Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I’m confused what this is, could someone explain in simple terms what this is, my Apple ID is ending with Gmail will this effect me? I’m guessing this isn’t letting us change our iCloud email address?

You don’t have to do anything. I’m using an old gmail account as well. What Apple is letting you do now is change that to one of your Apple email accounts. This wasn’t possible before for some reason.

You don’t have to do anything at all, just leave it Gmail if you desire.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I’m confused what this is, could someone explain in simple terms what this is, my Apple ID is ending with Gmail will this effect me? I’m guessing this isn’t letting us change our iCloud email address?
Yeah now I have no idea what this accomplishes. Cause I sign out and go on Apple’s site. Follow the instructions to change my yahoo email to an Apple ID. And then get a message saying I can’t use that email to create an Apple ID.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Off topic somewhat, but one thing I don't understand about Apple authentication is that with two factor authentication, I frequently get the numeric code required as the second factor ON the device I'm logging in from. This seems like it defeats the purpose entirely.

Anybody else seeing this? It started after iOS 11.

Reactions: katbel and sphexx

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
You don’t have to do anything. I’m using an old gmail account as well. What Apple is letting you do now is change that to one of your Apple email accounts. This wasn’t possible before for some reason.

You don’t have to do anything at all, just leave it Gmail if you desire.
Okay gotcha :) was hoping we could change our iCloud email address when we created an AppleID I hate my iCloud email that I used gmail lol

Reactions: iapplelove

gazingdown

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Ok, maybe I’m stupid.

But when I first started it was with an iPhone, and back then I used a @ gmail account. My the time I changed over to (MobileMe) iCloud, I’ve bought to much, so I did not want to rebuy everything.

So now I have one iCloud account, that obviously is @ icloud, and five other on my family sharing plan, and one @ gmail account that only used in iTunes and AppStore.

So will this solve my problem, and give me the possibility to transfer all my bought items over to @ icloud And will it in any other way affect my @ icloud account?

Any helpful response is much appreciated!
Exactly what I want to know, I am in the same position (albeit with a yahoo e-mail addr). iTunes/AppStore purchase through this Apple ID. I also have a @me/iCloud Apple ID (which I use for everything else) which I would want these purchased/iTunes Match etc. to all go through....

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
How can one verify a "@mac.com" address?
[doublepost=1509497724][/doublepost]I have a bad feeling about this when someone makes a mistake and looses access of their account.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have username accounts and Apple gave me the option to change it to emails but it won’t let me merge it with my iCloud account.

Reactions: jimthing

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Exactly what I want to know, I am in the same position (albeit with a yahoo e-mail addr). iTunes/AppStore purchase through this Apple ID. I also have a @me/iCloud Apple ID (which I use for everything else) which I would want these purchased/iTunes Match etc. to all go through....

Yup. I got my iTunes account before my Mac account, and for years I've wanted to merge the two together so I can have a single login for both iCloud and iTunes. Hmmmm...

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Not sure whats wrong, I use an obsolete hotmail account as my Apple ID but when I try to change it to my current @icloud.com email address I get an error saying I cannot have an Apple ID ending with icloud.com..

Maybe it’s not active yet? Try again tomorrow.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
How about an Apple ID in the form of "Firstname LastName". No email just a fist and last name with a space?

tatsumi

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2015
Hm, doesn't work for me. It says I can choose to switch to an existing Apple ID, but it doesn't show any list of available ones and when I type something in ending in @icloud, I just get

Your Apple ID cannot end in @icloud.com. Choose a different email address.

Is this feature not pushed yet?

Reactions: wolfshades and LDNA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.