Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I've had a rooted and flash HTC Glacier, HTC One S, Nexus 5 and now on a Sony XZ1 Compact. Both parents have had Android phones as well as half my friends (which would be inline with the market).

Not once have I ever heard of anyone getting a virus. As for fragmentation.... it's improved greatly, but I'll agree Google needs to do better... however iOS is a joke in many other ways as well (no file browser, laff).

Don't spread FUD.
ROFLMAO The irony is strong in those last two sentences :)

Reactions: WWPD

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Like you mean like in the days when half of tech analysts were always mentioning that while Apple was little more than a curiosity factor in the tech world, it was hard to count them out only because they had so much money in the bank? Or that the other half were saying that Apple should return all that money to its shareholders, throw in the towel, and sell off its assets to Microsoft, Sun, and IBM?

Yeah, those were the days. Apple did rise to its dominance during Steve Jobs, but the number of days in which Steve Jobs enjoyed being on top of the tech world was small. Most of his days were spent being called a critical success that had yet to find a mainstream audience or as the company that once dominated the education market in its glory days.

I'm neither a Tim fan nor a SJ hater. I just don't recognize those good ol' days that everyone seems to be pining for.

I've never read a comment with such confidence followed by an insane amount of ignorance to back it up. It would be good to read up on some history cause the SJ days were incredible and deserve much respect.

Remember iPod, iPhone, iPad? These were all invented during a 10 year run under SJ. In between was the worlds first and most powerful 1 inch thin laptop with the worlds first backlit keyboard, flat screen iMac and oh yeah, inventing iOS, iCloud and making a modern day desktop OS.
Pretty great time I'd say. Checkmate.

Reactions: AlumaMac and WWPD

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
It would be good to read up on some history cause the SJ days were incredible and deserve much respect.

I'm not a Steve Jobs hater. He did some amazing things, but his tenure had their share of valleys and wasn't always this vast ocean of smooth water with tomorrow looking brighter than today. To say the least, Apple would be nothing like it is today without him, but it gets tiring to hear people who pine for the good ol' days when they either were never there for the full ride or willfully forgot that owning an Apple product wasn't always so much fun even while Steve Jobs was alive.

Steve Jobs died on top of the world, but he also spent a lot of his life in the two decades before it wandering around in the desert.

We ain't playing so calm down and lay off the Doritos.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I hate what Apple has become.
non-removable batteries in ALL of their portable devices

They all do it, particularly on mobile devices. I personally never bothered to buy batteries even when they were removable. So it kind of makes sense to me.

outrageous prices for old tech

I agree on this

removal of headphone jack, new iPhone doesn't connect to new MacBook without a dongle, etc.

Again, I am happy they removed the headphone jack, it leads to improvements for better wireless technology, and speed up lazy asses to innovate on this direction. I totally agree with them when they say it takes courage. I mean look at Samsung..... it is ******* it's pants and frightened to death to do it. They tried once with the removal of SD card and quickly had to put it back the following year due to angry customers going banana. (Doing what customers ask can only take you so far) Google took the mickey out of it to then do it themselves (typical Google). The AirPodS have been one of the best Apple products I have purchased and love it. Can never go back to wired ones.
As for connecting iPhone to macbook personally can't think of any reason why I would wan't to and last time I did it was probably 2013. I use Air Drop to share files between (usually photos amd short videos) and do updates over the air. I mean I understand how that is not how everyone would use it and what is suitable for me os for others too but I can see where Apple is heading with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: cote32mt and chabig

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
Z0z4FIK.jpg

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
I'm not a Steve Jobs hater. He did some amazing things, but his tenure had their share of valleys and wasn't always this vast ocean of smooth water with tomorrow looking brighter than today. To say the least, Apple would be nothing like it is today without him, but it gets tiring to hear people who pine for the good ol' days when they either were never there for the full ride or willfully forgot that owning an Apple product wasn't always so much fun even while Steve Jobs was alive.

Steve Jobs died on top of the world, but he also spent a lot of his life in the two decades before it wandering around in the desert.

We ain't playing so calm down and lay off the Doritos.

I tried to educate you with the time period and what was invented when people say the good ole days. You clearly ignored that information and went back to your original incorrect, ignorant, statement. I thought maybe after giving you the knowledge you'd get it. Guess not.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Innovative...................... These sites, organisations love to lick the you know what of who ever is big and hip currently

Theway400

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
Apple probably deserves this award for the next 20 years or at least until a company changes a market the way the iPhone did and subsequently the iPad...

Then sell more than a billion of them, continue to sell 100s of millions each year and continually evolve that same product for ten years.

And all this to a degree that every competitor follows every move as close as possible stopping only because of inability or copyright infringement.

Shooooo...

Reactions: MLVC and smirking

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
I don't hate Tim Cook at all but the words "Apple" and "innovation" should always be captioned with a picture of Steve Jobs, not Time Cook. Until Cook introduces devices and technology that change the word like the Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad did, that's how it should be. Cook is just riding the wave Jobs created.

daniesy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Mars
If the future means bugs, crappy emojis and animoji, than yes, apple deserves all the credit for their courage and innovation.

