Apple Now Testing High-Volume iPhone Push Notifications With AIM

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today invited a number of its iPhone OS 3.0 beta users to participate in a second high-volume test of Apple's Push Notifications system. This round of testing will use a developer preview of AOL's AIM instant messaging application and is scheduled to last for one week, leading up to the public launch of iPhone OS 3.0.
    Apple previously tested its Push Notifications system using a developer version of AP News.

Push Notifications will be deployed as part of iPhone OS 3.0 next week and serve as a substitute to allowing applications to run in the background on the iPhone, which Apple has determined would consume too much battery power to be practical. Push Notifications utilize external servers to alert users of updates, status changes, and other information for applications that are not currently running.

Article Link: Apple Now Testing High-Volume iPhone Push Notifications With AIM

2. JDee macrumors 6502a

3. swb1192 macrumors 6502

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am glad they are do a couple tests of this. They may run another one next week.

6. redrox5 macrumors member

This is working great for me. I really hope everything goes as smoothly as it should next Wednesday. I fear, however that not all the apps will be updated properly and whatnot...

7. Stargaze macrumors member

exciting to see that Push is finally a reality

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So if you disable push for an application does that mean you will appear offline in AIM for example? Or do they have a logout button?

9. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Let's hope the launch of push notification to the masses goes smoother than the launch of mobile me did. Looks like Apple has learned their lesson and is doing proper testing this time they launch a server intensive service.

10. leandromp macrumors regular

11. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

You can enter the code on a iPhone running the 3.0 GM seed to download the App.

EDIT: No you can't. It downloads but quits at the end of installing saying you need to connect to a PC. Bugger.

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

Apple is finally living up to their expectations thanks to their competitors, but makes me happy none the less.

Palm go to rest!

13. gibbz macrumors 68030

You can change how long until you are logged out.
    [​IMG]

14. pbkiller macrumors regular

I cant wait for Push notifications! Finally after so long, but Apple really needs to figure out a way for letting us know WITHOUT the annoying popup badge! I know it has the little number icon, i know it has the sound, but still is not good enough. The part where the time and the 3G signal service is always empty, Apple can use that! Sorry for the rant!!:D

15. Luigi193 macrumors newbie

=(

I didn't get an invite either, and I'm a registered dev... That's sad!

16. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I dont think that this testing is really as representative of what it will be like when 3.0 goes live to the public. Hence I can see the first few days / weeks being a bit rough until everything settles down.

Hope I'm wrong and it goes brilliant but thats my gut feeling.

17. dvkid macrumors regular

Makes sense

They start with AP: One message going to a lot of people.

And move to AIM: Lots of unique messages going to individuals.

Should be great when its all ready.

18. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

+2 :mad: and I really want to test out push notification with an IM app

19. dominoharvey macrumors newbie

not working

when i enter the code {code redacted} iTunes says "The code you entered is not recognized as a valid code." Am I doing something wrong?

20. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I'm very happy with Apple's approach the summer release this time around...

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

You didn't type "{code redacted}" did you? Just asking.

22. Bevz macrumors 6502a

I'm a registered dev too, but I didn't actively take part in the AP testing, perhaps apple are only selecting devs who helped out with the AP testing? Just a thought. Be a shame though as I'd love to test this. I have 2 iPhones, both running OS3 so I recon I could test it pretty well! ;) fingers crossed they're just slow sending out the emails ;)

23. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

I tested out the AP push notification, and did not receive an email to test this out yet. I am hoping they are just slowly sending out the emails too. I would think Apple wants to stress test the push notification system as much as possible

24. vega07 macrumors 65816

does push dramatically reduce battery life? just like push yahoo mail?

when I enable yahoo push, I notice a significant decrease in battery life.

25. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Palm is screwed. I don't know about you, but I've heard next to nothing about the Pre since the day they announced an official launch date. Oh well.. lol. :p