Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6s-Colors-250x345.jpg
Two weeks after launching an iPhone 6s battery repair program, Apple has released a tool that allows iPhone 6s owners to check whether their device is affected by the problem.

An updated page for the iPhone 6s program includes an option to enter a serial number to determine whether an iPhone 6s is eligible for a free battery replacement.

A small number of iPhone 6s models manufactured between September and October of 2015 have a faulty battery, which can cause the iPhone 6s to unexpectedly shut down.

Devices that fall into the eligible manufacturing date will be able to receive a new battery from Apple at no charge should they exhibit the unexpected shutdown issue. Devices must be in good working condition to receive a battery replacement -- Apple won't swap it out if there's an issue like a cracked screen that could impair the battery replacement.

iPhone 6s owners with an eligible device can visit an Apple retail store, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or call Apple Support for assistance with the issue. Customers who have already paid to have their iPhone 6s batteries replaced can receive reimbursement from Apple for the repair costs.

Article Link: Apple Now Lets You Check Your iPhone 6s Serial Number to See if You're Eligible for a New Battery

Reactions: MareLuce

EvanMax

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
Hopefully they expand this to 6s Plus soon. Both My phone and my wife's phone are having these issues (at 10% for me, at 14% for her) but even though my serial number has a "QD" in it it apparently doesn't pass this screen (I'm guessing because of the "plus" factor.)

Both phones were day one deliveries, so early production models.

Sylvan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
California
Strange that they didn't let you look it up before without going to the Apple Store. I took mine in last weekend and found out I was eligible. Still waiting for the new battery to be in stock.

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
So...I don't recall ever having a random shut down issue with my 6s, but I rarely let it get below 20% before charging it. However, my serial number shows as eligible. Should I still take it to be replaced?

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Mine says it's already been replaced but it hasn't

You sure you read that right.

"The serial number you entered is not eligible under this program because either:
- It's not one of the serial numbers in the affected range
OR
- Our records show that your battery has already been replaced. If you paid for a battery replacement service, check with Apple to see if you are eligible for a refund."

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
They need to do this for the original 6 too. Not just the S. I have two in the family, orignal 6, that exhibit the exact same behavior they are replacing these batteries for.

My 6 does this too. Just turned off at 36%. Plug it in and it's back to normal...for a while...but apples battery test says it's fine so I can't do anything about it!

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
This was a serious issue with my 5; before I managed to get its battery replaced under a repair program it would shut off as early as 50%
And I've had the same issue (less often, and not as bad, but I'm sure it will get worse) with my 6S Plus but it's not eligible. I'm assuming because it was manufactured later (I got it in February 2016), but it still happens. Hopefully before it gets worse they extend the program...

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
So...I don't recall ever having a random shut down issue with my 6s, but I rarely let it get below 20% before charging it. However, my serial number shows as eligible. Should I still take it to be replaced?
I'm in the same boat.

_themilkman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Madness. My phone doesn't have this issue at all but is eligible for the programme, but my partners phone (which dies at 25-29% every day) isn't.

Reactions: LiveM

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
This is an issue that affects 6S Plus handsets manufactured around the same time also.

Hopefully today's Apple will (eventually) do something about it..hopefully

Reactions: Aethelwulf

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I had an appointment today for my day one iPhone 6S Plus for this issue. I was extremely disappointed that the store would not replace the battery despite having exactly the same issue as described. My phone usually turns off between 8-15% but sometimes as high as 35-40%. It began exhibiting this issue a couple of months ago, literally just after the warranty expired. I expected that this program was an acknowledgement that the issue exists, but I was simply told the issue only affects the 6S and not the 6S Plus. Take it from me - the issue affects both models.

lwatson99

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
UK
My 6 does this too. Just turned off at 36%. Plug it in and it's back to normal...for a while...but apples battery test says it's fine so I can't do anything about it!

I recommend a program called CoconutBattery (for Mac) or iBackupBot (Windows). These carry out a 'battery poll' which gives you in depth information such as cycle count and the current capacity etc, something I've found extremely useful before getting a new battery!.

nceo

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
So, mine is one of these phones too. Does this mean I get a free battery-replacement for sure or could it be that they won't take it after a battery-test at the apple store?

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
I bought my 6s back in early September 2016 and it's eligible for the program. I haven't had any issues but might as well get the battery replaced.

amcomis

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Why does Apple say they have to clear all data to prepare for the battery change? Does it replace the whole unit?

Reactions: ctdonath

Cirlonde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
I'm in the same boat.

My battery life is definitely much less than it used to be when the phone was new, so I'd love to get a new battery. But at the same time...if I'm not having the problem, I feel a little guilty to try to take advantage of the replacement program. But it's not like Apple doesn't get plenty of my money, haha!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This would be convenient for those who also are affected with Touch Disease as well.

I don't know if there's any specific defective serial numbers for that. Seems to be just luck of the draw.
[doublepost=1480615059][/doublepost]
Apple - "touch disease does not exist, this isn't the problem you're looking for....." View attachment 675618

They have acknowledged it and started doing repairs for affected devices, and there's apparently a refund system in place for those who had already paid to get it repaired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.