Apple Offering Pre-Approval for iPhone Upgrade Program Customers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noted in today's press releases for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple is offering pre-approval for the iPhone Upgrade Program ahead of when pre-orders kick off on Friday.

Existing and new iPhone Upgrade Program members can use the Apple Store app on the iPhone to undergo the pre-approval process to get pre-approved until 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time on Thursday, September 12.

[​IMG]

Pre-approval allows iPhone Upgrade Program members to purchase their new iPhones right away when pre-orders become available.

Customers who are part of the iPhone Upgrade Program (or want to be) can select their preferred iPhone, confirm their carrier, and get approved for a loan ahead of time, completing the purchase when pre-orders kick off.

Apple has started sending out emails to existing iPhone Upgrade Program members letting them know about the availability of pre-orders.

Apple also has an option when purchasing to use the Apple Card for financing to get three percent cash back on payments. Customers who plan to use an Apple Card won't get special financing options, but can also take advantage of the pre-order process.

The iPhone Payments financing option does not include AppleCare+, while the iPhone Upgrade Program does. Three percent cash back is available for iPhone Upgrade Program members who opt to use Apple Card for payments too.

Article Link: Apple Offering Pre-Approval for iPhone Upgrade Program Customers

2. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

3. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I have a corporate account so I can’t do it unless I use my parents account info.

But honestly these phones aren’t gonna sell out very quickly so I’m not pressed to do the pre-approval this year. Not really necessary.

4. ant the ninja macrumors 6502

ant the ninja

Does anyone know if two pre-approvals is possible? I did it for mine but I have two phones in the upgrade program. One is mine and one is my wife’s, I wonder if I could somehow get another pre-approval for her phone too?

5. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Yes you can

6. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I’ve been using AT&T next for the last few years but now I’m going to start using IUP since I will likely switch carriers within the next few months. Does anyone know if the carrier billing needs to match the billing address/name for the IUP application? The account is listed in WA but my address is in TX.

7. dstew201 macrumors 6502

dstew201

Gosh! Why does it feel like I just did this yesterday!?:rolleyes:

8. ant the ninja macrumors 6502

ant the ninja

Ahh I figured it out, I had to do it on my wife’s phone in order to get both pre-approvals. Weird but all set! Although I do wish I went green

9. travoose macrumors member

travoose

Did mine about three hours ago. All set for 8am Friday morning.

iPhone Pro, black, 256gb.

10. rcooked macrumors regular

Anyone happen to know which credit bureau they use? I’ve got a credit freeze in place, and didn’t know if I needed to unfreeze all or just one to go this route?

11. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

Can’t do any of it here. All we can do is view the full pricing, with a note we can start ordering on Friday.

I like lots of things about Canada. But man does it feel like we’re America and Apple’s poor cousin when it comes to stuff like this.

12. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

For some reason it says I’m not enrolled in the program.

13. eXoenDo macrumors regular

eXoenDo

I have monitoring on the big 3 (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) and have yet to see an alert although my preapproval went through. Maybe they use SageStream or one of those other off brand bureaus?

14. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Has anyone gotten a credit check notification? I’m currently in the IUP but I’m in a program right now where I can’t have any hard credit inquiries. :(

15. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

Anyone have issues with Verizon? I keep getting this error. “we are unable to verify your verizon account And complete your iphone approval.”

16. Henry S macrumors newbie

I guess they’re overloaded. I select which phone I want to trade, then get hung up.

17. MacBird macrumors 6502a

I'm glad Apple realized that ordering a phone at 3 AM on the East Coast is not exactly a great customer experience, 8 AM is much more reasonable.

18. Russell L macrumors regular

Russell L

Just did it. Also changed my Visa CC on file with Citizens Bank to my new Apple Card, so hopefully I’ll get the 3% daily cash each month.

19. felixroqu3 macrumors 6502

felixroqu3

I don't think people who live in the west coast would agree with you haha

20. grayyoung macrumors newbie

grayyoung

I’m having the same issue. Get a failure as soon as I select my current upgrade program enrolled phone. Can’t continue. Any ideas what’s going on?

21. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Looking from the positive side, they are improving the program.
    Looking from the negative side, damn, they are desperate to squeeze every single sales!

22. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I did this on the Apple Store App earlier this afternoon. 256GB iPhone 11 Pro in Midnight Green.

Honestly I wouldn’t even bother except it’s so easy now to upgrade and I’d still be paying the same for my XS regardless. If I had kept my old iPhone X, Apple would give $400 for a trade-in and Gazelle would give $291. Better off only paying for half an iPhone every year and always have the latest gear and AppleCare. It’s so convenient, especially with the new preorder time where I am.

23. mdelaney123 macrumors regular

If I join the Apple Upgrade program and pay with Apple Card, do I get 3% on each months payment?

24. koolaid-drinker macrumors 6502

25. MacBird, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019

MacBird macrumors 6502a

They can have an early breakfast, it's better than trying to go back to sleep at 3:05 AM. :) To make it more humane, Apple could start the pre-order at 7 AM Pacific and 10 AM Eastern. Maybe they are afraid that the servers get hammered too much.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2019 ---
    Yes, you should. I changed the payment method on the Citizen One website to the Apple Card and I get 3% cash back now.