Apple Offering Free Year to Affected MobileMe Customers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

We've heard multiple reports that affected individuals who have asked for some form of compensation from Apple's customer service have been offered a free year of service.

Apple's MobileMe email outage affected approximately 1% of .Mac/MobileMe customers and involved some loss of email data surrounding the incident.

Article Link

2. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

I still think that 1% means 99% affected and 1% unaffected.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Roll on the mountain loads of "affected" users who are just trying to score a free ride...

4. kolax macrumors G3

5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Wow. That's nice of 'em. And to think at the time that my email wasn't working I thought it was a bad thing... :rolleyes:

6. reverie macrumors regular

That's ridiculous. People who lost their data because of MobileMe should get a full refund, no questions asked. If I were in the situation and Apple offered me more pain for another year I would feel insulted.

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Good to see longer compensations times for those affected. Hope they all get a year for free. If it improves and works like its supposed to then im glad for them. I have just signed up for the free trial. Have to october to see how it works out...:D

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Good to know that something is being done to compensate.

9. coolfactor macrumors 68040

MobileMe is a great service, and will get better. I was one of the 99% *not* affected by the rocky launch. 3.25 hrs of email outage during the wee hours of the morning was all. And a free month of service. I'm not complaining.

10. mpw Guest

I emailed them (from my gmail account obviously) on days 3, 4 and 5 I think asking that they refund and cancel my account, but they couldn't be bothered with any decent customer service. MobileMe is crap, in my experience, sooner my accounts lapse the better as far as I'm concerned.:mad:

I was without email/contacts for 4 or 5 days, I am complaining... not that it'll do any good.

11. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Just goes to show why Apple is far beyond all it's competitors.
    Anyone can be too ambitious and have a snafu,
    but Apple backs it up
    like no other company.
    And to all the whiners who think that Apple should have dropped everything they were doing, during those first 3-5 days,
    to handle their complaints; grow up. Your parents may think you are God's gift, but (shhhh) you're not!

12. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

People who lost their data should've backed up.

13. macaddiict macrumors regular

A month without email sounds awful... I honestly cannot imagine how much trouble that would cause.

The only trouble I experienced was a lack of web access for a few days... all "native" email, syncing, etc. seemed to work just fine.

But, a year free to affected members sounds fine. You have to remember, Apple doesn't have to do anything - I'm sure in the fine print MobileMe / .Mac clearly said that there was no uptime guarantee & no data loss guarantee, etc. like every other service out there. A year free is Apple saying "sorry, please give us another chance" and personally I think I would be happy with $100 in free service due to the issue.

14. mpw Guest

Isn't the point that Apple lost their emails before they got them?

15. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Unfortunately, the sense of entitlement people hide behind as an Apple user creates this vicious cycle of complaining. Damned if Apple does, damned if Apple doesn't. Maybe this is why the other companies don't give in to customer complaints, because they always come back with new complaints.

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

as someone said emails were lost before they got to the customer

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Chat assistance unavailable. Might be worth emailing the eu support email folks. Get in while you can.

Still having to deal with the inconsistent data error, basically stalling any attempt at syncing or backing up the contacts i have. Having lost my complete set of contacts more than once through MobileMe, I can sympathise with the "1%" who were /are actually affected by this. a year extra is much more commensurate - it's going to be a month or so before the service is even really out of beta level of quality.

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I still can't get my iDisk in Finder to work and can never get hold of anybody at Apple.

And why hasn't the Blog of Failure been updated?

Err--I mean MobileMe Status ;)

19. ciscored macrumors member

What is the email to mobile me support? Im on hold at the apple store now and even they dont know the email, chat is a fing 45 minute wait, there is no sign of the email on the help page.
    I was effected by the mobile me outage in a huge way. I think I more than deserve the extra year TIA

20. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

As Apple noted;
    MobileMe was the answer for the non-business, or small business user who did not have (or need) Exchange.

Exchange is Apple's entrance into the corporate world and everyone I have spoken to who has been using the iPhone with Exchange is very happy.
    These happy people are going to bring the iPhone into the large corporate environment quickly.

So if Apple had to have a launch issue, how lucky they are it was with MobileMe and not with Exchange.
    These facts, plus Apple's response to the MobileMe issue, assures me that Apple will continue to roll over the competition with it's new paradigm.

21. Iggy macrumors regular

Anyone know where to email (I'm in UK) to register my complaint? I don't wanna miss out on my well deserved compensation for being a "1%er!"

22. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Hopefully its not a mobile me address :)

23. mpw Guest

This is the url they told me to use: http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/contact.html

this is what you'll see;
    [​IMG]
    ...:rolleyes:

That's 14:00hrs-01:00hrs UK time btw.

24. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

For European (or at least UK) Customer services,
    contactus@euro.apple.com
    They do have a help line, but having something down in the system helps strengthen a case to get help and potential offer from Apple.