Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Music Was Second Biggest Global Music Streaming Service in 2019

mrochester

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2009
To be clear, can they buy apps billed to their own credit cards while you bill apps separately to a different payment method?
i think that would only work if purchase sharing is switched off otherwise it’s the organisers payment method that is charged.

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Are you foreign to the concept of statistics ?
Sorry, but you are not the center of the world

Here are official statistics for the year 2002 to 2012: https://www.statista.com/statistics/191044/us-consumer-spending-on-recorded-music-since-2002/

It was 53 dollars on average, so less than half the annual price of streaming services (120$)

Even the best year in history for music sales (1999) reached a peak of only 73$

So yes, 120$ it's already a lot
It’s really not a lot. For that $73, you got maybe 5 CDs.

Besides, $73 in 1999 is $113 in 2020 dollars, after inflation is taken into account. For maybe 50 tracks.

btw Apple Music has an annual plan for only $99/year. For access to 50 million tracks.

Comment

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014

I subscribe to AM, but I still dislike subscriptions. It would feel weird going back to paying all the time. I don’t really listen to radio or anything anymore to discover music, so I guess AM does that for me a bit. I am looking at starting to buy albums etc of artists I love (Train, Coldplay and others).

Comment

dwaite

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Apple needs to realize that in the 21st century we have progressive families that aren't ruled by a patriarch. And many family households have multiple adults who want autonomy over their own things.

They actually support rule by matriarch as well.

Reactions: fbr$
Comment

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I don't understand why anyone would use Apple music when family sharing requires everyone be on the same AppleID family account with one person in control of everyone's AppleID accounts.

That's a hard deal-breaker for me. Apple needs to realize that in the 21st century we have progressive families that aren't ruled by a patriarch. And many family households have multiple adults who want autonomy over their own things.

I guess Apple Music is good for people who live alone. Just like HomePod.
[automerge]1585965390[/automerge]

This logic makes no sense. So Tidal is not for you, it's also not for me, but why does their lack of success bring you great joy? Why does Tidal have such a premium space in your mind? I don't care one way or the other how Tidal is doing, I just ignore it and don't think about it.
Family Sharing is a great option for families to save money on apps and services, and at the same time it gives a level of control to parents over what their children are using and/or viewing. This is a generous offering by Apple. If you are insulted by the gesture, then every member of your family can just pay for their own apps and services — problem solved.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It’s available on all my Apple devices, especially the Apple Watch and Apple TV (as I still don’t have HomePods in my country). It’s integrated with Siri, and I just like keeping it all within the Apple ecosystem.
Great answer. Also, when I had Spotify, I never found their curated playlists to be any good.

Reactions: idrewuk
Comment

jasoncarle

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
Spotify rightfully at #1. Don't know why anyone would use anything else.. especially Apple Music?

I don't use Spotify, I use Tidal and Qobuz because I like streaming high quality music at CD bit rates, or higher, which NONE of the others do.
[automerge]1586042497[/automerge]
Everyone I know that uses Spotify only does so because they get 6 month subscription codes for £5 online. I would have thought Spotify would crack down on these but they don’t seem to mind.

Probably because without it no one would subscribe to Spotify...
[automerge]1586042666[/automerge]
Yeah. 256 AAC is transparent. 320 mp3 is not.

Both are lossy and not remotely close to transparent... whatever that is supposed to mean.
[automerge]1586042798[/automerge]
Qobuz with Roon frontend is by far the best route to go. All others are a joke.

First post here I agree with 100%
Currently on my second desktop is below, although its currently playing an album from Tidal because it isn't on Qobuz.

;-)
[automerge]1586042933[/automerge]
cant say I’ve ever heard of anyone buying that much music before!

I currently have over 1800 CDs in my basement, and over 6000 vinyl records...

There, now you have heard of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 6.26.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 6.26.02 PM.png
    758.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
But Spotify, unlike the others, are in red, so its bankrupsy is close, perhaps. They reported a operating loss of -77 million dollars in 2019. Well, they don't pay much to artists, so they are still making money, I guess.

I think Spotify’s pivot into podcasts has actually helped them reduce their losses, mainly because they don’t need to pay any royalties on those. My money is still on them being acquired by another company such as Microsoft or amazon through.

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Dethroned by who? Aren't they pretty much #1, or at least tied for #1?
Dethroned by Apple, which is currently in second place. Right now they’re only 7 percentage points behind in revenue, with Spotify at 31% and Apple at 24%. Spotify has more customers 36% to Apple’s 19%), but many of those come from low-revenue partnership deals and student subs.

Reactions: StoneJack
Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Dethroned by who? Aren't they pretty much #1, or at least tied for #1?

Spotify’s biggest challenge is still to turn a profit, because I don’t see how anyone can expect them to keep making losses for perpetuity. Having all the subscribers in the world is moot if it doesn’t help them achieve this.

In addition, we have to be ready to acknowledge the point that not all subscribers are made equal. My observation is that Apple Music has mainly gotten traction in countries with higher market share of iPhones. These tend to be your more affluent customers in more developed countries who often pay full price (or near full price) in terms of subscription fees.

