Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has emailed customers enrolled in its iPhone Upgrade Program with instructions on how to get a head start on the iPhone 8 pre-order process.

iphone-upgrade-program-iphone-8-800x356.jpg

Apple advises customers to open the Apple Store app on their current iPhone, choose their preferred iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus model, and get pre-approved for an iPhone Upgrade Program loan. The window to get pre-approved ends tomorrow, Thursday, September 14, at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

Pre-approved customers can then return to the Apple Store app when iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus pre-orders begin on Friday, September 15 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time to complete the process.

This year, it appears that iPhone Upgrade Program members will be able to use a Trade-in Kit with a prepaid shipping label to return their old iPhone to Apple, rather than being forced to visit an Apple Store to complete the upgrade process. The mail-in option should make this year's launch a less frustrating experience.

While the iPhone X is Apple's new flagship smartphone, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus shipping estimates could become lengthy soon after pre-orders begin, so getting pre-approved is highly recommended.

Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program lets customers upgrade to a new iPhone after they have made at least 12 payments towards their current iPhone and trade it in upon upgrading. The full cost of the iPhone and included AppleCare+ coverage is spread out over 24 months with zero percent interest.

Here's the monthly cost breakdown for the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X in the United States. The program is also available in the UK.

iphone-upgrade-program-x-8-8-plus.jpg

At this time, the pre-approval process doesn't appear to apply to the iPhone X, which can't be ordered until Friday, October 27.

(Thanks, Timothy!)

Article Link: Apple Offering Pre-Approvals to iPhone Upgrade Program Customers Ahead of iPhone 8

StarDal

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
It does say in the Apple Store app "If you prefer to upgrade to iPhone X, you can do so at a later date".... also says in the footnote "You can only be pre approved once per phone number. Multiple attempts may cancel your pre approval". I'm taking that to mean that if you're wanting the X, then don't go through the pre approval process before that becomes available.

quinneverett

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
New York, NY
The bad thing is that every year under the iPhone Upgrade Program, there will be a HARD credit check on you. I am seeking advice on how to best upgrade from iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB Verizon to iPhone 8 Plus 256 GB Verizon. I am currently on the iPhone Upgrade Program, but was unaware I would be subject to an annual hard credit check every year under that Upgrade Program. The Verizon Device Payment Plan with AppleCare+ offers the exact same agreement for the exact same price without the annual hard credit check. I would like to switch to this plan, but Apple will not pay off my outstanding balance on my Citizens One loan if I do so. Instead, they would give me an Apple Store credit for the trade-in value. This value is less than the outstanding balance on the loan. So I am faced with paying the difference (approx. $75), or having a hard credit check. What should I do? Are there other options?

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Anyone see how to do this for a NEW IUP additional line (on one you already have)? I can do this for the phone I already have (but I'm going to do an X on that one, that;s an upgrade). I want to add an 8 on another line on my account, so this would be a new IUP setup. I click on the 8 and can't get any further in process because it's not available.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
So it sounds like this is only applicable to those currently enrolled in iPhone Upgrade Program and not new members?
Right, appears to be for 'normal annual upgrades' only.
[doublepost=1505314285][/doublepost]
Ridiculous pricing. I long miss the days of subsidized iPhones. I'm still using my iPhone 5 which I paid $200 for. It has a cracked screen now and not the best battery, but in retrospect, it was the steal of a lifetime.
Did you really not pay all/most of the difference on your carrier's fees?

quinneverett

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
New York, NY
So it sounds like this is only applicable to those currently enrolled in iPhone Upgrade Program and not new members?
That's correct. But see my comment on why the iPhone Upgrade Program is terrible. They run a hard inquiry every year on their customers. It's BS in my opinion. Verizon offers the same service with AppleCare+ for the same price but does not do a credit check every year...

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Ridiculous pricing. I long miss the days of subsidized iPhones. I'm still using my iPhone 5 which I paid $200 for. It has a cracked screen now and not the best battery, but in retrospect, it was the steal of a lifetime.

Did they discount your monthly plan after you didn't take advantage of another subsidized phone purchase? If not, you have been effectively overpaying for your service and would have been better off upgrading and selling the old devices.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Right, appears to be for 'normal annual upgrades' only.
[doublepost=1505314285][/doublepost]
Did you really not pay all/most of the difference on your carrier's fees?

I have a competitively priced unlimited data family plan that I was grandfathered into. It's so good I wanted to get locked into the 2 year contract. The $199 iPhone fit this bill perfectly.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
That's correct. But see my comment on why the iPhone Upgrade Program is terrible. They run a hard inquiry every year on their customers. It's BS in my opinion. Verizon offers the same service with AppleCare+ for the same price but does not do a credit check every year...
They don't necessarily run a hard pull every year. They do for some and don't for others

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I am beginning to feel the phones will not be the only creative endeavor taken here. Creative ways to finance or buy a very expensive phone are sure to be implemented as well. I feel sorry for consumers. We are being lead down a rabbit hole of expensive products that we will be making payments on for years to come.
Uh, yeah. That's why Apple is so rich. All of these devices basically just serve as expensive advertising and sales portals. They really don't add much utility to our daily lives.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

With the carrier subsidies they built a fee into the contract that passed the cost of the phone onto you, but unlike the current installment plans those fees didn't come off the account after the contract was completed. So if you bought a phone and were still using it three years later you actually paid over list for the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.