Also, Tim stop trying to look like Steve, you're not even in the same galaxy as he was. Scott would have been a good replacement, but alas, he's not coming back to apple :(

Reactions: femike

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Can hardly understand anything behind the release of the phone and the hardware and software intergration (I do love it though).

But their focus on Health, privacy and environmental impacts are fantastic and should be commended.

Reactions: chabig and smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I tried to educate you with the time period and what was invented when people say the good ole days. You clearly ignored that information and went back to your original incorrect, ignorant, statement. I thought maybe after giving you the knowledge you'd get it. Guess not.

What statement was that? I said the good ol' days weren't as great as everyone remembers it being. Apple made some incredible moves and won some awesome bets, but there were also lots of things that Apple was going the wrong direction on in those good old days. There was only a short period of time in which we could say the gap between Apple and everyone else was huge... I only count a few years of the iPhone that fit that description.

I don't start the Steve Jobs clock from the moment that the iPhone gained critical mass. I also count the years in which Apple needed a $150 million investment from Microsoft to make itself seem relevant and when the iMac won critical praise year after year, but didn't dent the dominance of Windows machines nor halt Apple's slide right out the door of the very education market that they once had a stranglehold on (with Steve Jobs version 1.0 even).

I count the Steve Jobs that tried to sell us on the idea that all computers should look like the G4 Cube or that you only need one button on a mouse, and the one that insisted that the iOS App ecosystem should not be opened to third party developers. I even count the stupid licensing fees that kneecapped Firewire as a viable transfer protocol.

If you want to worship at the alter of St. Steve, you have to also acknowledge that a lot of his bets went the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: spacemnspiff

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
But their focus on Health, privacy and environmental impacts are fantastic and should be commended.

Can't underscore this enough. Their focus on pushing the envelope of telehealth and medical telemetry is what has me most intrigued. These are VERY HARD problems that require a very big company to push. We've been knocking at the door of these types of applications for over a decade with no notable movement.

Progress in this area is going to be bumpy and likely not nearly as exciting as the golden age of smartphones, but would be arguably even more far reaching in its influence on society.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I've never read a comment with such confidence followed by an insane amount of ignorance to back it up. It would be good to read up on some history cause the SJ days were incredible and deserve much respect.

Remember iPod, iPhone, iPad? These were all invented during a 10 year run under SJ. In between was the worlds first and most powerful 1 inch thin laptop with the worlds first backlit keyboard, flat screen iMac and oh yeah, inventing iOS, iCloud and making a modern day desktop OS.

So in a period of ten years, they came up with the iPod, made the screen on it a bit better and bigger, and stuck a phone in it?

I'm not serious, of course. The point is you can reduce those things just as much as you can reduce stuff they've done since. Its not like SJ was pulling an iPhone from his backside every time he went on stage.

And conversely, even though there might not have been another iPhone, there has probably been a lot more innovation at Apple in the last 5-10 years or so than a lot of people would give them credit for.

Reactions: smirking

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Hardly well deserved with all the problems they've had the last few years.

It's a real shame you don't understand what the word "innovation" means.

Hint: It has absolutely nothing to do with software bugs, problems, delays, shortages, etc that most companies that take risks endure and solve.

Reactions: johngordon

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

I just never understood what the big deal is with charging port on the wireless mouse! Honestly. just don't get it.
I have had this thing for over a year. When the battery is low (which doesn't happen often) I just plug it on charge when I am not using it (and believe me, I can list plenty of occasions when I am not using it, like when I am sleeping for example) It is not like the battery all the sudden going to die without you being warned and giving you a plenty of chances to charge it!This wireless mouse is called wireless for a reason. If people want it to use it while connected to a wire, how about going for a cheaper wired option?
Good for Apple on sticking it's guns and not designing stuff based on what some clueless customers want.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Can't underscore this enough. Their focus on pushing the envelope of telehealth and medical telemetry is what has me most intrigued. These are VERY HARD problems that require a very big company to push. We've been knocking at the door of these types of applications for over a decade with no notable movement.

Progress in this area is going to be bumpy and likely not nearly as exciting as the golden age of smartphones, but would be arguably even more far reaching in its influence on society.
This.
People only thinks innovation as making something that they already have shinier and cheaper. They forgot the Apple is delving into many other sectors.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
This.
People only thinks innovation as making something that they already have shinier and cheaper. They forgot the Apple is delving into many other sectors.

Absolutely. That's a great example.

Also...For something a bit more tangible and recent, one only needs to look at the underlying technology found inside of HomePod, and how it was delivered in a well-priced and excellent performing consumer electronics device.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For something a bit more tangible and recent, one only needs to look at the underlying technology found inside of HomePod, and how it was delivered in a well-priced and excellent performing consumer electronics device.

We know the HomePod is a great device and sounds great, thats not much of a question. But Does the average consumer care enough to look further into the technology of the HomePod? All they see is the price and does it sound good compared to the competition. As a tech enthusiast, Some of us are more intrigued to understand more about the HomePod, but the average consumer likely won’t invest the time to fully understand what beamforming is or how a high excursion woofer functions. They just want the sound to deliver, it’s that simple.

As far as “Well-priced” stands, for the sound, I agree. But for the entire Product based on it’s Functionality, the software will progressively release updates in the future, Which some are waiting for more of a completion of the software integration.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.