Conversely, Spotify seems to be mainly gaining market share in developing countries with a higher share of android devices. It likely has to offer deeply discounted rates in order to get them to subscribe. Not to mention that their ad-supported tier is also costing them money. It’s a pyrrhic victory of sorts.

So while Spotify has greater revenue than Apple Music, it likely also was way higher costs, so I expect Apple Music to soon become profitable (if it wasn’t already), while Spotify continues to burn cash simply trying to break even.

Comment

Nogi Memes

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Surprised at the level of misinformation in this thread.

- You can access Apple Music from a browser. I use Chrome.
- It doesn't delete your local library from your Mac.

I paid $99 for a year on a card that had 5% back on streaming services. My cost is $7.84/month.

The people arguing about CDs vs Apple Music...it's not an apples to apples comparison. By that logic, you should go back to using a $20 flip phone. It's cheaper than a smartphone.

Last edited:
Comment

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
I have to say, Apple Music for macOS was rolled out terribly, and is still a horrible application. They should have kept iTunes for those who wanted it.
Apple Music literally criticises and lies to me when I try to add songs...
• It adds my albums in some weird order, and I simply cannot get it to add them by track name (01–10...)/ID3 track order. So I'd have to literally add hundreds of albums, and then re-order them by hand. [lost time]
• Even if the songs I want to play are on my local disk, it takes 3 seconds for it to talk to some fn server somewhere for some reason. [lost time]
• I no longer have metadata, such as the number of times I've played a song... [lost data]
• It displays server album art, and not the album art embedded in the ID3... so I'll have an album where 9/10 songs have the right album art, and 1 song has the single art... wtf? [lost data]
• With songs that I've listened to a lot since I was 16, I find skips or blowouts with the encoding process of the song. This is annoying, but when I added MY OWN FN SONGS TO THE LIBRARY, WHY THE HELL IS IT PLAYING STREAMED SONGS??? [lost data]
• Apple Music matches names of songs to versions that are actually different on the CDs that I've ripped. [lost data]
• It tells me that it's adding songs to my library, but doesn't. Why? Because it's checking what I add with the server, rather than just accepting to use my local library. [lost data]
• When I'm looking at music I don't own, I'll start playing an album or playlist... and go following some other links while I'm listening...then I can't get back to that playlist unless I know which ridiculous ... to click on. [lost position]
• When I restart Apple Music, if I was listening to a non-local playlist, it doesn't remember where I was or what I was listening to. So, if you like a playlist or album, don't quit without adding the playlist locally. Speaking of which... [lost state]
• Try adding a playlist to your library. Great. Now heart some songs. Now make a Smart Playlist that's 'Hearts' from 'The Playlist'. Lol. It would be funny if it wasn't breaking my hearts.
• Piece of **** software has caused hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people to lose functionality that they had, and combined with the Apple Match fiasco, has lost so many people their local copy of music that they owned and had ripped from their own collections, violating the first law of robotics... Never Lose Data.
• I have songs that I've written, or from friends, that are not released, and when I add them, Apple Music insists on finding an artist in its database, and showing me that artist/album art, even though it doesn't match (i.e. there is no such album from their chosen artist), and ignoring the ID3 album art that was embedded in the songs. [lost data]
• I could go on, but I should just start my own blog called AppleMusic.lol...
• Apple may have music in its DNA, Steve may have had music in his DNA, but Tim Cook and the Apple staff who were responsible for Apple Music do not. (View Tim's interaction with any musician). [lost love]
• The iPod was core to Apple's resurgence after Steve came back, and iTunes was the enabler of that. Now Apple Music just another way for Tim to squeeze money out of customers. You can bet Apple's next quarterly profits that he doesn't use Apple Music the way a music lover does. He has the money to just have U2 show up and play his favourite tunes during his morning treadmill run. [lost revenue when I cancel my sub month after next]

