Apple NAB Announcements?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret reported that it expects new versions of Apple's Shake, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro at the National Association of Broadcasters Conference which takes place between April 16-21 in Las Vegas, NV.

Also possible are references to a new pro video and new pro audio application to be introduced.

Meanwhile, an unconfirmed MacRumors tipster points to possible PowerMac updates to come at NAB from Apple. PowerMacs were last updated in June 2004.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Bring it on. New Powermac Dual cores. Or maybe not if they are released at NAB. I would prefer them to be released at WWDC coz then we have a better chance of Dual cores.

I wonder what will be the major differences with FCP and DVD Studio Pro

NO.1 NO.1 NO.1 NO.1 NO.1

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
powerbooks might be a bit away yet , i was on the phone with apple UK regarding a order and droped the line " i will be ordering a new iBook as soon as it gets released " and the nice irish lady said that the iBook was due anytime now for a update ! to which i said yep a new form factor iBook would be what i'm looking for - and she then said she was not too sure on a new design but they are DEFINATLY going to be updating this April and maybe a widescreen edition for the range would show up also - and as for Tiger 10.4 - i said rumors have it on either the 1st or the 15th and she said the normal line of apple does not tell them until it has been released so who knows ?

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Macrumors said:
ThinkSecret reported that it expects new versions of Apple's Shake, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro at the National Association of Broadcasters Conference which takes place between April 16-21 in Las Vegas, NV.

Also possible are references to a new pro video and new pro audio application to be introduced.

Meanwhile, an unconfirmed MacRumors tipster points to possible PowerMac updates to come at NAB from Apple. PowerMacs were last updated in June 2004.

Was this story based on information that I submitted?

The G5's probably would have faster CPU's (maybe one is a 2.3GHz config-as the xServe's use it), the X800 as a BTO.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Macrumors said:

I would expect iMac/eMac updates before NAB. PMG5's- the last rev. were announced 2-3 before the WWDC

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Macrumors said:
Between this tip and the changes found in the devleopers performance utilities, I'm fairly certain that we we see te top end of th line being a dual core-dual procesor PowerMac.

NAB is a perfect venue to announce this configuration as it is one of the major group of customers that this configuration would be appropriate too.
I think WWDC may be where Apple announces one more thing this year - the one that nobody really expects.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
I wonder what the news is of Motion. That is the application which perhaps needs the most work but also has the most possibilities. I assume DVD SP might get HD support now and Powermacs may feature Blueray burners as a BTO.
If news of the FCP update is true and it does need Tiger support then we are faced with the possibilty that either 10.4 is released mid April or we have another couple of months to wait before these applications actually ship.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
liketom said:
powerbooks might be a bit away yet , i was on the phone with apple UK regarding a order and droped the line " i will be ordering a new iBook as soon as it gets released " and the nice irish lady said that the iBook was due anytime now for a update ! to which i said yep a new form factor iBook would be what i'm looking for - and she then said she was not too sure on a new design but they are DEFINATLY going to be updating this April and maybe a widescreen edition for the range would show up also - and as for Tiger 10.4 - i said rumors have it on either the 1st or the 15th and she said the normal line of apple does not tell them until it has been released so who knows ?
Thanks for information about iBook's-from a Apple rep, so that means new iBooks next month -interesting tidbit to me was about a Widescreen edition

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
All right, so far in April we have had rumors appear for the following products to appear:
Tiger
iMac
eMac
iBook
Powermac
FCP
DVD Studio Pro
Shake
Motion
New Video App (3-D video effects?)
New Audio App

That is a lot of goodies, also it leaves no room for anything really at WWDC or Paris, except Powerbook G5.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
3.0 ghz G5? It's not like they haven't had enough time for that one. Though what would really be cool is if they create a dual core 3.0 ghz, dual processor, for a total of 12 ghz of processing power! It'll happen someday I guess. :D

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
getting mightily annoyed with the "new powerbooks tuesday" and dual core stuff crap.

ok it would be nice to see April being a huge month for updates but i certainly dont see comercially viable PB G5's, dual core powermacs or Blu Ray burners- they've only JUST been shown at CeBIT! it would be an amazing first for apple but lets be honest when have they ever been that quick with new technology getting in to their machines?

