no I don't want a Mac because I really don't like using it. I am also a PC gamer.

If they want to grow their customer base they should really look into this.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
You can say it’s a lot, but that doesn’t make it true. I’m not sure what country you live in, but here in the US that equals about a half hour worth of work per month. So you have to work about a minute and a half per day to cover your music streaming expense. Maybe it’s more expensive in your country.

Also, that’s cool that you buy vinyl, but it doesn’t change the value proposition of streaming. If you’re not getting $8 a month of value out of your subscription, by all means cancel it. There are other options, such as ad supported streaming for people on a stricter budget.

It’s $8/month. About the same price as Disney Plus, SD Netflix or ad-supported Hulu; it’s about 1/2 the price of 4K Netflix.

Surely you don’t think you’re entitled to pay less than $8/month, but I can understand if it's too expensive. Everyone has their own budget, and I’ve seen others who spend $120/month at Starbucks complain about the price of much less expensive things.

It’s really a personal choice about what has value to you. Maybe buy one fewer vinyl records every couple months? Or maybe streaming just isn’t something you value, so why subscribe at all?

Agree... And, if you take advantage of discounted iTunes gift cards it works out to $7.50 per month, or 25 cents per day. It's even cheaper than that if you snag iTunes cards from Costco when a few times per year $100 cards can be had for $85.

Even at the normal price of $100/year (27 cents per day) it's a deal for all you can eat music over a wide range of genres. And that makes it great for discovering new music/genres.

That it works so smoothly with my three HomePods with simple verbal commands from across the room, and not needing any phone/tablet/or computer to play music, is icing on the cake.

Reactions: PickUrPoison
Comment

BGPL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2016
California
Apple Music doesn't have an intuitive interface IMO. It doesn't feel right - which is why I continue to use Spotify every day, even thought I get Apple Music for free through Verizon. I have never liked it, hopefully they will change it up and make it feel more welcoming and easy to navigate. Spotify is just so easy. It's hard to take the plunge and transfer over my playlists.

Oh, and Amazon Music HD is awesome - I have a few hi-fi systems and the difference is unreal at high volumes. I remembering back when a 160Kbps MP3 was god tier quality, and many were using 128Kbps and saying "it's more than enough". Yikes.
[automerge]1586095877[/automerge]
Yes, most definitely. I still use it, but I really wish it were completely redesigned.
Yes, it's horrid. They need to take it back to the drawing board, completely.

Comment

ingambe

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2020

You didn’t understood my point

I never say it was a bad value

I say that 120$ a year on music per capita it’s a lot COMPARED to the average spending (even during the golden area of music) and THUS the consumer is not to blame for the lack of revenue of the artist
You’re twisting my point to make an argument for yourself but it was not at all what I was talking about

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
You didn’t understood my point

I never say it was a bad value

I say that 120$ a year on music per capita it’s a lot COMPARED to the average spending (even during the golden area of music) and THUS the consumer is not to blame for the lack of revenue of the artist
You’re twisting my point to make an argument for yourself but it was not at all what I was talking about
I’m not twisting your point, I’m responding to your contention that $8/month is a lot of money.

Before streaming, we didn’t have access to 50 million tracks. We paid $53 for 4 or 5 CDs. So maybe 50 tracks.

Now, we have access to 50 million tracks for $100. Of course, I’m not saying we should be paying a million times more just because we can listen to a million times more tracks.

But if we paid $200 a year instead of $100—still a very fair price for those 50 million tracks—the artists could make at least twice as much as they make now. Or, if you want to pay artists a bigger piece of the pie, that’s fine too.

But as long as people think $100/year is a lot of money for what it is we’re getting now (not what we used to get, which was 50 tracks/year), I don’t see things improving for the artists anytime soon.

Comment

kb923689

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2019
Streaming is not worth for me. I've been listening to the same songs from 10 years ago. Of course I keep up with my favorite artists but I don't consume much new music.

Comment

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Emphasis mine.

Family Sharing is much less “clunky” then sharing an Apple ID. You will regret the decision to share the ID when you end up with calls and messages arriving on the wrong device or personal data being deleted from contacts, calendars, and photos, accidentally by the other users.

if you don’t want to spend on someone else’s credit card as part of a Family Share just buy iTunes cards for that user.
We have separate accounts for the iCloud/iMessage stuff, but we share one with all the movies or whatever else we purchase. Nobody buys stuff individually AFAIK.

Comment

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
I personally am using Spotify simply because it has promos and carrier deals here in Indonesia. But if no such promos existed, I would go with Apple music.
Apple Music was free for the first year with my carrier in Australia. I’m pretty sure all you had to do was buy an iPhone while the promotion was running.

I’m now paying full price but the streaming doesn’t count towards my monthly data cap. Spotify does count towards the cap.

And at full quality, Apple Music is 3.3GB per hour and with my listening habits that can be up to 200GB per month that would otherwise go towards my data cap. Which lets me be on the lowest tier mobile data plan instead of one of the higher tiers.

But mostly I just like Apple Music better than Spotify.

Last edited:
Comment

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Ability to play from a browser is a standout feature for me so no need to install a bloated app. Pretty much all the major players Spotify, Google, Soundcloud, etc. have it except for Apple Music.
You mean this? It's been around since september/19

Reactions: Act3
Comment

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Spotify rightfully at #1. Don't know why anyone would use anything else.. especially Apple Music?
I can think of a whole bunch of reasons why I would use something else, especially AppleMusic. As a musician myself, one of them is all the various imaginative ways they constantly find to screw up musicians and make sure they get as little money as possible. They are to musicians what Facebook is to... well everyone.

As a listener , i find Apple Music's presonalized recommandations far superior if you're into other kinds of music than the pop Top 10 kind.

Comment

Northern Man

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
As a listener , i find Apple Music's presonalized recommandations far superior if you're into other kinds of music than the pop Top 10 kind.
I do not listen to "pop Top 10 kind" and I disagree with your statement 100%. The recommendations to me from Spotify are vastly superior to those from Apple Music. But we all have an opinion so all is good. Stay with what you enjoy the most. :) 🎼

Comment

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
I don't understand why anyone would use Apple music when family sharing requires everyone be on the same AppleID family account with one person in control of everyone's AppleID accounts.

That's a hard deal-breaker for me. Apple needs to realize that in the 21st century we have progressive families that aren't ruled by a patriarch. And many family households have multiple adults who want autonomy over their own things.

I guess Apple Music is good for people who live alone. Just like HomePod.

Control over what - who pays? Then pay for your own account if you want to be "in control". Next…

Comment

BuffaloTF

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2008
Apple Music doesn't have an intuitive interface IMO. It doesn't feel right - which is why I continue to use Spotify every day, even thought I get Apple Music for free through Verizon. I have never liked it, hopefully they will change it up and make it feel more welcoming and easy to navigate. Spotify is just so easy. It's hard to take the plunge and transfer over my playlists.

I don't get this one... Spotify had the absolute worst interface ever... then they changed it to its current incarnation... which is a knock off of Apple Music's UI. It's damn near identical.
[automerge]1586224920[/automerge]
I do not listen to "pop Top 10 kind" and I disagree with your statement 100%. The recommendations to me from Spotify are vastly superior to those from Apple Music. But we all have an opinion so all is good. Stay with what you enjoy the most. :) 🎼

That's what happens when you use the services... they hone in your specifics. It didn't magically happen, it took some time. I get zero Pop Top 10 stuff. I've turned into my parents and mostly listen to 80s and 90s stuff from my youth. And as a result, my recommendations are 'youthful'... but to me.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.