Apple Now Accepting iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and 6s Plus Trade-Ups, Offers Up to $315

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

This isn't even Apple - it's Brightstar, who does all the work and resells the phones for what they can get.

2. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

So an iPhone 5C, with hardware improvements over the iPhone 5, is worth less than the iPhone 5?

And an iPhone 6S, that cost up to $850 just a few days ago will get you $275 in credit?

3. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Two things. Opening up and replacing a battery is difficult on these things. It is a "by hand" activity and it takes a person five to ten minutes even if they are an expert, I think. The cost of the work and repackaging needs to be factored in before talking about Apple making profits. I have no idea how one goes about replacing a case as that would mean taking everything out of the old case. That seems much harder than removing a battery.

Second you cannot just look at current exchange rates. You have to factor in hedging costs and fluctuations in future exchange rates. Canadian dollars are nearly useless to Apple at the volumes that it gets from iPhone sales. After paying the salary and operating costs in Canada (small potatoes) the remaining Canadian dollars need to be converted into US dollars before they can be used for anything big. And last year the Canadian dollar was about 10% cheaper at its weakest than it currently is.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

So don't sell...I suggest you never buy a new car. Everyone wants the iPhone 7, supply and demand states the value of any older phone is worth way less.

5. DeadSeaMac macrumors member

DeadSeaMac

Still enjoying my 64GBs iPhone 5 though I had to buy a refurb from Apple for $79.00 + tax because the battery swelled. Will upgrade next year when my iPhone 5 will be worth $0.00.

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

What country do you live in? I just checked the tradein.att.com website and there they show up to $180 for a 128 GB iP6. No where near $650. If you are getting $650 at AT&T (or Verizon, etc) then I bet that you are also signing on for a two-year commitment as part of the deal with a $500 buy out if you decide to opt out. Not at all the same thing as a credit to buy a free and clear phone that you can upgrade whenever, sell, or give away no strings attached.
    On topic, yeah, Apple and the others show their cheap-o ways when buying things back. But that is the nature of business, they have to be able to make money on the deal, not just tread water. We can sell peer to peer if we want to keep it all. Otherwise, ANY middle man will take a piece.

7. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

HA HA I sold my 6S Plus for 575.00. No thanks apple

8. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

It's better when combined with other offers like Samsung Ultimate Test Drive and Verizon trade-in. I actually made money.

$300 Galaxy Note 5 subsidized loophole upgrade
    -$200 Verizon trade in on any working phone (gave them 2008 HTC Touch Pro)
    -$100 Samsung Ultimate Test Drive for trading in iPhone
    -$100 Samsung Ultimate Test Drive Google Play credit
    -$100 Apple trade in for iPhone 4S

Oh yeah, locked in grandfathered unlimited data pricing for 2 years to avoid $20 per month increase ($480 savings).

9. itsray macrumors 6502

i'll never use them again. i hate the pay pal fee's and then their own fee's. and the person can always screw you over in the end and pay pal takes their side. i'd rather have cash on the spot.

10. LovingTeddy, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

You stil don't get it. Apple set the trade in price in USD. Then it will get converted into CAD. Apple lowered the trade in price for 6S in USD, then directly translated into lower CAD amount. Apple has lowered the trade in price compare with last year'a 6 trade in price. That's all that matters.

Secondly: How difficult is unscrew two screw and use section cup to life the screen? There is adhesive pull tab to pull adhesive. Replace battery literally take 10 minutes to do if you know what you are doing.

11. predation macrumors 65816

12. Johnny907 macrumors 6502a

Johnny907

Phones like that get a minuscule amount compared to fair to mint condition phones that make up the bulk of their trades. Even then, A) these services offer half what you would get selling the phone yourself on Craigslist, eBay or even Swappa, and B) the phones that can't be sold are in fact sold again to other companies that part them out and sell the pieces. There's no money lost anywhere in that ecosystem.

13. eroslws macrumors 6502

Nah. Verizon is giving you $200 for the iPhone 6. The other $450 requires you to use the service for 24 months. In other words, it's a 2-year contract. Want to break it? Then you'll have to pay for the rest of your "3x as much".

