Apple Now Offering $2,600 8TB SSD Upgrade Option for Mac Pro

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When the Mac Pro was released on December 10, Apple promised that an 8TB SSD option would be available in the near future, and as of today, it's possible to choose the 8TB upgrade option when customizing a Mac Pro on Apple's site.

The 8TB SSD upgrade option is priced at $2,600 when adding it to the base Mac Pro model, which ships with a 256GB SSD. The previous top tier SSD was a 4TB upgrade that cost $1,400.

It's not entirely clear why Apple needed to delay the 8TB SSD storage option for the Mac Pro as it became available just a little over a week after the Mac Pro launched.

Apple has also promised that Radeon Pro W5700X and dual Radeon Pro W5700X GPU options are also coming soon, but those did not get released along with the 8TB SSD upgrade option.

(Thanks, Yossi!)

Article Link: Apple Now Offering $2,600 8TB SSD Upgrade Option for Mac Pro

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Really odd they didn’t offer it on launch day. If selected, ship time would just be longer.

Tim Cooke’s Apple is great in so many ways, but the product stuff is an peculiar beast nowadays.

Passingby

Suspended
Dec 17, 2019
Apple 2TB SSD. Read/Write speed 2800/2500 MB/s. $800 upgrade on top of the 256GB SSD they will not subtract the value of when it is replaced. So about $900 for 2TB.

WD SN750 2TB SSD. Read/Write speeds 3500/2900 MB/s. Bought one for $270 new.

Not even going to mention those cRaZy PCIE 4.0 drives.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
That was so quick it almost feels like they should have allowed people to order with 8TB and just have their delivery dates delayed by a week or so.
I'm thinking it may have had to do with pricing. Maybe they didn't know how much they were going to get them for, and didn't know how much to charge customers.

Yeah, I’m not getting exactly why you would even want your boot drive to be 8TB (and locked down because of the t2 and all)
Same here, but there are some out there who don't want to be bothered (or don't have the time to worry about it) with installing their own hardware. Granted, it's how I make money on my side-gigs, but it still baffles my mind.

chucker23n1

macrumors 601
Dec 7, 2014
Really odd they didn’t offer it on launch day. If selected, ship time would just be longer.

Tim Cooke’s Apple is great in so many ways, but the product stuff is an peculiar beast nowadays.
Unusual, but makes sense to me. Think of it this way: there was no Mac Pro update for over 2,000 days. Delaying the entire product (and risking it be delayed all the way to 2020) just to get some less typical options it just didn't seem clever. So they communicated from the get-go that many options are available from day one, and some more will be available in the coming weeks and months.
- - Post merged: - -

Given TB3 speeds (up to 40Gb/s), wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy a 4TB SSD and drop it into an external enclosure?
Yes, or just stick an NVMe PCIe card in there.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Given TB3 speeds (up to 40Gb/s), wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy a 4TB SSD and drop it into an external enclosure?
Yes...I agree, but then what's the point of having a big tower case if you have to hang external storage off it.
What's not clear to me is how easy it is to add internal storage that isn't the boot drive. What slots are there for this? Are there any *internal* TB3 ports?

Yes, or just stick an NVMe PCIe card in there.
Ah. OK - so how much space is there for things like this?

cBraunDesign

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I'm thinking it may have had to do with pricing. Maybe they didn't know how much they were going to get them for, and didn't know how much to charge customers.
The only reason I would say this is not the case is because it's the exact same price as the 8TB option in the 16" MacBook Pro. $2200 more than the 1TB drive.

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The only reason I would say this is not the case is because it's the exact same price as the 8TB option in the 16" MacBook Pro. $2200 more than the 1TB drive.
It is. But who's to say Apple used the same supplier or didn't work to get the price down for shipping?

In the end it'll all be speculation until Apple tells us.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68030
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Yes...I agree, but then what's the point of having a big tower case if you have to hang external storage off it.
What's not clear to me is how easy it is to add internal storage that isn't the boot drive. What slots are there for this? Are there any *internal* TB3 ports?

Ah. OK - so how much space is there for things like this?
The Mac Pro has 8 PCIe slots and 2-3 of these are the most feasible for use with a PCIe carrier board and adding your own NVMe drives, or something like the Intel 905p, which is a PCIe x4 card.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
Yeah, I’m not getting exactly why you would even want your boot drive to be 8TB (and locked down because of the t2 and all)
8K video cameras are more common now and the bit rates are insane. For most editing tasks you’ll be throttled by how quickly you can access the disk instead of processing performance.

That YouTube review with 16 4K videos merged into a single video and played in real time? You’re not going to pull that off with a $500 SSD.

These drives are 3x faster than 10GbE so network storage can’t compete. Other internal drives with similar speeds might actually be more expensive - though it’s hard to tell because everyone advertises their write cache buffer speed instead of their sustained write speed - the buffer typically typically fills up in a couple seconds of sustained write activity.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors 604
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Thats not bad at all, that’s considerably less than what Dell charges for enterprise SSDs.
It has the same deltas for every capacity upgrade as any other Mac, the 4—> 8TB upgrade for the 16” MBP is $1,200.

From 256GB, it’s 512GB +$200, 1TB +$400, 2TB +$800, 4TB +$1,400, 8TB +$2,600

re: Dell, they charge $47,064—after the 30% perma-discount (full price is more than $67,000) for the 1.5TB, 128GB x 12 RAM upgrade.

Apple charges $25,000.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
A couple things I want to know.

We know from teardowns that there are 2 NVMe slots and it uses the same bespoke modules as the iMac Pro.

1) Is the 8TB option a pair of 4TB NVMe drives (as opposed to 1 8TB module)? and if so, is it running in RAID 0? If so, then I can see having 8TB of SSD running at near PCIe 4.0 speeds (~5GB/sec) for a main work partition as desirable for heaving duty processing.

2) Are these NVMe SSD drives using MLC or TLC NAND cahips? Right now, only Samsung's 9x0 Pro drives are left using MLC NAND chips, which have more durability and are correspondingly more expensive. Given the "PRO" focus, I would hope so.

Right now, the only 4TB M.2 NVMe drive I can find retails around $700. If Samsung made an 970 Evo 4TB version, it would retail around $1000.

That makes the "Apple Tax" not too bad IMHO. Using MLC NAND is more expensive (because it needs more NAND chips), so if is this a "PRO" drive and uses MLC, the cost of 8TB becomes downright reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.