Apple 'Netflix for Games' Subscription Service May Be Shown Monday

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A previously reported "Netflix for Games" subscription service that Apple has been working on may be shown at the Apple Event scheduled for Monday, March 25.

[​IMG]

Bloomberg reports that beyond Apple's news and video services which are expected to debut on Monday, Apple may be ready to unveil a similar gaming service.
    The monthly service fee would be divided amongst the games in the service based on how much time is spent in each game. The service would likely focus on paid games rather than the popular free-to-play genre.

Bloomberg isn't certain the service will debut Monday, but Apple has certainly cleared the way for a focus on new services for the event. Earlier this week, Apple quietly debuted new AirPods, iMacs, and iPads.

Article Link: Apple 'Netflix for Games' Subscription Service May Be Shown Monday

2. mozumder macrumors 6502a

If they do that then they really should build their own game console.

3. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

4. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

It's kind of fitting that the image MR chose to go with is of a three-year-old iOS device playing a game. :eek:

5. Radon87000 macrumors 604

None of these mobile games are as fun as PC gaming to me.

6. 8012R3 macrumors member

There’s only so much I can afford (and want) to subscribe to..

There’s an app
    .. a dongle
    .. subscription for that.

7. JagdTiger macrumors regular

JagdTiger

Yes, finally!

8. Glockworkorange macrumors 65832

Glockworkorange

As I get older, I find myself gravitating more and more to iOS games. The problem I have it so many of the games iOS offers are based on that gross freemium model. I'd happily pay $9.99 for a solid, complete game and I'm all for Apple offering that kind of service; however, I'm not sure there are enough truly paid iOS games for this kind of service.

9. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Can we just get the final version of iOS 12.2 today

10. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

And will those games still be infested with endless IAPs?

11. 8012R3 macrumors member

Probably. So Apple can take their cut twice. ;)

12. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Nope, not on a Saturday.

13. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'd expect an iPod touch update if they release a gaming subscription. iPod makes the perfect device for games as it is way cheaper than an iPhone. That's why I believed the rumours about a new iPod this week. I think there will be no hardware at the event, but if they launch a gaming service they may talk about the new iPod. Or they could launch it in June at WWDC as it is something involving developers (I mean both the game subscription and the new iPod)

14. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

It's crazy how many subscriptions consumers are expected to take out. A subscription for music, TV, dog food, vitamins and a plethora of other examples.

15. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

16. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

17. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Going to be out on Monday, or Tuesday at last. New AirPods need 12.2 so they ought to release it before they're in the hands of customers.

18. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

Tim is like: Team, services is our fastest growing category, lets see what subscriptions you guys can think of! Any ideas? News maybe? Or gaming? How about TV? Apple Care?

19. warp9 macrumors regular

warp9

This service is designed to create those games. It's going to take a few years, at least.

Since all the game developers have become addicted to basically getting free money from exploiting known gambling techniques, this is the only way to change the status quo. Removing the "pay-as-you-go" model forces developers to focus on gameplay to keep people engaged and I'm thrilled for that.

20. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

It really is getting ridiculous.

21. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Games are horrible on iOS. Most if not all the big developers over time stop updating their apps. It’s just not worth it for them.

Even with the nimbus controller the games are not nearly is fun as on a console imo.

Has anyone actually looked in the iPad App Store for a solid game lately ? There are none/

22. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Long Live that iPhone 5 design!!! May it be brought back one day and X go bye bye.

23. Classie macrumors regular

Apple is in a good position to offer a complete service; movies/series, games, music, news/magazines...

How they package and design the experience will be interesting to see on Monday.

24. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

That's the problem. They aren't going to remove the freemium model. It makes too much money for devs and Apple. This service would be in addition to the freemium model. Only certain devs would even be interested. Although "everybody" hates freemium model, everybody ain't willing to drop $5 to $10 on a mobile game. Heck, if the revenue distribution is anything to go by, most aren't willing to do so. It would be nice, but I seriously doubt this service would change the status quo.

25. scottishwildcat macrumors regular

They did, it's called the Apple TV. Turns out nobody really wants to play games on it, though.