Apple Now Accepting iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and 6s Plus Trade-Ups, Offers Up to $315

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Following last week's iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus launch, Apple has added the iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus to its trade-up program in the United States, offering estimated trade-in values of $160, $275, and $315 respectively towards the purchase of a new iPhone.

Apple has also lowered its estimated trade-in values for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus by $25 each to $200 and $225 respectively, while the iPhone 5s now scores $90 instead of $125. iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c trade-in values are now $50 and $40 respectively, down from $75 each, and the iPhone 4s is no longer eligible for trade in.

o iPhone 5 - $50
    o iPhone 5c - $40
    o iPhone 5s - $90
    o iPhone SE - $160
    o iPhone 6 - $200
    o iPhone 6 Plus - $225
    o iPhone 6s - $275
    o iPhone 6s Plus - $315

The iPhone trade-up program, not to be confused with the iPhone Upgrade Program, allows customers to trade in their old iPhone to Apple in exchange for credit to lower the full cost of a new iPhone, or to reduce the monthly payments of a carrier financing plan. Trade-in values, managed by third-party vendor Brightstar Corporation, may vary based on the condition of the iPhone traded in. Select Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone devices are also eligible for trade in.

iPhone owners looking to get the best value for their old smartphone should consider selling privately through websites like eBay or Craigslist, but Apple's trade-up program does provide a convenient and safe resale option.

Article Link: Apple Now Accepting iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and 6s Plus Trade-Ups, Offers Up to $315

2. Gooberton macrumors 65816

This is robbery, from An already very greedy company, so your telling me I can get 325 for a phone I paid 1000 for 12 months ago? So nice of you. Yeaaaaaa, no thanks.

3. uk1ee macrumors newbie

uk1ee

I am a BIG fan of Apple but they are becoming such a greedy company. They need to be careful because not today nor next week but people will turn on them, just look how Sony took its eye of the ball

4. Christian 5G, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Ridiculous.

So, I paid $700 +/- last year for my 6s and they're only offering "up to 325". Don't think even a luxury a car losses value that fast in a year.

With how much money they profit, they just want more.

Are they going to sell them with their ways for more expensive ? Who knows...

What is sad is people not knowing or not like us on here with some knowledge will do it.

Greedy bas#%rds.

5. Geert76, Sep 20, 2016

Geert76 macrumors 68000

$315 for a iPhone 6S! hahaha sure, Apple! WTF? I sold mine (64Gb SpaceGrey), 2 weeks ago for €600.

But hey, 'only Apple can do this'!

6. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

I find Brightstar to be very poor with their trade in values.

Over here in the U.K. there's a plethora of recycling companies.

Some offer better values than others and even with the new iPhone one company has offered me £390 for my 6s Plus 64GB.

Apple haven't updated their systems over here yet but I don't envisage them offering anywhere near that as/when they do!

7. Leo90 macrumors 6502

In the UK they are giving 375 pounds for a top spec 6S Plus. Ridiculous!

8. chr1s60, Sep 20, 2016

chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

You are better off selling the phone on eBay or somewhere like that. You can get much better prices than the generic Apple price.

9. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

OMG. Let the spaceship run off before mortgages start piling up...

10. nfilg macrumors member

nfilg

hey Apple! where is the 32GB iPhoneSE model?

11. Supermule macrumors regular

Supermule

Pretty bad deals for the user - you can get double the price in the private market :)

12. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

and I'm thinking to go back to the feature with trading my iPhone 6 for the 5SE

13. BeamWalker macrumors 6502a

BeamWalker

I'd rather glue my phone to my car and boast that my new car tracker security system can also play music.

Apple somehow thinks all their customers can literally piss money.

14. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

You sir, made my day.

15. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I don't understand the pissing and moaning. It's just an offer, which you can take or not. If continued, MacRumors will become a cesspool of complainers instead of fans.

This is very useful for people or companies who do not want the hassle of reselling. I for one am very hesitant to resell. If you put this online in my country, there's a big chance of cheaters mailing and calling you. I've also suddenly had two people showing up instead of one. And then starting haggling out of the agreed price. Some time later, my house got robbed. Coincidence of course, but it doesn't sit well with me.

I wonder, is this program available internationally, or just the United States?

16. eroslws macrumors 6502

Just an FYI, this is a better deal than the current carrier promos if you are on Verizon or Sprint with 2-year contract option and you don't live in CA or RI (those states charge full price tax).

17. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

If 50% yearly is Apple's idea of depreciation, they sell economical junkfood and better start lowering their prices

18. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

It's a good thing that I rather pass down the older electronics to mum and dad, family or just friends.
    I get to update, and they get a perfectly functional device for years to come. :)

19. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

Some big dorks here. Yeah, you can get more selling them yourselves. It's the same as a car. You get less on your trade-in than selling it privately because there's a middleman who wants to profit, too. This is for people who don't feel like going through selling their phones on their own.

20. djgamble macrumors 6502a

You'd only do it for the convenience... at the prices Apple offers you could get ~2x as much by selling it on eBay.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    1. EXACTLY!!! If you don't want it then nobody's forcing you to take it. Go sell your phone for more on eBay. I presume it's better for businesses that have ~500 iPhones, will upgrade each year anyway and are just looking to recoup a bit of dosh without having to go out of their way to sell 500 iPhones.
    2. Yes, I traded in my iPhone 4S when I purchased my iPhone 6. I forgot what I got ($100-$200 I think), but Apple was actually giving the phone to a recycling company that was going to melt it down for raw materials/components. My phone was at the stage where I couldn't get much on eBay anyway (and didn't want to deal with some whinger wanting free tech support if anything went wrong) so I just cashed it in when I bought my 6.

Other thing... many people get their phones 'free' with their plan. If your phone feels 'free' then maybe you forget that it was actually purchased for $1000+? I buy mine outright and use super cheap phone plans (I switch to the best deal available every time one comes - saves me a heap of dosh) so I'm well aware of how much my iPhone cost me.

21. eroslws macrumors 6502

Nope. After sellers fees it's like 30% more or so. That doesn't take into account the hassle of mailing in the iPhone, hoping the person doesn't file a claim or request a refund, or the fact that the Apple credit is instant in-store. There's definitely a convenience fee, but you aren't going to get twice as much on eBay.

22. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Why do they give you nothing for a 4s and a 4?
    The customer paid big money to get one, and they're not worth a single dollar? That's ridiculous.
    Of course you can get more money on ebay for a recent iPhone like 5s or 6, but what about older phones that have a low market value? Apple could give some good money for trade in and that could be a good incentive to bring old devices back, at least for recycling

23. SpyPhone macrumors newbie

SpyPhone

IKR (✿ ◕‿◕) ᓄ✂╰U╯

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No thanks. Those prices are not very competitive, especially being how well I take care of my iPhones and I know what their worth. I will take my chances selling my iPhones outright through private party.

25. keatth macrumors 6502

Apple isn't greedy with this, there's a reason why every trade in company offers a much lower value, some of the phones they get they end up not being able to sell and don't want to take it as a loss so offering what they do helps them equate that