Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
Just got a shipment notice for my replacement nano - checked the serial number and it comes up at a 6th generation nano with warranty up til 12/18/12. Here's hoping that the serial number registration is accurate! I wish mine was shipping out of Reno (as I'm in CA), but mine is shipping out of PA. Will get here just in time for Christmas :)

One of Apple's largest warehouses is like 10 miles down the road from us in Carlisle PA. I know a few people who work there and it is mainly used to store refurbs. When I ordered my wifes MBA refurb it came from there.

I submitted my request over a month ago and just got my envelope yesterday....odd part was it came from that warehouse:confused: The return address is the same. The bad part is the people I know there say they never see the products.....just lots of white boxes LOL

uptherighttree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
i hope i get a 6G

i got to having my nano because i swapped it for a shuffle that i was given as a gift but didn't like it.

so if i get the upgrade based on the shuffle i started on i'll be a happy chappy :D

OzPeter

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Grrrrrrrr

Anyone want to buy a used, sweat stained arm band that suits an iPod nano??

If Steve was still around I'd be tempted to send it straight to him. Any ideas where I should send it now? :D

And one of the reasons both my wife and I did not upgrade to later versions of the nano was that the dropped things like the address book. :mad:

Edit .. but on thinking about it some more .. getting an FM radio is going to be nice.

I think my initial reaction is more that it feels like a bait and switch. If Apple ha said up front that it was likely to be replacing my old, favourite Nano with the latest model then I would not feel almost angry/betrayed as I do now. I had hoped that with a new battery that the clone of my constant companion would have lasted for several years more.

Last edited:

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
NOOOOOOO

I want my bloody first gen nano back!!! I've logged so many Nike+ miles with that little trooper. Rain and shine.

I don't want a damn touch screen on a device strictly used for running :(

lol yeah that does suck hard. The click wheel is awesome for runners. Ive had the click wheel nanos just for running for a long long time..Beautifully made for it....Touch screens would be a shocker to use..Good luck!

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
To be fair, I don't think Apple ever stated that it would be a "like for like" replacement, but simply a "replacement unit". The language they use and the small print no doubt covers them and provides them with the flexibility to meet the demand by any means.

You need to remember that they are doing this at no charge and nobody was forced to send back their prized 1st gen Nano.

Me, well I'll be happy with whatever turns up in the post... whenever that might be.

I know, maybe i'll get one of each as I have sent back two! :D

padmasana

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2006
i hope not

I sent in two and I really want first generation replacements. Otherwise, I would have never sent them in. Yeck.

nickofari

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
NOOOOOOO

I want my bloody first gen nano back!!! I've logged so many Nike+ miles with that little trooper. Rain and shine.

I'll make a deal with you. If you get a new/6th gen, and they replace my first gen with a refurbed first gen, I'll swap with you...

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
I think my initial reaction is more that it feels like a bait and switch. If Apple ha said up front that it was likely to be replacing my old, favourite Nano with the latest model then I would not feel almost angry/betrayed as I do now. I had hoped that with a new battery that the clone of my constant companion would have lasted for several years more.

Betrayed? Please, it's a voluntary exchange program for a consumer electronics device, not a cheating spouse. Bait and switch? That's saying you went to buy a used car and they day you picked it up you were expecting a 1992 Toyota Corolla and instead they gave you a 2012 Corolla.

As some one else has stated, Apple never specified that you would be getting a 1-for-1 swap with a "new" 1st gen iPod nano. All they said was that you would get a replacement unit, which for all anyone knew could have been an iPod touch. They clearly weren't expecting that many people with perfectly working iPods to send it in for a replacement, so they ran out of whatever stock of 1st gens and now they're pulling from inventory somewhere else.

I get that people develop a connection to their devices, but if it was a matter of an engraving or some other factor with sentimental value, you shouldn't have sent it in because Apple stated up front that it wouldn't be reproduced on the replacement.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
According to serial lookup, I have a 6th Gen on its way, which is what I want. I had not used my 1st Gen Nano that much since getting my first iPhone but the new Nano on a watch strap will be a whole new world of fun, convenience (and cheap advertising for Apple). I'm really looking forward to receiving it tomorrow.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
Don't forget, it's not awesome until someone actually get one. Until then, everyone is guessing. You might as well just sit back and wait for some proof.

OzPeter

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Betrayed? Please, it's a voluntary exchange program for a consumer electronics device, not a cheating spouse. Bait and switch? That's saying you went to buy a used car and they day you picked it up you were expecting a 1992 Toyota Corolla and instead they gave you a 2012 Corolla.

To quote from iPod Nano Replacement it says
Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.
So while it is a voluntary replacement, it has been framed in the context of "You're potentially in for a world of hurt if you don't do as we suggest".

While the text of the announcement does not say you will be getting like for like, it does nothing to suggest the opposite either and you are left to your own assumptions. So given that I have had my nano for over 6 years (and have not upgraded because it does exactly what I want a music player to do) my expectations/assumptions when Apple says "replacement unit" are that I will get a replacement unit.

If Apple had said "replaced by the same or similar" then that would have evoked a different response from me. But given that Apple should know how attached their customers are to their products I am surprised at the lack of understanding on Apples part. I'll also admit that part of my response is finding out from a 3rd party website things that I should have found out directly from Apple.

In addition the newer Nano's are a downgrade in at least two important (to me) areas of functionality over the original. The click wheel, and dropping the address book (although I am thankful that I am not getting a 2nd,3rd,4th or 5th gen :D )

I'll agree that Apple seems to have suffered from an oversubscription to this replacement scheme which may have forced their hand - however given the way the scheme was framed they should have been able to better predict the response. Both my wife and I registered our respective iPods on the same day, yet she got her shipping materials 4 weeks sooner than me. She also got an acknowledgment email that Apple had received her iPod. Fast forward several more weeks and I am receiving my replacement Nano today and my wife hasn't even received the update email saying that her Nano has shipped. All these things add to a feeling of being not treated with the best customer service.

And once again - what I am going to do with my outdated, sweat stained 1st Gen iPod nano armband?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I totally expect that when the units arrive they will be 1st gen models, NOT new ones and the serial number thing was a fluke.

Why? Well a big part is the ***** storm that would happen when that one or two folks that already got their new 1st gen find out that someone else, under the same reason, got a current model. Remember sites love to post about Apple because it gets hits. And "Apple is evil" gets even more cause the haters and the lovers come calling.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Don't forget, it's not awesome until someone actually get one. Until then, everyone is guessing. You might as well just sit back and wait for some proof.

Go back a few pages, someone already got a 6G silver and posted the picture as proof.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
NOOOOOOO

Dude- chill..just get those white ear buds with a remote control on them....they are awesome for running (walking for me lol)...dont ever have to touch the nano itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.