Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruzifer

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Could anyone help? I’m with AT&T and want to sign up for the payment plan but also the AT&T Next Up for $5 extra month so I can upgrade very year.
However when I use the Apple store app it doesn’t give that option. I can choose payment plan, Apple care and that’s it. So maybe I should just order through AT&Ts app at launch?

ppenguin

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Any idea how to fix this error?

it has been doing it the last week even before the preapporval started for the max.

Called apple and they said go to the store. When I call the store they tell me to call apple. In my account it shows I am on the upgrade program and I’ve made my 12 payments
4D8BE271-A1DC-4723-A065-8146379EA1AC.png

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Thank you for this. Was AppleCare+ still active on the phone you kept, despite not trading it in? The Apple Store app screen seems to imply that AppleCare+ is canceled if the phone isn't returned.
I don't believe that to be the case. The monthly payment covers the cost of the phone and AppleCare. If I continue to pay out the loan then IMO AppleCare should apply to the device. To be honest I have never confirmed that with Apple but if you're concerned definitely reach out to them to find out.

Reactions: MMcCraryNJ

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Could anyone help? I’m with AT&T and want to sign up for the payment plan but also the AT&T Next Up for $5 extra month so I can upgrade very year.
However when I use the Apple store app it doesn’t give that option. I can choose payment plan, Apple care and that’s it. So maybe I should just order through AT&Ts app at launch?
To sign up for AT&T's upgrade program you have to do that directly with AT&T. The Apple Store app might let you sign up for Apple's IUP but not for a provider's program. Dial 611 to reach AT&T service and they should be able to sign you up.

NWYDA

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
I'm still getting an error verifying with Verizon. They have escalated to their network team. I'm also seeing the issue where I cannot assign account manager through the MyVerizon app on the phone wherever it works fine through the web browser on my laptop - seems related. I'll keep you posted. If you're also having this issue, I'd suggest calling their technical support team at (866) 221-4096.

JFR0317

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Houston
I tried multiple times yesterday to get pre-approved for the iPhone upgrade and couldn't get past the carrier confirmation step with Verizon that others have also experienced. I tried again this morning and was able to get through the entire process successfully.

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
If you completed it and got the email that said "You're ready..." then you're all set. Since I had to unfreeze my credit for my wife's pre-order of the 12 Pro my guess is that they do credit report every 2-3 years for your account.
Thanks for the confirmation!

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
$60 a month is ridiculous! Nope
I'm assuming you're talking about the iPhone 12 Pro Max with 256 GB? The monthly payment is $58.25 for 24 months, which is exactly the price of the phone plus AppleCare if you were to buy it in one shot. If you didn't want AppleCare then for sure the IUP is not for you.

What the upgrade program allows is the ability to move to the next phone model after 12 months of payments. Of course you can do this yourself if you would rather buy the phone outright and then sell it to move to the next phone. For me, I much rather the convenience of just getting a new phone shipped to me every year and shipping the old one back. I'm basically "leasing" a phone from Apple at $xx a month – varies by phone model – that includes Apple Care. Worth it for me since I like to change my phone every year and not have to deal with selling it.

Reactions: CVUSA and DotCom2

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I'm assuming you're talking about the iPhone 12 Pro Max with 256 GB? The monthly payment is $58.25 for 24 months, which is exactly the price of the phone plus AppleCare if you were to buy it in one shot. If you didn't want AppleCare then for sure the IUP is not for you.

What the upgrade program allows is the ability to move to the next phone model after 12 months of payments. Of course you can do this yourself if you would rather buy the phone outright and then sell it to move to the next phone. For me, I much rather the convenience of just getting a new phone shipped to me every year and shipping the old one back. I'm basically "leasing" a phone from Apple at $xx a month – varies by phone model – that includes Apple Care. Worth it for me since I like to change my phone every year and not have to deal with selling it.
What do you pay upfront to be in this program? What happens if I end up wanting to keep the phone instead of getting the 'iPhone 13', keep making payments until paid in full? Once in the program and you decide 12 months later you want new phone at launch, do you just preorder like everyone else?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
What do you pay upfront to be in this program? What happens if I end up wanting to keep the phone instead of getting the 'iPhone 13', keep making payments until paid in full? Once in the program and you decide 12 months later you want new phone at launch, do you just preorder like everyone else?
NO cost upfront, yes and yes.

Reactions: Gix1k

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I forgot to mention that you pay the taxes up front if you consider that as an upfront cost.
Thanks! My dilemma is I have the 11 Pro Max and I'd hate to get a hard credit pull and wind up realizing it's not the big of an upgrade and returning it. Whereas pay the $1100, return it and walk away fine.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
IIRC, what you pay up front is the tax amount on the phone and one month's payment, but don't quote me on that! If you want to keep the phone, just keep paying it off until you get to 24 months, then the phone is yours. If you do opt for a new phone, you get a new loan. If you return the old phone, the old loan closes, which is how returning the old phone is optional. You probably could just pay off the loan in bulk and then sell the phone, too, I suppose. If you do return it, Apple ships you a box and instructions for resetting it.

Yes, I did get pre-approval like everyone else through the app and will pre-order through the app at the same time as everyone else but IUP members see a different purchase flow that indicates we are buying as part of the upgrade plan. Whether or not there's actually any material difference behind the scenes is unknown. Do IUP members have different device allocation? No idea. Perhaps others know.

Reactions: Gix1k

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I did this process last night, I wasn’t wanting to join the yearly upgrade program but if I did want to I never seen that option on any screen. I did the Graphite Pro Max on Verizon and monthly payments on my Apple Card. Everything went smooth and I got my XS Max listed for a trade in which gave me $370 off, very happy with that amount. Now to hit order on Friday at 8am.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Trying to go through this process ... but I don't seem to be offered the Pro Max as an option. It keeps wanting me to pick a phone to purchase, and the only options are the 12 and the non-Max Pro.

Blackbird77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Trying to go through this process ... but I don't seem to be offered the Pro Max as an option. It keeps wanting me to pick a phone to purchase, and the only options are the 12 and the non-Max Pro.

Pick the non-Max Pro, then you'll be given the option to pick the 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I did this process last night, I wasn’t wanting to join the yearly upgrade program but if I did want to I never seen that option on any screen. I did the Graphite Pro Max on Verizon and monthly payments on my Apple Card. Everything went smooth and I got my XS Max listed for a trade in which gave me $370 off, very happy with that amount. Now to hit order on Friday at 8am.

You can’t do the iPhone upgrade program with a trade in. It won’t give you the option if you say you have a device to trade in.

Reactions: Resqu2 and CVUSA

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I tried to get preapproved today for an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I'm currently part of the Apple Upgrade Program with Citizens and have made more than 12 payments as I got the iPhone 11 Pro last year on release day. However, I get the following error on the step to find my load:

It looks like you're not enrolled

I then contacted Apple Chat and was told someone would call me with experience on this issue. After getting transferred to another person on the phone (3 people total including chat) I was told that I cannot preorder the iPhone 12 Pro Max until tomorrow...11/6 (tomorrow is 11/5). Lol.

I kept telling the person on the phone that I was trying to do the preapproval but they kept saying I would have to wait until tomorrow for preordering...

:rolleyes:

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
I keep getting an error on the Confirm Your Carrier step trying to enroll in the IUP for the first time. This is Verizon and I'm trying to do it from my iPhone 12 Pro. Probably related to similar issues others are having from their recently activated new devices.

Attachments

• D446D31B-638A-4AE1-850A-45258A9AA5CB.jpeg
    D446D31B-638A-4AE1-850A-45258A9AA5CB.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.