14. DaveOP macrumors 65816

That's a bummer that you had a problem. I have always found the prices much higher there, even after fees. Good place to be a seller.

15. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I just checked gazelle.com, and they're offering $264 for a 128 GB iPhone 6S Plus in flawless condition. Apple beats them at $315. However, Apple must have had a special deal going on near the beginning of this year. My wife and I each had an iPhone 5 (the 5, not the 5S -- hers 16 GB, mine 32 GB), and Apple was offering $250 each to trade up to a 6S or 6S Plus. That was $50 more than the going rate on eBay, and far more than gazelle.com was offering. As I recall, sales of the 6S and 6S Plus were slow in January. We were going to hang onto our iPhone 5's one more year, but that deal was too good to pass up. We each upgraded to a 128 GB 6S Plus. Right now, sales of the iPhone 7 are strong, so Apple has no incentive to offer more money for a trade-in. You might want to wait until January and see if there's a sales slump -- in which case, Apple might offer a better trade-in deal.

16. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

If you already have Verizon, and you're paying them for service anyway, and you're not going anywhere, then they ARE giving you $650. Granted, it's over the next 2 years but, so what? Not everyone jumps from one carrier to the next.

17. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

What do you mean? It "saved customers a step" last year too, so why should it be different this year? And do you really think Apple only realized they can get away with this sort of thing now?

As others have pointed out, it's just an offer and no one is compelled to take it. However, I think it's telling that Apple considers their products to be worth less this year than last. It speaks of a glut of supply and/or lack of demand IMO.

18. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

You do realize that Apple is not taking in your device.
    Its a third party called bright star.
    Apple doesn't resell trade ins.

19. Gooberton macrumors 65816

You must be joking , Apple gets their piece of the pie

20. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    They get their piece by their customers purchasing a device in their stores.

21. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

All none US dollar pricing also includes Apple's view as to future exchange rates with the U.S. dollar because they are going to try to stick with that foreign currency price for a full year. Apple probably also hedges fluctuations against the U.S. dollar for currencies (like the Canadian dollar) which they receive in vastly larger quantities than they have need to do in spending in that currency. I wonder how much they hedge Chinese Renminbi because they may pay some of their vast numbers of huge Chinese suppliers in Renminbi. Apple probably spends much more in China than it makes from selling its products in China. Though my guess is that the big contracts are all priced in U.S. dollars.

As to the second point, 10 minutes is a long time. I hope Apple can replace a battery faster than that. But to the extent they are refurbishing the phone, there might be a lot of stuff they are doing to clean it up. I don't know. They may be shipping them off to someone else to do this sort of work and to sell them in some way unassociated with Apple directly.
    Well I won't disagree that it is telling. And I suspect we will see a drop in iPhone prices in the secondary market as well. Maybe Apple is predicting that. But no, Apple didn't know how many people would take advantage of this trade in. And I suspect Apple is figuring out how much work it takes to get value out of these phones that it gets back.
    I'd forgotten this. But yes, this is a key point. Apple flips these phones to Bright Star at a profit from the credit they give to customers. Then Bright Star has to package and resell them and make a profit. Bright Star may be worried about prices in the secondary market. I've said it before, you can get a decently functional smartphone from Amazon for $60 right now running Android 6.0. Android prices are falling and I suspect they are going to fall through the floor in 2017.

22. Tech198 macrumors G5

$200 for iphone 6 seems low,, i can do better.

I wish Brightstar or Apple could price match with companies like Gazelle, Boomerangbuyback here in Australia, seems people may be disappointed they could of got $100 or so extra in their pocket if they checked these prior.

Takes a bit longer, but the less convenience in this case is worth it. I don't think i've ever used Apple's trade in programs, only to compare alone.

23. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Haha I sold my 64 GB 6S Plus for nearly $600 yesterday on Swappa.

Apple doesn't even offer higher prices for a higher storage device. Weak.

24. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

I think people forget that Apple could just not offer trade ins at all.
    Like I said, trade ins are completely handled by a third party company.
    Apple does not sell reburbished trade ins.
    The refurbished genius bar replacements come from units that that failed QA before leaving the factory.

25. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

But their recycle credit is also much lower than top tier. The "up to" is for devices in "nearly new" condition, not for devices in "ok" condition.