Buuuuuut, we'll just have to wait and see.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Trowaman said:
All right, so far in April we have had rumors appear for the following products to appear:
Tiger
iMac
eMac
iBook
Powermac
FCP
DVD Studio Pro
Shake
Motion
New Audio App

That is a lot of goodies, also it leaves no room for anything really at WWDC or Paris, except Powerbook G5.
Mate ya forgot the two button dual core mouse

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think Powermacs could be likely.

Apple may want to announce the new software and Hardware at once and set off a frenzy of activity.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new application revisions. I'm thinking Apple has a new Digital Audio Workstation(DAW) coming that will eventually replace logic. Motion will probably hit 2.0 and work much better under Tiger.

Final Cut Pro 5 and Shake 4 should be some big upgrades. NAB can't come soon enough.

zakatov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
South Florida
ziwi said:
Really like to see those PM's and Tiger, but I just have a feeling I will be waiting until June. :(
I think it's highly likely that Tiger will come soon, but PM... that's another story. Still fingers crossed though.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Hmm, are we talking DUAL dual-core processors? Dual 3GHz dual-core G5's may make me sell my current G5 on e-bay. ;)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I agree with some of the previous posters. There is way to much happening in April according to the rumors. Some of them must be false or Apple has something bigger planned for WWDC. What can that be? Quad dual-core Xserves (as in a total of 8 cores)?

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Trowaman said:
Tiger
iMac
eMac
iBook
Powermac
FCP
DVD Studio Pro
Shake
Motion
New Audio App

So basiclly Apple will be updating SOMETHING in April. We just don't know what. :D

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Bear said:
Between this tip and the changes found in the devleopers performance utilities, I'm fairly certain that we we see te top end of th line being a dual core-dual procesor PowerMac.

NAB is a perfect venue to announce this configuration as it is one of the major group of customers that this configuration would be appropriate too.
I think WWDC may be where Apple announces one more thing this year - the one that nobody really expects.
With Apple already having adopted Blu-Ray and already having proclaimed this as the Year of High Def, I wonder if the WWDC announcement is a Blu-ray burner in the G5. For this to make any sense, obviously, Blu-ray players will need to be on the market, but that's coming later this year and Apple has already had Sony on the keynote stage once this year.

Of the critical pieces to the HD puzzle:

* Displays (HDTVs: CRT, LCD, plasma) are abundant on the market.
* Software (FCP HD, iMovie HD) is on the market.
* Burners in the pipe.
* Players and media (Blu-ray, HD-DVD) are expected to be on the market later this year.

The missing link is a computer that can create HD media and a player than can throw it up on your queen-bed-sized HDTV. Whether those are coming now or at WWDC, they are certainly among the the next big things from Apple.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
As I am itching to spend a pile of cash on a G5, I’d be happy with a speed bump, a higher base level of RAM and a better graphics card. Then lop off £50 from the total.

Or

Ditch the single 1.8Ghz model and replace it with the dual 1.8 but at the same price as the single. Then release a new high end model. This would give a real distinction to the difference between iMac and Power Mac performance.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Porchland said:
With Apple already having adopted Blu-Ray and already having proclaimed this as the Year of High Def, I wonder if the WWDC announcement is a Blu-ray burner in the G5. For this to make any sense, obviously, Blu-ray players will need to be on the market, but that's coming later this year and Apple has already had Sony on the keynote stage once this year.
<snip>.
Blu-Ray won't be available until 2006 so don't expect a Blu-Ray announcement for Macs until Macworld San Fran 2006 at the very earliest.

I don't have a problem with seeing Apple update their line in April. Tiger is a big thing and they're going to want to start shipping new computers with Tiger as soon as they can make them. Apple needs an advertising blitz as well.

There will inevitably be the stragglers that will not or cannot upgrade to Tiger but it behooves Apple to get as many OSX users onto Tiger as quickly as possible to ease development.

There are likely going to be alot of applications that will be Tiger only because of the large internal changes to the OS.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
bentley said:
where can the iBook go though without seriously standing on PowerBook toes?
an ibook mini would make sense. preferably with 10.6" widescreen.

1.2Ghz g4. no optical drive. that's sufficiently different to the pbooks