Comment

jasoncarle

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
I have to say, Apple Music for macOS was rolled out terribly, and is still a horrible application. They should have kept iTunes for those who wanted it.
Apple Music literally criticises and lies to me when I try to add songs...
• It adds my albums in some weird order, and I simply cannot get it to add them by track name (01–10...)/ID3 track order. So I'd have to literally add hundreds of albums, and then re-order them by hand. [lost time]
• Even if the songs I want to play are on my local disk, it takes 3 seconds for it to talk to some fn server somewhere for some reason. [lost time]
• I no longer have metadata, such as the number of times I've played a song... [lost data]
• It displays server album art, and not the album art embedded in the ID3... so I'll have an album where 9/10 songs have the right album art, and 1 song has the single art... wtf? [lost data]
• With songs that I've listened to a lot since I was 16, I find skips or blowouts with the encoding process of the song. This is annoying, but when I added MY OWN FN SONGS TO THE LIBRARY, WHY THE HELL IS IT PLAYING STREAMED SONGS??? [lost data]
• Apple Music matches names of songs to versions that are actually different on the CDs that I've ripped. [lost data]
• It tells me that it's adding songs to my library, but doesn't. Why? Because it's checking what I add with the server, rather than just accepting to use my local library. [lost data]
• When I'm looking at music I don't own, I'll start playing an album or playlist... and go following some other links while I'm listening...then I can't get back to that playlist unless I know which ridiculous ... to click on. [lost position]
• When I restart Apple Music, if I was listening to a non-local playlist, it doesn't remember where I was or what I was listening to. So, if you like a playlist or album, don't quit without adding the playlist locally. Speaking of which... [lost state]
• Try adding a playlist to your library. Great. Now heart some songs. Now make a Smart Playlist that's 'Hearts' from 'The Playlist'. Lol. It would be funny if it wasn't breaking my hearts.
• Piece of **** software has caused hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people to lose functionality that they had, and combined with the Apple Match fiasco, has lost so many people their local copy of music that they owned and had ripped from their own collections, violating the first law of robotics... Never Lose Data.
• I have songs that I've written, or from friends, that are not released, and when I add them, Apple Music insists on finding an artist in its database, and showing me that artist/album art, even though it doesn't match (i.e. there is no such album from their chosen artist), and ignoring the ID3 album art that was embedded in the songs. [lost data]
• I could go on, but I should just start my own blog called AppleMusic.lol...
• Apple may have music in its DNA, Steve may have had music in his DNA, but Tim Cook and the Apple staff who were responsible for Apple Music do not. (View Tim's interaction with any musician). [lost love]
• The iPod was core to Apple's resurgence after Steve came back, and iTunes was the enabler of that. Now Apple Music just another way for Tim to squeeze money out of customers. You can bet Apple's next quarterly profits that he doesn't use Apple Music the way a music lover does. He has the money to just have U2 show up and play his favourite tunes during his morning treadmill run. [lost revenue when I cancel my sub month after next]

It sounds like you need to NOT use Apple Music...

Reactions: PickUrPoison
Comment

vanillaspice

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Alright who using Amazon Music
Everyone who has an Echo.
[automerge]1586060009[/automerge]
The saddest part of this article is that the music industry still refuses to count the most popular music streaming service by user—YouTube video, at 2B monthly individual users. There's tons of money flowing because of that but, because it doesn't represent OTT sales, they conveniently omit it.

Last edited:
Comment

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
What are those other reasons?

Oh, you know, maybe a perrsonal preference for ads that aren't FIFTY TIMES LOUDER THAN THE MUSIC YOU'RE LISTENING TO for starters. I've complained to Spotify about this in the past but they've done nothing about it. When I have time to sit down and switch to another music service, I will likely do so.

Comment

Northern Man

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Oh, you know, maybe a perrsonal preference for ads that aren't FIFTY TIMES LOUDER THAN THE MUSIC YOU'RE LISTENING TO for starters. I've complained to Spotify about this in the past but they've done nothing about it. When I have time to sit down and switch to another music service, I will likely do so.
You could actually spend a few bucks and subscribe to the premium service and avoid the ads.;)

Comment

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
I think the Amazon Music figure is driven by Prime membership? I have that so presumably I have access to Amazon Music but haven’t actually checked. Presume this is the case for a lot of people.

I support Apple Music because they aren’t taking legal proceedings to enable them to pay pittance to artists creating the content. I believe Amazon and Spotify are both lodging appeals at the moment — greed.

Comment

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I don't understand why anyone would use Apple music when family sharing requires everyone be on the same AppleID family account with one person in control of everyone's AppleID accounts.

That's a hard deal-breaker for me. Apple needs to realize that in the 21st century we have progressive families that aren't ruled by a patriarch. And many family households have multiple adults who want autonomy over their own things.

I guess Apple Music is good for people who live alone. Just like HomePod.
[automerge]1585965390[/automerge]

This. Family sharing sucks, because it's not sharing, it's top down donating from on one archaic breadwinner. It only works for me because my girlfriend (living in another household with her own kids) doesn't use an iphone yet.

Spotify was the market leader with a 31 percent share of total revenue and a 35 percent share of total paid subscriptions, while Apple Music earned the second place slot with a 24 percent share of total revenues in the industry and a 19 percent share of the total paid subscriptions.

meaning, apple is either paying less to artists or his own employees than dpotify or is able to do the infrastructure drastically cheaper.

Comment

ingambe

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2020
It’s really not a lot. For that $73, you got maybe 5 CDs.

Besides, $73 in 1999 is $113 in 2020 dollars, after inflation is taken into account. For maybe 50 tracks.

btw Apple Music has an annual plan for only $99/year. For access to 50 million tracks.
It’s really a lot, even adjusted time inflation it’s more than the best average amount per capita ever recorded in history, plus lot of people like me buy Vinyl. Anyway 120$ or 100$ a year it’s a good amount of money, the problem of streaming revenu is not on the side of consumer but on the side of the majors and the platforms

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.