Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in November announced a new App Store Small Business Program that lowers App Store fees for small business owners and independent developers to 15 percent, down from the standard 30 percent. The program is set to launch on January 1, 2021, and as of today, eligible developers are able to sign up.

app-store-15-percent-feature.jpg

Apple has launched an App Store Small Business Program website that has all of the information that developers need to know, along with signup tools. The program is open to all developers who earn less than $1 million from the App Store in a calendar year, which applies to 98 percent of developers, according to a recent analysis.

When initially announcing the program, Apple promised to provide developers with more information, and has today done so through the App Store Small Business Program website. The site walks through the basics of how it works, answering questions about eligibility, app transfers, payouts, and more.

The 15 percent fee applies to paid app purchases, in-app purchases, and subscription fees, and this year, all developers who earned under $1 million from the App Store in 2020 are able to qualify for the program. Developers new to the App Store will also be able to participate.

Notably, today's information clarifies that the $1 million total applies to Associated Developer Accounts.
To participate in the program, you and your Associated Developer Accounts must have earned no more than 1 million USD in total proceeds (sales net of Apple's commission and certain taxes and adjustments) during the 12 fiscal months occurring within the 2020 calendar year, and have earned no more than 1 million USD during the current year.
It also says that app transfers are not allowed while participating in the program. Any app transfer initiated after December 31, 2020 makes a developer ineligible to participate in the program.

Apple says that developers should submit their enrollment by December 18, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time to receive program benefits by January 1, 2021. More information can be found on Apple's site.

Article Link: Apple Now Letting Developers Enroll for Reduced 15% App Store Fees

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
The fact that you have to enroll in this when clearly they could instantly run a report and decide who pays what rate is ridiculous.

Ridiculous? No, it's not. The terms and conditions have changed and the applicant must agree to them. Not a biggie. Though I suspect some here will believe there's something nefarious going on.

Comment

mannyvel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
So for those enrolled, does the 15% apply to the $$ under $1m USD and the 30% applies to all monies after that? Or do you get bumped up to 30% once you hit $1,000,001?

Reactions: spicy_tonkotsu
Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Ridiculous? No, it's not. The terms and conditions have changed and the applicant must agree to them. Not a biggie. Though I suspect some here will believe there's something nefarious going on.

No, it really is ridiculous.
You have to apply to earn more, if you fall under a threshold.
Apple knows your sales, they know the threshold.

There is absolutely no reason you should need to apply for anything.

They change their agreement terms ALL the time. This is nothing special.

I guarantee you if you if they change something that makes more money in THEIR favor, they aren't going to make you apply for it before it kicks in.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
No, it really is ridiculous.
You have to apply to earn more, if you fall under a threshold.
Apple knows your sales, they know the threshold.

There is absolutely no reason you should need to apply for anything.

They change their agreement terms ALL the time. This is nothing special.

I guarantee you if you if they change something that makes more money in THEIR favor, they aren't going to make you apply for it before it kicks in.

So you're saying the terms and conditions of the program have not changed? And therefore does not require your express acceptance of them? Seriously? Apple would be foolish going forward without the acceptance of the new terms and conditions from those in the program.

The good news is, if there are developers who do not wish to be bound by the new terms and conditions they can refuse to accept and not be a developer. Easy.

Comment

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
So you're saying the terms and conditions of the program have not changed? And therefore does not require your express acceptance of them? Seriously?

Way to put words in my mouth.
I said they change the terms and conditions ALL THE TIME. They don't force developers to re-enroll their apps when they do, their terms of service says you automatically accept those changes.

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Way to put words in my mouth.
I said they change the terms and conditions ALL THE TIME. They don't force developers to re-enroll their apps when they do, their terms of service says you automatically accept those changes.

Not a problem. If you find the process too onerous, simply do nothing.

As an aside, a developer up above said it took one minute to enroll. I suspect he/she was motivated going forward, rather than complaining about the process.

Comment

Macropanda

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
wont even let me find the agreement to accept it. every time I try it just goes back to the main page.

Comment

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Does anyone think the crushed App Store icon is some pretty slick editing?

View attachment 1685937
Side note, I’ve always had an issue with the new App Store icon because of some pixels that bulge out-

Reactions: macintoshmac
Comment

macintoshmac

macrumors 603
May 13, 2010
Y’all are annoying. Stop your complaining and just apply. Apple didn’t have to offer anything to begin with.

It most certainly had to if it had to get people off its back and keep the developer community happy. Developers can still make or break Apple.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is particularly evil on Apple's part.

Apple wants to play up how 98% of people qualify, but they're banking on 90% of developers not knowing/bothering to apply.

They want to appear to be great and moral, getting all the good PR from this and looking like a better company than Epic, but this won't have a noticeable impact on Apple's app store revenue. The 2% of apps that make all the money can't apply at all, and most of the rest will probably neglect/forget to fill out this form to get the money back. These procedures are trivial for companies with legal departments. Independent developers who make iOS apps as a side gig, on the other hand, are much more likely to forget.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
So for those enrolled, does the 15% apply to the $$ under $1m USD and the 30% applies to all monies after that? Or do you get bumped up to 30% once you hit $1,000,001?
Once you hit 1,000,001 you get bumped into the 30% bracket and that’s where you remain for the next year. If you then fall below 1,000,000 you can re-apply. Which will be interesting for developers hovering around the million mark near the end of the year. Seems more complicated than necessary but that’s because if Apple simply said the first million for every developer was 15% they would lose a lot more money. This is good PR and excludes the developers that provide 95%+ services revenues for Apple.

This is particularly evil on Apple's part.

Apple wants to play up how 98% of people qualify, but they're banking on 90% of developers not knowing/bothering to apply.

They want to appear to be great and moral, getting all the good PR from this and looking like a better company than Epic, but this won't have a noticeable impact on Apple's app store revenue. The 2% of apps that make all the money can't apply at all, and most of the rest will probably neglect/forget to fill out this form to get the money back. These procedures are trivial for companies with legal departments. Independent developers who make iOS apps as a side gig, on the other hand, are much more likely to forget.

I wouldn’t say it’s evil but I would say it’s PR more than anything else. I do think it makes it harder for Apple to justify the 30%. And that the commission/fee/tax is less about covering the costs of running the App Store and more about Apple thinking it’s entitled to a cut of other people’s business. What’s ironic though is the developers that rely on Apple for customer acquisition the most are probably the ones who will now be in the 15% bracket.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.