Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Games are horrible on iOS. Most if not all the big developers over time stop updating their apps. It’s just not worth it for them.

Even with the nimbus controller the games are not nearly is fun as on a console imo.

Has anyone actually looked in the iPad App Store for a solid game lately ? There are none/

The new “Kingdom Rush” just came out like a few months ago & is quite good.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Not sure how it helps Apple. They make a ton off freemium games that despite the hate they get, its what people obviously spend on.

Once again it’s desperation for more services revenue with Apple not really doing anything on the software side. How can we package third party apps and services to make more revenue seems to be focus.

If they can spend over a billion on tv shows, then why wouldn’t a gaming sub benefit from original games from Apple? It’s all half baked knee jerk reactions all thought up when they realized iPhone demand was falling.

Back to basics Apple. Hardware plus software. Start focusing on software again. Snatch up fantastical, 1Password , etc and there’s your sub. Premium versions of existing features. Better quality music. Higher paid tiers.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
No thanks. I only buy a few iOS games per year. There just isn’t much that catches my eye any more and what does exist is mostly freemium garbage. Maybe if this is a way for developers who don’t want to go the freemium pay-to-win route to make a living it could be a good thing, but I think if the pay model is play time, many developers will just exploit that to make addictive loops to trap people in the game instead of just making a good game.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I don’t play games but downloaded wordscape for hubby and man were the ads annoying. Deleted it. I’d pay the $2 but was worried it would still have ads. Plus you can’t transfer the game to a family share member.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
From the January article...
The report, citing five unnamed sources, claims the service would function like "Netflix for games," providing paying subscribers with access to a bundle of games for a set price.

Whoever thought that describing this as "Netflix for Games" has an odd perspective. A Netflix subscription does not involve "bundles". It's all or nothing with Netflix, at least here in Canada.
[doublepost=1553366648][/doublepost]
Long Live that iPhone 5 design!!! May it be brought back one day and X go bye bye.

Wrong article, but why, I'm curious?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This headfirst jump into “enemy territory” that is services is kinda scary. This very well could be looked at as a large turning point for Apple, either good or bad, in the future.

Apple has been building and running services for decades. I actually don't like the idea of them getting into TV and movie production, but if they manage to match Netflix in terms of creativity and quality, then it's a good thing. There are way too many low-budget garbage productions, too much pro-American (sorry, but true!), and too many gun-loving movie producers. We need more choice, more creativity, more "wow".

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
There's the newly announced Google Stadia that will put nails in the coffin for mobile gaming apps.

No it won’t.

First off, the Internet is not reliable enough yet to make this work for everyone. As someone who games and has spent a considerable amount of money on my gaming PC, there’s no way I’d settle for even the slightest bit of lag. And I highly doubt (based on the hardware Google is using for their servers) that the graphic quality will be anywhere near what I get.

For mobile it’s worse. The lag/delay over cellular is worse, and since you’re literally streaming content (like you would with video) you’re going to eat through your data cap in no time.

The final nail in the coffin for Stadia will be when Google abandons it like they do so many other projects when they don’t succeed or they get bored.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Wow I’m so confused. Reading this thread it’s like Apple Games are a failure, but App Store revenue continues to soar. According to some of the same people the only thing selling on the App Store is Games so it irrelevant. How can it be both? There seems to be a huge market of App Gamers they Apple sells too.
There's no nuance in your observation. That's may be why you're so confused. No one is claiming iOS gaming is a failure. People are complaining that the success of iOS gaming is based on the IAP freemium model. They're complaining that there is a substantial absence of good pay once titles on the App Store. People are dismayed because they know it's a catch 22 where gaming is concerned. IAP pays the most, the quickest, and the longest. So there's really no incentive to develop pay once titles - look at Nintendo on mobile as evidence. They were disappointed with their revenue from their pay once title, but successful as all get out with their IAP titles. You ask how can it be both. It's both because we're talking about two different types of gaming. The one that is wildly successful (IAP) is the one that a segment of the population dislikes. The one that isn't as successful (pay once) is the one that we'd like to have a greater presence and influence in the App Store. That's how it can be both. It can't be examined in a binary fashion.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
From the January article...

Whoever thought that describing this as "Netflix for Games" has an odd perspective. A Netflix subscription does not involve "bundles". It's all or nothing with Netflix, at least here in Canada.
[doublepost=1553366648][/doublepost]

Wrong article, but why, I'm curious?

No, right article, actually. And because the iPhone 5 design is so much better than the X. Its as simple as that. Life is better without an ugly notch. And yes, I have used a X.

Reactions: Marekul

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The monthly service fee would be divided amongst the games in the service, after Apple's 50% cut, based on how much time is spent in each game. The service would likely focus on paid games rather than the popular free-to-play genre.

Fixed

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
There's no nuance in your observation. That's may be why you're so confused. No one is claiming iOS gaming is a failure. People are complaining that the success of iOS gaming is based on the IAP freemium model. They're complaining that there is a substantial absence of good pay once titles on the App Store. People are dismayed because they know it's a catch 22 where gaming is concerned. IAP pays the most, the quickest, and the longest. So there's really no incentive to develop pay once titles - look at Nintendo on mobile as evidence. They were disappointed with their revenue from their pay once title, but successful as all get out with their IAP titles. You ask how can it be both. It's both because we're talking about two different types of gaming. The one that is wildly successful (IAP) is the one that a segment of the population dislikes. The one that isn't as successful (pay once) is the one that we'd like to have a greater presence and influence in the App Store. That's how it can be both. It can't be examined in a binary fashion.

It’s not just pay once, there were some great strategy games from slitherine which does not want to program anymore for iOS because of when the operating system went from 32 to 64 bit slithering software would not run on it anymore and for some reason could not do a upgrade.

http://www.slitherine.com/

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Gaming is one of two areas I don't see apple ever doing well in because their corporate culture just doesn't get it.

Controller based gaming on iOS was a flop because their MFi program required controllers to source specific parts, including switches that were noticeably lower quality than those used in other controllers in those price ranges while also offering less functionality. The program in no way offered benefits to gamers compared to just adding standard drivers or better yet building a system like Valve did with the steam controller API into game centre and letting their users choose the controller they find most comfortable.

The other being TV show production. The feeling I get from apple is they'd even find some of the stuff Disney makes to be too edgy. I don't trust the apple execs taste in what makes good TV. I can see them ending up with the best integrated and useful feature based streaming service on the market but with absolutely sod all worth watching while still being locked down to their own hardware limiting the potential userbase.

The general population disagrees with you based on the success of mobile gaming.

I consider myself a serious PC gamer, but I also like to play mobile games. They are both entertaining in different ways.

More people probably read tweets than novels. It doesn't make them more interesting, just more accessible.

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
The game industry almost as a whole is moving towards free to play that’s supported by yuge in app purchases. This was started by phone gaming and has bled out from there. I’m not even sure there are enough complete games available on the market with no in app purchases to make a gaming sub make sense. It would also need to be heavily curated so it doesn’t turn into thousands of trash downloads that would have been dumped to the 1.99 gaming bin anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.